Gold Coast after cruise

aussiedisneyfan

A couple of places we have stayed at is turtle beach and diamond sands (staying here at christmas) both have lovely pools and full units. Daimond sands is the beach side of the highway and across from pacific fair.

Turtle beach is actually two identical blocks next to each other and both have multiple poole tennis courts, shop, cafe, Games room, movies shown in theatrette, and seems safe(fenced for small children to wander around)

To get to the beach from turtle you have to cross main road but there is a small bunch of shops right opposite.

Both of these are in broadbeach. Check them out but being school holidays it may be difficult. We went to turtle beach about 3 years ago when i first opened and havent been able to get a booking there since> we need to go in school holidays. We did get in at another daimond ***** not sure of name last year that was very cheap for school hols but only have a pool more like a normal resdiental block but very close to restauranrs again other side of highway.

hope you find something. I booked ours in april and in june tried to find something very cheap for my sister to come with us, No luck We have now paid the difference for her in a dearer place close to daimond resort.

You can try Crystal Bay resort.

http://www.crystalbay.com.au

they do 2 bedroom apartments and are only about $1300 (for 8 nights) for a family in Jan.

Nice place, reasonably new (3-4 years old) full kitchen, 2 bedrooms (1 Q and 2 X single) across the raod from the beach and nature reserve.

They are in Southport, which is the northern side of surfers, just past Australia Fair. Its quieter then the main drag of surfers which would suit families.

Nice pool and spa, park across the road with swings and stuff.

They have availability in Jan too at the moment.

Cheers,

Dan

You may wish to look at any of the last minute accom sites. There are several of them. However a word of caution is that it is peak time so you may be limited by choice. The site should give you the ability to see what sort of accom is available to give you an idea anyway and then you can call them direct. A few of the sites I have used are:

www.wotif.com (now allows bookings out for 4 weeks)

www.ratestogo.com (bookings for next 21 days)

www.lastminute.com.au (also has car hire and a few other things)

www.checkin.com.au

We have never had a problem using any of the above places. For people who are travelling to a Sydney cruise from elsewhere and are having a little extra time there I can highly recommend Meriton World Tower which are high rise serviced apartments in the city. They are only a short walk to Darling Harbour.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Thanks for your suggestions. All three resorts mentioned were ones we were considering. My main is that it MUST have airconditioning. We will be hiring a car so it doesn't have to be in the middle of everything.

Keepcruising has stayed in Crystal Bay and like it.

Chaz, we have stayed at Meriton Westport in Parramatta a couple of times and really like it. I would imagine the city ones are just as good. The locations certainly are great.

We stayed at Copacabana, it's on Hamilton Ave if I remember rightly, just a couple of blocks from Cavill Ave. This is a great family, low rise apartment block. When I was last there it was very family orientated. Had the usual - bbq area, outside pool as well as indoor pool, great tropical surrondings with waterfalls. This one's not in all the travel brochures though.

My advice would be, Don't :)

As you can probably tell, I'm not a big fan of the Gold Coast!

Seriously though, not sure about accomodation down there as I try to avoid staying down there. Day visits to the theme parks followed by fish and chips on the beach at Surfers is about as much as I can handle!

Kym

Hi, not really a cruise question but figured all the Aussies hang round here.

We are thinking about staying on the Gold Coast after our Jan cruise for a couple of days. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Looking for a 2 bed serviced apartment.

Thanks for your honest opinion kym. We always used to stay at Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast when I was a kid and I thought it was much nicer. We want to visit the theme parks so GC seems the easiest option. Got to experience it once. :)

You may wish to check out www.hotdockets.com.au before heading to the Gold Coast if you are thinking of visiting the theme parks. Did you know that you can print out shop-a-dockets and use them! There may be a special on at the time. They often have adults at kids prices or buy 3 tickets get one free. Also maybe a few other "bargains" you could check out and use.

A handy tip for anyone else who is looking for a bargain or never seems to get any of the "good" shop-a-dockets when they go shopping.

Cheers,

The theme park shopper dockets aren't usually valid over the school holidays - we've been looking as we have family up over Christmas and so far they all expire on the 16th December.

RACV/NRMA/RACQ or your local equivalent will probably be able to sell you tickets much cheaper than the gate prices, which are currently up around $60 per adult.

kym

You may wish to check out www.hotdockets.com.au before heading to the Gold Coast if you are thinking of visiting the theme parks. Did you know that you can print out shop-a-dockets and use them! There may be a special on at the time. They often have adults at kids prices or buy 3 tickets get one free. Also maybe a few other "bargains" you could check out and use.

A handy tip for anyone else who is looking for a bargain or never seems to get any of the "good" shop-a-dockets when they go shopping.

Cheers,

thanks for reminding me aussiedineyfan.

I have the entertainment book and need to book my tickets. Although we are only going to one theme park.It will be just after christmas and packed. I am going to hate it but it will be my brother (coming from Uk) his first time and my sister who lives here but hasnt been anywhere. They want to go. Yikes. I cant talk them out of it. I will enjoy it watching them have fun.

have you booked anywhere yet?

Still haven't decided. Hubby is keen for the Q1. I like the sound but not sure if I want to spend the money. The Chevron was another expensive one that sounds cool. A lot of the cheaper ones don't have aircon. Seabreeze is not enough for me.

We are waiting to hear back from our travelling companion to see if she wants to stay too. We may have a bit extra cash then, but will be looking for a bigger apartment.

I did suggest we go budget or not at all and go on another cruise instead but hubby was a no go. :)

Tell me about it.

When we looked at options for our Jan cruise.

We were quoted $1400-$1800 for 7 nights

plus airfares/car hire or driving our own.

and that was room only. no food, no entertainment, no smooth rolling motino of the seas, no kids club...

Made the $5000 for a cruise seem like a bargain. It really puts it into perspective when you consider what you get for a cruise.

Dan

Archived