First Time in Tortola and St. John - Help Us Blue Water...You're our Only Hope

worrywartmama

This will be our first trip to Tortola and St.Thomas/St. John on DCL Cruise April 8th from Orlando on Star Wars Day Cruise. Sailing with wide range of ages: 6, 11, 15, 16, 18, 40 somethings and 70 yr old mom. Thanks so much (especially Blue_Water) for all the helpful info that have helped me narrow our choices.

Tortola:

I think I'd like to take the group to Long Bay or Josiah's on Tortola. I think the surf school at Josiah's would be great fun for the kids. My concern is my mom needs shade. Can I rent umbrellas? Are restrooms fairly accessible? Drinks/Snacks are close? If not, I'm thinking Long Bay.

St.Thomas/St.John: I am leaning towards the taking the ferry over to Cinammon bay for a relaxing beach day. Is this do-able with DCL schedule? Again, is there shade/umbrellas and are restrooms accessible? Drinks/Snacks?

Main concern is comfort of mom, accessibility to restrooms and our time constraints.

Any help is appreciated.

It looks like you are in port at Tortola from 8:30 - 5:45 so you have a nice day there.

We haven't yet been to Josiah's Bay so I cannot be of much help there. I know there is a drink/snack bar on the beach but I'm not sure about restrooms or shade. I agree the surf school would be a really fun day, and I would contact the surf school directly with these questions to get reliable and current information.

Long bay is another good option, it can also be a bit rough there but the east end of the beach is less rocky for swimming. Nice beach to watch the pelicans dive and enjoy the island views.

You are the only ship in port so a great day to see beautiful Tortola!

For St John and Cinnamon Bay you are in port from 8 - 4 so not a lot of time but you can certainly go to Cinnamon Bay for awhile. You dock at Havensight and should easily make the 9AM ferry from Red Hook to Cruz bay and then take a taxi to Cinnamon. Again, a very easy self-excursion to do on your own. The round trip taxi, ferry, and taxi is about $48pp for adults. You'd want to take the 2PM return ferry and that would give you about 4 hrs there, or the 1PM return and have 3 hrs there. Ferries run both directions on the hour. Cinnamon was recently updated and is back open with many amenities. I would check the "Spending a day on St John" thread on the St Thomas forum to see if umbrellas are readily available and where the restrooms are. Host Anne can answer your questions on that as she spends more time on STJ. We're more a fan of Sapphire Beach and other beaches on the East End of St Thomas and if you decide going to St John is more traveling than you want Sapphire or Coki would be a good beach choice.

Welcome to cruise critic, and enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks a bunch for the response blue_water. I'll definitely follow-up with Host Anne about Cinnammon. Hope you don't mind a couple more follow-up questions:

1. Being the only ship while in Tortola sounds awesome! Do you recommend a taxi tour of the island before going to Long Bay or Josiah's? Sounds like we might have time?

2. Are there public restrooms at Sapphire? I think I read older posts where it said there were none. (My mother would definitely need that)

Thanks!

Thanks a bunch for the response blue_water. I'll definitely follow-up with Host Anne about Cinnammon. Hope you don't mind a couple more follow-up questions:

1. Being the only ship while in Tortola sounds awesome! Do you recommend a taxi tour of the island before going to Long Bay or Josiah's? Sounds like we might have time?

2. Are there public restrooms at Sapphire? I think I read older posts where it said there were none. (My mother would definitely need that)

Thanks!

Really depends on what you want to do while on Tortola. A 3 hr island tour with a 1 hr at CGB is about $25pp for adults and a good option for a tour. Or take the tour and stay at the beach and pay $8pp for adults for a return taxi.

But if you want beach time you can see some of the island on the way to the beach.

Yes there are restrooms at Sapphire as well as abundant natural shade, you'll want to head straight there in order to find a shady spot for everyone if you want that (no umbrella rentals because of the shaded area) but you should be fine. Sapphire is our favorite St Thomas beach - here is a web cam and a drone video link if you haven't seen it -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water

Really depends on what you want to do while on Tortola. A 3 hr island tour with a 1 hr at CGB is about $25pp for adults and a good option for a tour. Or take the tour and stay at the beach and pay $8pp for adults for a return taxi.

But if you want beach time you can see some of the island on the way to the beach.

Yes there are restrooms at Sapphire as well as abundant natural shade, you'll want to head straight there in order to find a shady spot for everyone if you want that (no umbrella rentals because of the shaded area) but you should be fine. Sapphire is our favorite St Thomas beach - here is a web cam and a drone video link if you haven't seen it -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Thanks for all of the valuable information blue_water! Very appreciative. Can't wait!!