Adonia Caribbean

pdw26

We are looking at the Adonia Caribbean itinerary for Nov/Dec that cruises up the Amazon to Santarem (missed out by a couple of days booking it a couple of years ago). DW has an allergy to mosquito bites, but mosquitos have an uncanny attraction to her. Not usually a problem at sea or on small islands, but wondered if anyone been on this cruise in the Amazon rain forest and could confirm absence or presence of mosquitos and their ferocity. I guess with publicity for zica virus this has brought question to front of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you take Quinine it modifies your body scent and is thought to make mosquitoes significantly less attracted to you. Quinine is an ingredient in Indian Tonic Water; (but not Tonic Water) and strangely also in the Barr's soft drink Irn Bru. It also helps with night cramps relief.

Regards John

Mosquitos love me and I often react badly to bites.

We did Adonia to Santarem. I used repellant of course (proprietary and Avon SkinSoSoft Dry Oil). I only had two bites all cruise, possibly not even mosquito bites and both received in Tobago, before we even reached the Amazon.

We did a rainforest walk excursion and in his preliminary chat our guide told us there were NO mosquitos in the jungle - he warned us of jiggers, which jump onto your exposed ankle ( don't expose your ankle) and burrow beneath the skin. Nice.

I was slightly surprised by the relative scarcity of all types of flying creatures