Pretty Disappointed . . .

travelbaybee

Well, that sounds great! and a wonderful response!!! Lucky for the people on that particular cruise! Glad to hear they are going the extra mile in this particular instance.:o

Celebrity goes over and above when necessary in order to satisfy their valued guests.

There is a sailing coming up in less than two weeks from now, it was a 14 night cruise or something like that, but due to some unforeseen circumstances, it has been shortened by the first two days.

For this, Celebrity is providing 2 nights pre cruise complimentary hotel and transfers for those that have pre-arranged flights and or as much as $250 towards flight schedule changes, as well as a $200 on board credit and 20% refund of cruise fares... if this isn't going over and above to provide their guests with more than expected as compensation for their minor inconvenience, I don't know what is.

After reading your response, I now feel as though this particular cruise line is definately one to stay away from. Seems that I'm seeing a pattern here!!! THanks for this email - you've definately shed more light on this line!!!

Boy, you couldnt be more off base! As an agent you should be more in touch with whats going on.

First celebrity cancelled two ports of call, Rome and Marseilles which were the highlights of this transatlantic crossing. They decided to spend 2 nites docked in Barcelona and gave no one any information at all.

When you called, you got very mixed and very wrong responses. We were totally misled and many were in fact given totally false information.

It wasnt till yesterday that they finally told everyone the truth and offered compensation. How good is that compensation? Not good at all. Putting you up in a hotel for 2 nites outside the city center and your meals are not covered. On board ship, they would have been. Having to move from one hotel to another on the outskirts of town not near anything, not fun!

The 20 percent refund is based on cruise alone and not port charges or taxes which reduces it greatly.

We anticipated 14 days at exotic ports and now have 12 and the best ports are eliminated. Who knows if we will even have 12, everything is still unclear at best. The boat is in drydock and little is known. While we feel bad that Celebrity had to change all its plans for drydock they should have been upfront with their customers, told us the truth and given us the option to cancel.

We do not have the option to cancel. And you if you read the almost 70 pages on this board you will see how the passengers are not only unhappy but rather frustrated and miserable at how things were handled and what we are being forced to accept. This is being more than generous?????

Sorry, I dont think so.

One plans for a vacation and saves and anticipates. This was fraught with nothing but aggravation and more aggravation. Thats no way to enjoy a vacation.

I'm back. Sorry I'm not a "regular" - please accept my apology. However, I have been on a minimum of 20 cruises in the past 25 years and many of those cruises have been with RCCL - with wonderful memories.

Some people have to work, hence the lack of response until now - just to clarify things. Also, never having posted on this site before I had no idea of how quickly people would respond.

Joke post? If only that were true. May you enjoy your NEXT cruise on Celebrity as much as I did.

Bless you.

I recognize some of the posters here as "regulars", don't you all notice that ONCE AGAIN, this is a first time poster complaining about Celebrity with their one & only post on the Celebrity boards??????? They never come back to post responses to all the people who respond to their original "joke" post.:rolleyes:

Yep,

that's about it. I'm aware of the wedding also - and, although I didn't go into all of the details of everything I was hearing about, I suppose all of that is what has been fueling my irritation.

Glad to hear you had a good time waiting - unfortunately I didn't have the same experience. By the time we boarded the ship my knee was the size of a bowling ball. Yeh, it's my fault that I'm old, tired and my bodyparts are worn-out, but then, that's why I generally like to take cruises...a hum.

Itinerary changes sometimes can't be helped - something I do realize. However, as I'm reading thru more and more postings I'm seeing that this particular cruiseline seems to be making a pattern of this??? at the expense of the passengers. Not a problem in the end. As for me???? I'll choose a different cruiseline in the future.

Also, I had booked directly with the cruise line - guess what? No notification was received.

Your suggestion of not cruising to a port - but staying there directly I find very interesting. The point was go see if that was a place I would LIKE to visit for an extended period of time. Condescention is just so ugly, isn't it?

Also sorry that my disappointment falls short of what you would consider "valid". No, my wedding plans were not changed. No, I didn't disappear unexpectely off the cruise (as in Alaska). Does that mean I don't have a right to share??? I wish I had read the postings here before booking this cruise - .....but...that's my own fault. (I'll do better "next time")

:o

Let's hear another voice from someone on the OP's sailing. First off the sail date was Oct 29. Celebrity did not have any ships leaving from Ft Lauderdale before that.

