Mattress Toppers on Freedom

Can anyone tell me if RCCL is now putting egg crate toppers on all beds - or still by request only?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did a special needs request prior to my recent Freedom cruise and a foam topper was on my bed when I arrived, very comfy mattress and bedding.

I did a special needs request prior to my recent Freedom cruise and a foam topper was on my bed when I arrived, very comfy mattress and bedding.

I also requested the foam topper through special needs prior to boarding in November and the room steward stated that he would comply....but really recommended that I elect the second duvet.

When I thought about it.....I was all for a washed duvet.

Did you call for this request or send an email? If email can you post the address please?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When we were on Freedom in June, our kids' room had them. Ours did not. I asked our steward and was told they were doing away with them little by little and there weren't any extras to be had. Our first night's sleep was horrible. I begged for something. I mean it was bad. By the time we got back from CoCo Cay, there were toppers on our bed. Our steward made sure we knew how lucky we were and that they would be tossing ours and our kids' when we docked in PC.

I get the unsanitariness of them. But damn those beds are horrible w/o them.

How early in the process should I contact special needs? I have arthritis in my neck and lower back and must maintain alignment when I sleep. I can't bring a separate suitcase just for bedding. Am I more likely to receive the accommodation if I contact them earlier or closer to departure?

Royal Caribbean has pretty much done away with egg crate toppers, as they say they are not really sanitary.

We always ask for a bed topper, and now they are using the duvets, under the bottom sheet, which are washable, and we find them just as comfortable as the old egg crates.

Just got off the Oasis, and the bed in our JS was very comfortable.:)

Rick

Can anyone tell me if RCCL is now putting egg crate toppers on all beds - or still by request only?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only if you beg and they have a good explanations. My cabin steward stated that the egg crates could not be cleaned.....therefore they were unsanitary. Instead, he used a a second duvet to provide comfort.

Well, if I answer the first quote, they must be putting them on all as we had one and I never asked. I did talk to someone as we were exiting the ship though and they said their bed was hard, so that implies they don't. Maybe this is an oundocumented Diamond benefit or they didn't take it off from the previous cruise.

On Liberty, our steward said we didn't need them w/ the new mattresses. But we did. Still nothing was as bad as Celebrity Infinity.

On the Celebrity Infinity, they forgot the mattress toppers, and it was so uncomfortable, we ended up phoning the concierge desk at 2 am. That's after trying to sleep on extra pillows the other side of the bed, the love seat, etc. In fact, it was so bad, if they hadn't fixed it, we would have disembarked at the first port of call.

Our worst night was at the Bar H Dude Ranch east of Abilene. They used box springs in place of mattresses on some of the beds. And we ended up spending several hours in our car. The next morning, we checked out. They had a no refunds policy, two nights minimum, but we managed to get charged for only the one night.

Beds make a difference!

Edited by knittinggirl