Freedom vs. Anthem

Hello Cruise critic message board!

I am planning my family vacation for April and was wondering if you could help me make a decision between two Royal Carribean ships. I'm between Anthem (from Cape Liberty) and Freedom (from Fort Lauderdale).

I really love all of the new technological innovations on Athem and like the modern design, but I see so many bad reviews on the long wait times and the bad food that I'm not sure it's as good as it looks. On the flip side, I've heard mostly good things about Freedom but know that it's an older ship and am not sure that my 16 year old son will like it as much. Does anyone have any info of which has the best Fuel teen club?

Please help me with any pros and cons for both. The itinerary is below. As it stands, a balcony on Anthem is the same price as an inside on Freedom. I really want to know what will be best for my family that values good food, nice beaches, and fun experiences the most.

Anthem (7 day): 1) Orlando, Fl 2) CocoCay, Bahamas 3) Nassau, Bahams

Freedom (8 day): 1) Labadee,Haiti 2) San Juan, Puerto Rico 3) Philipsburg, St. Maarten 4) Basseterre, St. Kitts

Edited by oceantriumph

That's a tough choice. I really love a balcony, but I'd much rather start a cruise in Florida. Plus you get an extra day and better itinerary.

Freedom is still a huge ship with plenty to do for the 16yo.

Freedom would be our overwhelming choice. Longer cruise, out of Florida, and a Caribbean itinerary. The Anthem itinerary is lame.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Anthem has been such a hyped and advertised ship that I thought I may be making a mistake. Seems like Royal really dropped the ball on the Quantum class. Thanks for your feedback!

If anyone has anything else to add, including support for Anthem, I'd love to hear it as well as my final decision has not been made yet ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking! Anthem has been such a hyped and advertised ship that I thought I may be making a mistake. Seems like Royal really dropped the ball on the Quantum class. Thanks for your feedback!

If anyone has anything else to add, including support for Anthem, I'd love to hear it as well as my final decision has not been made yet ;)

Don't get me wrong, many folks say Anthem is a fantastic ship. However, I have to fly to cruises, and if I have a choice between flying to New Jersey and flying to Florida, Florida is going to win. The 7-day Anthem itinerary is lame because they are starting from New Jersey and just don't have the time to get any farther south.

I would LOVE to try Anthem, just not on this itinerary. And I do not believe that Royal dropped the ball - Quantum Class was just very different and people didn't like that.

Don't get me wrong, many folks say Anthem is a fantastic ship. However, I have to fly to cruises, and if I have a choice between flying to New Jersey and flying to Florida, Florida is going to win. The 7-day Anthem itinerary is lame because they are starting from New Jersey and just don't have the time to get any farther south.

I will have to fly to and agree that itineraries starting in colder climates are far less enjoyable....by the time it is warm, a few days are already out! Do you know any pros that may come along with Anthem? Food is really important to us so if that's superior on the Anthem, then I would highly consider changing my mind.

I would LOVE to try Anthem, just not on this itinerary. And I do not believe that Royal dropped the ball - Quantum Class was just very different and people didn't like that.

The different is not what I'm referencing. I have heard many guests complaining about crowd management and service across the board on the qunatum class ships...many have said that those two things are done even worse than on the Oasis class! It seems to me that RCI should be getting better at these two crucial aspects of the experience, not worse. It's just that I've heard that people have been saying there are larger crowds on Quantum class than on Oasis when there's a significantly larger number of guests.

The different is not what I'm referencing. I have heard many guests complaining about crowd management and service across the board on the qunatum class ships...many have said that those two things are done even worse than on the Oasis class! It seems to me that RCI should be getting better at these two crucial aspects of the experience, not worse. It's just that I've heard that people have been saying there are larger crowds on Quantum class than on Oasis when there's a significantly larger number of guests.

I personally haven't noticed an overwhelming negative opinion towards crowd control.

Some of the more recent reviews that I have read referenced wonderful crew.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Okay, I'm not sure what you want me to tell you.

Have a good night.

Sorry. I really appreciate your help. I didn't mean to get into an argument. I think the Quantum class is really a cutting edge ship and one day would also like to try out all its innovations.

I'd love also to hear from any cruisers who have been on the Quantum or the Anthem and have personal experience of what they liked / didn't like.

Thanks for all the help!

Never been on the Anthem but have been on all of the Freedom class ships and you nor your family will be disappointed with the Freedom. As for the itinerary Freedom all the way.

Thanks for the comment :). I did want to make sure that there are enough activities for the teens as in past cruises, most of the activities were 18+ only and my son felt bored. Based on your comment, this shouldn't be a problem? Thanks!!

I have been on quantum of the seas and anthem of the seas and loved them both. When I went on quantum there were some issues as it was brand new, but when I went on anthem last Oct, they were pretty much resolved. My guess is there is much more for a 16 year old to do on Anthem than Freedom. There are bumper cars, I fly, ice skating, North Star, plus the shows on anthem could not be beat. Just my two cents [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on quantum of the seas and anthem of the seas and loved them both. When I went on quantum there were some issues as it was brand new, but when I went on anthem last Oct, they were pretty much resolved. My guess is there is much more for a 16 year old to do on Anthem than Freedom. There are bumper cars, I fly, ice skating, North Star, plus the shows on anthem could not be beat. Just my two cents [emoji12]

Thanks for commenting! Would you say the entertainment value that Anthem brings is worth the worse itinerary?

...My guess is there is much more for a 16 year old to do on Anthem than Freedom. There are bumper cars, I fly, ice skating, North Star, plus the shows on anthem could not be beat. Just my two cents [emoji12]
Your guess on ice skating on Anthem is not so good - it does not exist there, but it does on Freedom. There is LOTS for a 16 year old to do on Freedom and it has very good shows (Anthem also has lots to do, and has good shows, but of course Anthem does not have my favorite - the ice skating show). My strong vote is for Freedom 8 day to great ports over a 7 day Anthem to (yawn) the Bahamas.

Your guess on ice skating on Anthem is not so good - it does not exist there, but it does on Freedom. There is LOTS for a 16 year old to do on Freedom and it has very good shows (Anthem also has lots to do, and has good shows, but of course Anthem does not have my favorite - the ice skating show). My strong vote is for Freedom 8 day to great ports over a 7 day Anthem to (yawn) the Bahamas.

Sorry- I meant roller skating. To each his own - I'm sure either cruise will be terrific.

Edited by kevinax