Regarding embarkation, The Century had just returned from Europe so she had to go through Immigration with all members of the crew, she had to have her Health inspection, and she had to have a Coast Guard inspection. All this had to be done before any guests could board the ship. These are government regulations not X policy. Keep in mind there was a sizable contigent of B2B cruisers who were not allowed to remain on the ship at this time. They were also warned not to go to town due to Hurricane Wilma and the effects she left behind

Celebrity notified the Travel Agents that boarding would not start until 2:00. They sent out letters to those who booked directly with the line. Even with this notification, people started showing up at the dock at 10:00 am. We showed up at 10:45 am know we would have to wait. We had a good time talking with fellow cruisers who were aware of the situation.

Coast Guard inspection went well and X started boarding passengers at about 1:30 pm. But with the effects of Wilma still being felt in Ft Lauderdale, check in was slow. Computer problems caused by fluctating power slowed down check in. Now keep in mind, X had over 2000 people to check in in just over two hours. It's not possible. Based on the fact they had about 140 minutes to check people in before boarding time, they would have had to check in 7 couple every minute. As you know check in takes about 5 minutes if you entered your own info online, longer if you fill out your book.

The biggest problem was the lack of communication between the TAs and ther clients. People came in expecting a flawless boarding and it wasn't going to happen, not with Wilma and all the inspections that had to go on.

Now to the engine trouble. First off it seems as if the engine trouble was more a problem to me than it was to the OP. Yet, I have yet to complain. I will explain more later. There was also a couple who was due to get married in Barbados, more of a problem to them as well.

After two days at sea we arrived in St Maarten, we had a great day. As we are sailing out that evening the Captain comes over the loud speaker to announce they had lost the Turbo Charger on the Poppa P enging and it had to be shut down. With this we would be an hour late into St Lucia, Barbados would be fine and we would be 1 to 1-1/2 hours late getting to Antigua. They would not have to make any other changes as the parts would arrive from Greece in Antigua and they could do the repairs then. We would get back to Ft Lauderdale as scheduled. Well, here is where the problems started for me. We had an excursion planned with Eli's on Antigua, with the late arrival we could not make the tour. So we had to cancel. Hey it happends.

After a great day in St Lucia we get back on the ship and start to sail away. Once again the Captain comes over the loud speaker and lets us know that we would have further changes. The engine problems were a little more extensive than originally thought. They would not have all the parts they needed in Antigua, so further changes would have to be made. The head office had made arrangements to add St Thomas to our itinerary. There was no way we could make Barbados in our current condition. So once again I had to make a cancellation. We had a private boat charter in Barbados we had to cancel and possibly lose our deposit and possibly have to pay for the boat anyway as it was about 16 hours before our sail time. We worked with the Concierge and she helped us with calling to shore to work with the company. Maureen was great, no charges to us.

At the same time Ngawhira the Event Coordinator had to figure out what to do with the wedding. It was 16 hours before their wedding and now they weren't going to the port. She was great getting the wedding moved to St Thomas.

Now those are more serious problems than, "I've been there before".

As it stands, the cruise contract states that the cruise line can change the itinerary due to weather or mechanical problems without notice. So once you step on the ship, you have agreed to the contract. Therefore nothing is due to you if they miss or reschedule a port. If one port is that important to you, why go on a cruise and go there for one day. Take your entire vacation there. You don't get a true sense of an island by spending one day there.

X was great with regards to ensuring us 4 ports. X could have easily just dropped Barbados and left us with three islands. As it was, they did everything they could to ensure us of 4 ports. They also had to pay the port charges in Barbados and ST Thomas at no cost to us.

Yes, it was disapponting, but in no way should your vacation have been ruined. It's the first time in my 10 cruises this has happened to me and the second time in my wifes 20 cruise.

These things happen, and a bad day on a cruise ship is better that a good day at work any day.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. I was able to get some good information from the Hotel Director and Captain about these problems.

Well, there were some good things: the food was great, the service was also very good. Entertainment was pretty "poor" - but then, I'm a musician and was just expecting more??? I dunno. The public areas could have been cleaner... There was no lost luggage, and the luggage did appear at our room in a timely manner (which was nice).

