St. Thomas/Snorkeling last minute

wbclucy

Hi we're going to be in St. Thomas in the 18th 10a-7p off the Allure of the Seas. I'm wondering if someone can give us some suggestions or reviews of places that have good snorkeling.

I talked to a guy from Fury but he was very rushed and took my cc info without giving me much info so I wasn't super impressed? Anyone been with them?

We've been to St. John before too so if there's a good snorkeling place that's easy to get a cab to I'd be open to that as well. Would also be open to a ship excursion at this point since we're booking so late.

I apologize because I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this but couldn't find a thread with what I needed..

Have not used Fury, we did enjoy New Horizons out of Sapphire marina, 65' sloop that takes more people than most ops. We moored off Honeymoon Beach in Caneel Bay and off Great St James. Yacht Nightwind and High Pockets are two other that are highly recommended if you want to see if any of them have space. They are all monohull sailboats. The 10 - 7 time in port may be a problem for many of the non-cruise line excursions if other ships are in port earlier...

If interested in off the beach snorkeling on St Thomas Coki and Sapphire are both good choices, would recommend Sapphire for a less crowded experience. You can save a good 1.5 - 2 hrs of round trip travel time by staying on STT versus going to STJ if that matters.

For good snorkeling on St John (worth your time spent traveling) you'd want to taxi to Red Hook for the ferry to Cruz Bay, STJ, then probably taxi to Maho Bay or if time allows Waterlemon Cay. There is a trail at Trunk which is much closer but from what we've been told by friends the snorkeling is not that great there. I'm sure STJ experts can help more with snorkeling advice there.

Good luck!

Edited by blue_water

Yes, you are docked in Crown Bay which is to the west of Charlotte Amalie on the map in the attached link, and Coki, Sapphire, and another snorkeling beach - Secret Harbor - are all on the East End. You will find taxis at the dock loading up folks and can find one going to Sapphire and Coki. Fare is $11 - $12pp each way.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

There is a ton of info here on the beaches and it can be hard when searching, but the search function helps.

We're on your cruise next week. Did Fury last time in St Thomas. I can tell you it was a great time. Not a crowd like on cruise line excursion. Capt Mike is very personable, had a very nice first mate. Check it out on TripAdvisor. Very highly rated and loads of pictures. Highly recommended. Here's hoping we have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're on your cruise next week. Did Fury last time in St Thomas. I can tell you it was a great time. Not a crowd like on cruise line excursion. Capt Mike is very personable, had a very nice first mate. Check it out on TripAdvisor. Very highly rated and loads of pictures. Highly recommended. Here's hoping we have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, this makes me feel better!! Although with Lee's note about the tides, I am a little weary about an independent now. I keep going back and forth ha - I am not good at last minute!

Here's hoping for a great one!

Edited by wbclucy

Rip tides have been bad this week in St Thomas snorkeling not allowed make sure you can get refunded if that is the case for next week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes there are flooding, high surf, and rip current advisories throughout the region - including the BVI - through Thursday and Friday. You can expect to see high seas and swift moving currents if moored off shore and also the more unprotected beaches during the winter months. One January we we moored off Honeymoon Beach in Caneel Bay, STJ and one strong swimmer needed help getting back to the boat and the beach was virtually covered in water.

So you'll need to be aware of the conditions the day you are there, and any daysail operators whether associated with the cruise line or not will modify their itinerary, or just not go out based on the forecast and current conditions.

Edited by blue_water