Alaska in august?

dmtb518

We sailed on the Jewel in August last year and it was fine. Weather was warm. Salmon were running so the bears were feeding. Our day in Juneau had a very low cloud ceiling and all of the flight-tours were cancelled (float planes, helicopters),,, and not a day to go up the tramway,,,, into the clouds.

Done two early August trips....

• wildlife is active. Seen a few bears at Mendenhall and the salmon are jumping in Ketchikan.
  • Tracy Arm is ice free for visits to meet Sawyer..... in 2016, ships were not entering the 31 Arm until mid-August.
  • it's statistically the start of the wet season as September is best for storm chasers.
  • Future trips will be in July or earlier for me as I prefer dry weather in ports
  • weather in Cascadia is great!
  • Fireworks competition in Vancouver before embarkation if you are in town for that early August weekend.

Month by month review

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running. Some like these months as you can do back 2 back cruise getting to/from Alaska.
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer. Ice in some years can go into July! In 2016.... it was mid-August before ships went to Tracy Arm.
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities with bears and salmon
  • August starts to get statistically wet.... with storms more likely in September to fill the Ketchikan rain gauge. Check out the climate chart on this page.... http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/juneau/alaska/united-states/usak0116
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer seasonal opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion on those popular days.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!
  • http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2667

Edited by xlxo

• 2 weeks later...

We found out on our cruise to Alaska on the Pearl that the entire month of August is considered "vacation" month for several Asian countries, so we had a substantial amount of "kids/teenagers on our cruise, about 900 according the ships staff and it creates quite a different experience. I'm all for kids having fun, but the blatant disrespect and lack of consideration and manners was appalling! We're going back this year, but in June/July to avoid this experience again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi-

Planning to go back to alaska in august. Have been there all other months. Hiw does august compare?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

During the week that we cruised Alaska, the weather was great. However, it's a good idea to pack some long underwear, long sleeve shirts, and a pair of gloves. When we were in Glacier Bay in the morning, I had on a few layers of clothes, including gloves. Later in the afternoon, I was on the top deck in my swim trunks. In other words, pack some "winter clothes."