:D

...What about the rest of your cruise????????????????????????

Hello everyone,

Seems to me Celebrity is going ahead to do what they wanted. They knew what's going on but fool all of us. One simple apology and offered only two choices and that's that.

France and Rome is the only is the only reason we booked with this cruise but now what..

We got the time off from work a year ahead, baby/house sitting the whole lot. What can we do but to go since there is no other choice but the only two offered.

What can we do as a group together with all our agents?

Really fair is fair. Also, may be that's not the end of our ordeal.

Bayako

I think the other people have given the story of what happened on board with the challenges getting on the ship, as well as the challenges with our ports of call on this ship. As noted, it was on our roll call that we would not be able to board the ship until after 1pm. However, our TA (Expedia) never informed us of anything. We arrived at approximately 2pm, and the place was a absolute zoo. For those who are familar with Pier 18 at Port Everglades, the line went from the doors of the building all the way to the end of the building and around the corner (approximately 300-400 people deep). After you finally got into the building (about an hour later), you found that you had to sit and wait with about 500 people for your turn to go through security. However, they only had 2 scanners open, so the bottleneck was enormous. Then, we had to stand in another long line to actually check in for the cruise. After about 2 hours of this madness, we finally were able to get onboard.

X could have done several things in order to improve this situation. The most obvious thing would have been to have more than 2 security lines open. Most of the other passengers were elderly and needed assistance with their bags, valuables tray, as well as answering questions. They could have also treated it like any other hotel room would have. What would have been the challenge with checking everyone in, and then telling them to come back after 2 to board (with the extra security staff, that would have been a breeze)? .

Just curious. The last time I sailed out of Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale, there was major tie ups getting into the port area due to tightened security. Once you entered the port area, you really couldn't leave. Were they still checking ID's at the port gates?

In the terminal, there were always only 2 security lines. I don't remember there being more than that.

I do agree that if they had a list of who was staying at which hotel so they could advise people not to come to the port right away. But one thing we do have to keep sight on, which is something that I have not heard here. The sailing was October 29. Hurricane Wilma hit on the 25th. Things were not back to any kind of normalcy in all of South Florida by the time of this sailing and they still aren't. Relatives of ours were without power for 4 days and life is still not the same. Nerves there are frayed so how about cutting the shore staff at embarkation some slack. The majority of our Celebrity cruises have been out of Lauderdale and we have never had a problem.

Yes, I do agree that things should have been handled differently, but we have to remember that some of the shore staff may have had their own troubles stemming from Wilma.

There will always be something wrong, somewhere, but you have to exercise something that I see that has been lacking not only on all boards but all over:

PATIENCE!

Anita

I think trying to draw a parellel between being inconvenienced by a cruise line and the airlines or DMV is a bit weak. Airlines sell transportation, not vacations. I think a better example would be this: suppose you booked a trip to New York City and expected to stay at the Plaza. You arrive, not having been warned that there is a change in plans, and are told that you will, instead, be staying at a rather lovely 4 star hotel in Newark, NJ. I'm sure Newark is lovely but I would still be disappointed to not be staying in Manhattan. You talk to a TA who tells you that you should have foreseen this and you should just be grateful to be on a holiday. I would find that annoying.

If I logged onto a cruise board and folks started prattling away about these things be typical, I wouldn't help but wonder why this is. Berating cruisers, who might be less experienced than folks who hang out on a cruise discussion group for not knowing the dubious ins and outs of cruising seems a questionable practise in self-congratulation. Criticising people for being discouraged that they didn't get the holiday they thought they were buying seems peculiar.

Sure, it's in the cruise contract but to go back to the airline example, if Delta told you that they had decided they were going to bus you from Boston to DC because of their own issues, you might not choose Delta too often. What is odd are the people who say that one line or the other constantly changes itineraries once they've been paid for and still cruise on that line. Takes all sorts.

I think trying to draw a parellel between being inconvenienced by a cruise line and the airlines or DMV is a bit weak. Airlines sell transportation, not vacations. I think a better example would be this: suppose you booked a trip to New York City and expected to stay at the Plaza. You arrive, not having been warned that there is a change in plans, and are told that you will, instead, be staying at a rather lovely 4 star hotel in Newark, NJ. I'm sure Newark is lovely but I would still be disappointed to not be staying in Manhattan. You talk to a TA who tells you that you should have foreseen this and you should just be grateful to be on a holiday. I would find that annoying.

