What to wear

gleefull

I am a newcomer to cruising and am booked on britannia 10th February Caribbean cruise. Could someone please clarify what to wear and when. I understand formal night and have a suit for this. What I am concerned about is ordinary evenings wear in buffet restaurant, main dining rooms, bars etc. Are shorts, open toe sandals, flip flops allowed or frowned upon

Many thanks

David

I am a newcomer to cruising and am booked on britannia 10th February Caribbean cruise. Could someone please clarify what to wear and when. I understand formal night and have a suit for this. What I am concerned about is ordinary evenings wear in buffet restaurant, main dining rooms, bars etc. Are shorts, open toe sandals, flip flops allowed or frowned upon

Many thanks

David

Welcome to the boards. Prepare for an expensive habit.

Formal night you have covered.

Evening wear for casual nights..shorts/flip flops are not really suitable. possibly..maybe in the buffett, but MDR you should wear long trousers and smart top.

Haven't been on the big 3 to know if code is more lax on them...but shorts etc is ok for day wear anywhere, but not in the evening.

Edited by the english lady

The fact that you asked the question means you're bothered, if you weren't bothered you wouldn't ask. The big ships are no different from the others. You will find the majority of men wear a tux on formal nights in MDR( main dining room) a minority wear suit and tie. On casual night, no shorts or flip flops. Long trousers and short sleeve shirt are worn by most men. Although smart jeans and polo shirt are said to be accepted, in reality they are few and far between

I wear a suit with a bow tie, not a normal tie. Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't buy a dinner suit or tux if I were you, unless/until you decide you want to cruise more. I just haven't bothered even though I cruise often. The suit is still fairly new and in good nick, so I stick with it.

We've been a few times to the Caribbean so my OH will wear something like light coloured chinos and a short-sleeved shirt on casual nights and that fits in what what the vast majority of men are wearing. Never seen flip-flops and shorts in the evenings but may be wrong. I wear mainly lightweight trousers and tops, sometimes strappy tops, or maybe a sun-dress or a cotton skirt and top but with sandals not flip flops.

Hope you enjoy cruising as much as we do :)

For info, there are self service launderettes on board which can help you pack lighter. Just pack a few detergent tabs in your luggage for use in the machine. There is no charge for using the launderette and each has washing machines, tumble driers, ironing boards and irons.

The launderettes are on each deck.

For info, there are self service launderettes on board which can help you pack lighter. Just pack a few detergent tabs in your luggage for use in the machine. There is no charge for using the launderette and each has washing machines, tumble driers, ironing boards and irons.

The launderettes are on each deck.

...and the ships general shop sells laundry tabs. I think they are around 50p each?

We have found that if weve been on a trip and got in later or tired we have gone straight up to the buffet in port wear, decent shorts/polo shirts , trainers etc... for an early evening meal. You can go quite casual in there although I wouldn't do flip flops/ beach wear which isn't allowed during the day anyway in the restaurants. If you don't want to get changed during the day there is a great grab and go outside the pool area and an area that offers pizzas, burgers etc... or there's always room service. Its lovely to get dressed up on the formal nights and I double up and wear a posh dress twice perhaps with different accessories. I take a black Dickie bow suit for the other half. For the main dining room a combination of black or white pants with silk/glittery interchangeable tops are good or light weight silk dresses. I try and keep to a capsule wardrobe. My other half usually wears a decent pair of dark navy jeans and a decent shirt which I would say is a smart casual option. One piece of advice is a good pair of comfy trainers with good grips on the bottom. There can be a fair bit of walking and I slipped over on my first ever cruise due to the sandals I was wearing.