Currency for Fiji

BecL

Hi All,

Cruising in just over a month now (Yay!!!!) on Carnival Legend to South Pacific.

2 of the ports include Suva and Port Denarau in Fiji. Would like to have some local currency for small incidentals and was wondering if there are places close to the ship in these ports to quickly exchange money before tours etc or is it better to change money before departure?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Thank you for your replies.

Do you need to exchange a minimum amount when you use the money changers? And do they generally have decent exchange rates?

Thanks for your help.

It looks like Denarau is your first Fiji port ?

As you walk off the tender pier there, keeping Hard Rock on your right, there is a standalone currency kiosk just ahead.

This currency kiosk is in the middle of the 'mall'. I feel this would be a better option than buying currency before your trip.:)

However, I agree with other comments, that AUD is readily accepted although change from some vendors could be in FJD.

Thank you for your replies.

Do you need to exchange a minimum amount when you use the money changers? And do they generally have decent exchange rates?

Thanks for your help.

The currency exchange 'hut' in Port Denarau has a decent exchange rate and I don't believe there is a minimum amount to exchange or a fee. By that I mean that the bank usually has a flat fee of $15 or so.

We haven't bothered to change money, but I did check the rates on one visit to Port Denarau. As someone else said, take small AUD notes. Coins are no good at many places as they cannot bank them, but department stores like Jacks keep Aussie currency and (from memory) I think they accept Aussie coins.