If I logged onto a cruise board and folks started prattling away about these things be typical, I wouldn't help but wonder why this is. Berating cruisers, who might be less experienced than folks who hang out on a cruise discussion group for not knowing the dubious ins and outs of cruising seems a questionable practise in self-congratulation. Criticising people for being discouraged that they didn't get the holiday they thought they were buying seems peculiar.

Sure, it's in the cruise contract but to go back to the airline example, if Delta told you that they had decided they were going to bus you from Boston to DC because of their own issues, you might not choose Delta too often. What is odd are the people who say that one line or the other constantly changes itineraries once they've been paid for and still cruise on that line. Takes all sorts.

very well said, thanks.

Hi!

- but people were getting EXTREMELY irritated - and I actually saw a future passenger take a swing at an employee!!! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was quite intimidated that day with what was going on in that building. I was frightened and concerned for my own well being (is that selfish???) It was getting very rough because people were at the end of their rope. ....

That's awful...but what first comes to mind when I read that is not, 'what's wrong with the cruiseline?' but, 'What's wrong with PEOPLE??'

I had a 'bad' embarkation experience on my last cruise out of NY...bad is a relative term I guess, but it was my worst embarkation for sure.

The thing I noticed was that when a few people start to get aggitated, it becomes contagious and before you know it you have a LOT of angry people.

It's a shame we all don't have the common sense to stay calm, breath a little and just wait patiently. It would make a huge difference.

I'm not trying to downplay the cruiselines responsibility to make it's paying passengers comfortable, but we have to take responsibility for ourselves first and foremost.

It ain't what life throws at you, it's how you respond to it.

I agree that the OP has the right to be disappointed. But where I have a beef is when people feel the cruise line owes them $$$.

Using your example of hotels. This will be a little closer than changing hotels. You book with a Las Vegas hotel for your vacations. One of the entertainment options is Wayne Newton. Well, after you check in and spend a day, Wayne gets sick and can't perform the show you were going to. So the hotel makes some quick calls and gets Tom Jones to fill in for Wayne. You've seen Tom before and are disappointed. Yes, you miss Wayne, but they have offered equal entertainment. You can either go to the show and have a good time, or choose not to go.

It's the same way on the ships. The ship is your destination and the islands are your daytime entertainment. Keep in mind out of 4 ports we lost one, Barbados, and gained one, St Thomas.

Yes, it's disappointing, but the option of St Thomas is far better than just cutting the cruise to two or three islands. They could have done the easy thing and started heading back to Fla after St Lucia. They could not make it to Barbados and Antigua on time with the way then engines were. They could not have made it back to Fla on time if they had done Antigua on Friday. So the easiest cheapest option would have been to start sailing back to Florida then. Not calling Antigua and moving up a day as well as contacting all the tour companies to see if they could handle the ship on 24 hours notice. Not contacting St Thomas and seeing if they could stop there and once again calling all the tour companies and seeing if they could handle the extra ship in port that day. Instead they made arrangements for two more port days. I thought that was great.

With so many people it's woe is me. Instead of looking at the negative side of what happened. Try looking at all X had to due in an attempt to keep 2000 people happy. What's the saying spit happens.

X took the lemons of the dead engine and made lemonade, when they could have made us suck on the lemons of the dead engine

I was very disappointed as our best plans were set for Barbados and Antigua. Had to cancel all my plans. But rather than being there on the ship in my misery, I made new plans and had great times in both ports.

As I said, people have the right to be disappointed, but don't expect the cruiseline to give you money back. They did everything they did to give you a great vacation. Some things are just beyond their control.

Using your example of hotels. This will be a little closer than changing hotels. You book with a Las Vegas hotel for your vacations. One of the entertainment options is Wayne Newton. Well, after you check in and spend a day, Wayne gets sick and can't perform the show you were going to. So the hotel makes some quick calls and gets Tom Jones to fill in for Wayne. You've seen Tom before and are disappointed. Yes, you miss Wayne, but they have offered equal entertainment. You can either go to the show and have a good time, or choose not to go.

