time change and ship phones

mjonis

I forgot to put this in my reviews, but while I still remember:

Another "con" we had on our cruise was that the ship time changed twice. Makes sense, but my issue was this:

DO NOT RELY on the time/wakeup phone call of their phone system. I work in IT, so I have to see *any* PBX or VOIP system that doesn't automatically adjust it's time accordingly. But MSC doesn't do that.

So when you see in your flyer thingy that ship time is "ahead" or "behind" one hour that night, do not do what we did which is:

Let's make a wakeup call so it'll wake us up at the correct time. Nope. We showed up at the MDR thinking it was 8:30 and it was 9:30. No breakfast for us. I informed them that the ship phones still showed the wrong time. Sure enough, even that afternoon, ship phone STILL has wrong time. granted, we did not starve (there was still the buffet) but it was yet another hassle on a highly disorganized and hassle-filled cruise.

BUT:

Apparently you have to magically know this (we found this out from our tablemates) that you have to pick up the phone and dial "any" number and THEN it'll update to the proper time.

Idiotic, IMO, but it is what it is.

So for any "newbies" out there to MSC (don't honestly know if other cruise lines have this same "feature" or not):

a) don't depend on the phone wakeup call to have the correct time

b) "use" the phone to get it to update properly.

I forgot to put this in my reviews, but while I still remember:

Another "con" we had on our cruise was that the ship time changed twice. Makes sense, but my issue was this:

DO NOT RELY on the time/wakeup phone call of their phone system. I work in IT, so I have to see *any* PBX or VOIP system that doesn't automatically adjust it's time accordingly. But MSC doesn't do that.

So when you see in your flyer thingy that ship time is "ahead" or "behind" one hour that night, do not do what we did which is:

Let's make a wakeup call so it'll wake us up at the correct time. Nope. We showed up at the MDR thinking it was 8:30 and it was 9:30. No breakfast for us. I informed them that the ship phones still showed the wrong time. Sure enough, even that afternoon, ship phone STILL has wrong time. granted, we did not starve (there was still the buffet) but it was yet another hassle on a highly disorganized and hassle-filled cruise.

BUT:

Apparently you have to magically know this (we found this out from our tablemates) that you have to pick up the phone and dial "any" number and THEN it'll update to the proper time.

Idiotic, IMO, but it is what it is.

So for any "newbies" out there to MSC (don't honestly know if other cruise lines have this same "feature" or not):

a) don't depend on the phone wakeup call to have the correct time

b) "use" the phone to get it to update properly.

Thanks for telling the world this. I'm cruising msc next week on a port intensive itinerary so good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I noticed that too last month!!

I wish it would have changed automatically or even if they would have provided that info to everyone by the phone or on the bed at night about how to change it manually....

Thankfully I didn't go by the phone time. And I usually bring along a small alarm clock.