Things to do for kids in NOLA

Starflyr3

We are heading out on NCL Dawn in March, but I arranged to spend an extra night pre-cruise in NOLA (Hampton inn). Our kids are 5 and 8. Any "can't miss" things that would appeal to that age group? None of us have ever been there before.

Thanks!

We were just there last weekend and didn't do this personally but a friend took her three girls (7, 8, and 11) to the Mardi Gras museum, I'm not exactly sure of the name. She said it was great and the girls LOVED it. There is also an aquarium right off Canal St. The street cars are fun too if you don't have them where you live.

Mardi Gras World is great. My then 4 and 8 yo both enjoyed it. There is also a good children's museum, the aquarium, and the insectarium all in the French Quarter/Central Business District area.

For walking in the FQ, I highly suggest Royal Street. Great mix of art galleries and interesting shops, without the shenanigans of Bourbon Street.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Looks like Mardi Gras World is walking distance from the hotel, so that seems good. Maybe we'll do French Quarter or Insectarium also. We will see. Have to be rested to be able to endure a week of vacation on a boat, you know!

:D

Just got back from NO with my 9 yo (not a cruise trip). She loved the Louisiana Children's Museum, especially the little "grocery" store and "cafe". We were able to get in free because of a reciprocity with a museum we are members of near home.

If you do go to Mardi Gras World, they have a AAA discount, if you are a member.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Zoo is wonderful. You can spend a few hours there - especially if the weather is nice. The Aquarium is right next to the port. There are packages with the zoo, aquarium, insectarium and Imax, too. I would skip the insectarium unless you have package deal. The butterfly exhibit is nice, but the rest is just OK. We are members of all, so we go several times a year.

http://audubonnatureinstitute.org/

The Louisiana Children's Museum was a favorite of my kids when they were little. Your kids are the perfect age for it. It is fairly close to the port.

http://lcm.org/

Enjoy!!