Interesting example. If Wayne Newton was sick and couldn't sing (and how would you tell the difference, any way, hee-hee), there would also be the offer of a refund. Nobody should be able to make you see Tom Jones. The UN would step in.

I think that the nuance of this whole thread, beyond calls for compensation which I also think are oft over-stated and too quickly made, is that this engine difficulty was not an unforeseen problem. This seems to be a recurring problem due to the failure of these engines. If that is true (and I'm only going by what one reads on these boards) then the line should actually be prepared for when this happens and should be better at accommodating the changing itineraries through improved customer service to those who miss their excursions and the like.

To take the Vegas example again, if I show up to stay at the Bellagio and they are over-booked (as happens) and I get walked over to MGM or Mandalay Bay, I'm going to be disappointed. I chose Bellagio because I wanted that hotel, not just some nice hotel in Las Vegas. Also, another thing that happens when people get walked over, MGM Mirage will likely comp one of my nights or will make other arrangements to keep me happy. Maybe they'll even get me free tickets to Tom Jones. :)

Actually, people's insurance would kick in under the trip delay clause.

This would not be an option to cancel the second cruise. The cruiseline would be responsible to refund the money of 2000 people.

Yes, the change of itinerary would kick in for people's insurance on your cruise, but not everyone buys insurance #1. #2 you are then pissing off all those who have to cancel their TA cruise because of the extra two day trip insurance or not.

So to make you happy, you would have X piss off 2000 on the 2 day cruise plus just for the sake of numbers 1000 on your cruise. Yes the number on your cruise may be a little high, but the cost of what you are proposing would be much greater than what they are doing. Plus it affects far fewer pasengers than your option.

The option they have choosen is the best option for the greatest number of people. You are just upset and want to lash out at everyone for the changes in your vacation. You best bet would be to take things as they come. Because in your present state of mind, you will have a rotten time on your cruise no matter how well they treat you on the ship. Go have a great time and then never book with X again. If you want to further punish X, don't spend any money while onboard the ship.

You may be noticing your arguments are for the most part falling on deaf ears.

Yes, it's unfortunate they had to make the changes they did. But maybe a bit of your ire should be pointed out at the union that went on strike as well as the rioters in France. They were the instigators of the changes that had to be made. X is bearing the brunt of the finacial responsibility of the changes.

Interesting example. If Wayne Newton was sick and couldn't sing (and how would you tell the difference, any way, hee-hee), there would also be the offer of a refund. Nobody should be able to make you see Tom Jones. The UN would step in.

I think that the nuance of this whole thread, beyond calls for compensation which I also think are oft over-stated and too quickly made, is that this engine difficulty was not an unforeseen problem. This seems to be a recurring problem due to the failure of these engines. If that is true (and I'm only going by what one reads on these boards) then the line should actually be prepared for when this happens and should be better at accommodating the changing itineraries through improved customer service to those who miss their excursions and the like.

To take the Vegas example again, if I show up to stay at the Bellagio and they are over-booked (as happens) and I get walked over to MGM or Mandalay Bay, I'm going to be disappointed. I chose Bellagio because I wanted that hotel, not just some nice hotel in Las Vegas. Also, another thing that happens when people get walked over, MGM Mirage will likely comp one of my nights or will make other arrangements to keep me happy. Maybe they'll even get me free tickets to Tom Jones. :)

There has not been a recurring problem with the engines on the Century class ship, I don't remember them ever having to cancel or postpone a cruise on that class for a similiar problem. M class ships different problem which Celebrity is suing the manufacturers for.

In response to the vegas analogy: I was returning from a month in mexico via las vegas. I decided to stay 3 days and booked a $29 pre-paid internet special at Paris Las Vegas. I was expecting the worst room in the place, but its a closet and bed when I'm in vegas. When I arrived, late inthe evening (yes i warned them I would be late), they had no regular room. I was given a $1500/night high roller suite for the duration of my stay. THAT is customer service. I've stayed with them again as a result (in a cheap room of course).

There has not been a recurring problem with the engines on the Century class ship, I don't remember them ever having to cancel or postpone a cruise on that class for a similiar problem. M class ships different problem which Celebrity is suing the manufacturers for.

