Tropical diseases in Caribbean

OBX-Cruisers

Are there any current warnings about mosquito born diseases in the Caribbean?

A local woman who went on a Caribbean cruise with her husband a few months ago is suffering from a mysterious disease that has just been finally diagnosed by experts in VA as Chikungunya virus.

Since this is not endemic in NC she probably got it in FL or in the Caribbean from a mosquito bite.

Any recent reports cruisers should be aware of. The symptoms apparently can last for years in some people and this person has already been suffering for months and antibiotics were useless in her case which would be expected since it is a virus.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

I saw Zika warnings everywhere I went, but I took my nephew golfing twice and didn't get bitten by mosquitos. I did get rebitten by the golf bug, so now I have to work really hard to be able to play next spring. 🏌️🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband got Chikungunya (or, as we call it, "chicken nuggets") in St. Lucia last July. We were on a land vacation and not a cruise. He had a fever and joint and muscle aches for about a week. Use good repellant anywhere you go in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband got Chikungunya (or, as we call it, "chicken nuggets") in St. Lucia last July. We were on a land vacation and not a cruise. He had a fever and joint and muscle aches for about a week. Use good repellant anywhere you go in the Caribbean.

Thanks, good advice along with the CDC suggestion from another reply.

Wondering if your husband was using insect repellent and got bit anyway. Most recommendations are for DEET or PICARIDIN and that is what we will plan on.

"Chicken nuggets" as you call it can either be brief like your husband or last a LOOOOONG Time like our neighbor who never seemed to get well and is still suffering months after the cruise.