Try Dive

cocobam

I see Royal Caribbean offers "Try Dive", a 30-minute scuba program in the ship's pool. But I don't see any of these sessions listed in a recent Allure Cruise Compass, and when I click on this on the RC website to "Learn More", it takes me to a Shore Excursions page. I'm confused - if it is in the ship's pool, how is it a Shore Excursion? I also don't see it on any Shore Excursions pages. Does anyone have experience with Try Dive?

If it's the PADI discover scuba diving try dive, you will need to learn some skills in the pool before you go in the sea. As you will have limited time ashore, I would expect them to do this in a pool to maximise shore dive time. I have lots of experience with PADI Discover scuba diving, but not on a cruise ship!

It is entirely possible that this is not a PADI thing, but if it is, I think that this is the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think those are different from the "Try Dive". On the RC website, it lists a PADI Open Water Diver course (which would include classroom and pool training, check-out dives in port, and PADI certification), PADI Discover Scuba program (which would include training and diving in port, but not certification,) then Try Dive, which is listed as just a simple 30-minute session in the pool - try breathing from a tank underwater, try out the masks and fins, etc. No port dives, no certification.

I see Royal Caribbean offers "Try Dive", a 30-minute scuba program in the ship's pool. But I don't see any of these sessions listed in a recent Allure Cruise Compass, and when I click on this on the RC website to "Learn More", it takes me to a Shore Excursions page. I'm confused - if it is in the ship's pool, how is it a Shore Excursion? I also don't see it on any Shore Excursions pages. Does anyone have experience with Try Dive?

They haven't been listed in the compass, but check the dive shop once you get on board. This is fun and a good chance to see what scuba is all about with little risk. And you will join me in the exclusive club of passengers who have been in the aquatheater pool! For more experienced scuba divers who only dive once a year like me, they offer a scuba refresher course that lasts about 90 minutes. I'll admit I did it just to get in the pool. But it was good skill practice since it was a year since my last dive.

Friends checked it out recently on Anthem (but was too late in trip to do) and it required a bit of class and pool time on the ship and then in one of the ports there is a certification dive which is done as an excursion:)

How deep is Anthem's pool? At least on the Oasis class you get to be completely submersed and not standing on a pool floor. I've seen a similar class on Freedom where the pool is only about 5 ft at its deepest. Doesn't seem quite the same.

I think those are different from the "Try Dive". On the RC website, it lists a PADI Open Water Diver course (which would include classroom and pool training, check-out dives in port, and PADI certification), PADI Discover Scuba program (which would include training and diving in port, but not certification,) then Try Dive, which is listed as just a simple 30-minute session in the pool - try breathing from a tank underwater, try out the masks and fins, etc. No port dives, no certification.

I think your description is pretty accurate. I see your on Allure soon. I did the refresher course on Allure and it was $65 back then and lasted about 90 minutes