And they don't tell people about the problem when booking either. Its called non-disclosure. That's why they put all the fine print in the contracts, to protect themselves.

First of, you are close but no cigar on this one. The engine problems you are refering to occur on the M class ships. The problems are also pod problems (propeller) and not engine problems. This was a fried turbo charger on the engine of a C class ships, no pods, and not gas turbine engines. This was not a recurring problem, but wear and tear on the engines.

Also keep in mind the Century was originally scheduled for drydock this fall. That all changed when they opted to overhaul the ship. Drydock was rescheduled for April with major changes to be made. They made inspection of the ship last winter and felt the additional 6 months before drydock would not be a problem.

As to being prepared with regard to ports and excursions, I thought they did a great job. To change two ports and get excursions set up in about 18 hours is great. Concierge and the Event Coordinator work very hard to minimize the complications of the port changes. Dealt with both, so I know.

For most of us on this CC Board that have taken Celebrity as our Cruise Co of choice we are very postive about the experiences we have had.

There are many loyal X customers and I am one of them.

Sometimes "SHIP HAPPENS" as in this case and I am not going to shoot the dog cause he messes up once in a while.

I have taken a bunch of X cruises and this is the first SNAFU I have encountered so what the "F" I say...

Make the best of the situation. Celebrity is still the best in customer service,, wait to you get your first glass of champagne once walking onto the ship,, all will be forgotten (hopefully).

Plzz dont give the Ship Personal a bunch of "S",, they had nothing to do with this SNAFU. I am sure they are dreading the stampede of angry, mad customers to the Customer Service Desk.

Lets have a great time and move forward!!

idssms

Chessbriar - do you work for Celebrity of one of their PR firms?

No. I was on the ship and worked with the people on the ship as well as talked with a number of officers on board time and again.

I also to tend to be as narrow minded as others. I've learned to roll with the punches and enjoy myself. If you spend your time focusing on the negative, you miss all the good around you. I've done that before on Carnival. Realized it too late and had a bad time. Would I sail with Carnival again, YES. I realized my mistake and learned from it.

Life is too short to spend looking at the bad. Besides the good is so much more fun.

Just a personal Philosophy.

After Wilma hit and I didn't know if I had a hotel or what I was going to do. I never worries. Hope for the best and Plan for the worst. So when, things went bad, I was able to readjust in short order. Had a Great time.

For most of us on this CC Board that have taken Celebrity as our Cruise Co of choice we are very postive about the experiences we have had.

There are many loyal X customers and I am one of them.

Sometimes "SHIP HAPPENS" as in this case and I am not going to shoot the dog cause he messes up once in a while.

I have taken a bunch of X cruises and this is the first SNAFU I have encountered so what the "F" I say...

Make the best of the situation. Celebrity is still the best in customer service,, wait to you get your first glass of champagne once walking onto the ship,, all will be forgotten (hopefully).

Plzz dont give the Ship Personal a bunch of "S",, they had nothing to do with this SNAFU. I am sure they are dreading the stampede of angry, mad customers to the Customer Service Desk.

Lets have a great time and move forward!!

idssms

Well said:)

My mistake, thanks for the correction.

HI Everyone

I will be on this cruise and hope I dont hear a lot of complaining from certain cruisers cause I will speak up. Nothing ruins a good time or a good team or a good company then a bunch of constant complainers, you know those negative individuals you hate associating with...

I cant wait to leave next week, get to BCN, get to my assigned hotel and have a blast with my wife!!!

Then on Sunday I get back on the Millie... I took it over to Europe in May 05 and now am taking it back to FLL....

We are thrilled about this adventure and since my wife and I are human like everyone else, we accept that things happen... Why someone is on with "diarrhea of the pen" with ten million posts bitching and complaining is beyond me... I am glad I am alive, didnt get killed in Wilma or didnt get sent to Iraq... Could be a lot worse everyone than missing two days at sea or two ports,, or not getting the tax refunded on port fees or port charges, WOW ,,, get a life!!

If anyone recognizes me from my pics, come over and say HI... But no complaining plzzzz... Lets all make Lemonade. I know the Brass on this cruise and they are the best, most customer service oriented folks I ever met.. Keep the moaning down to a minimum plzzz,, its not Captain Karatzas' fault..

See you all onboard!!!

Don

Archived