First Family Cruise - RC Liberty - Suggestions please!

jbonvi137

We've sailed three times -- with a four one coming up this summer -- with all four of us in one cabin. My sons were ages 18 and 9 the first time. We've had an inside cabin each time.

#1 rule is: Don't Leave Your Shoes in the Middle of the Floor! :p Believe me, it's necessary. :)

#1 rule is: Don't Leave Your Shoes in the Middle of the Floor! :p Believe me, it's necessary. :)

So true! :D I am bringing a cheap canvas hanging shelf unit with me this time to help control the shoe chaos. We don't even bring than many shoes - usually a tennis/walking shoe, crocs or flip flops, water shoes and a dress shoe for each of us. And my kids are still in elementary school!

Ok, so this thread will take you a WHILE (like hours) to read, but if you want some suggestions about things that other people found helpful to bring, check this out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=378972

I sat with my word processing program open side by side, skimmed through, and if I thought I might also want to take that item, I typed it into my document. I have a general packing list that I always use no matter where I'm going, but now I also have a cruise-specific add-on list as well.

In Cozumel, Chacanaab park is a great excursion. http://www.cozumelparks.com

Shoreexcursioneer.com has an all inclusive deal for about $35 per person. It includes a buffet lunch, snorkeling gear and park admission. They have an alligator display, dolphin show, mini zip line and great beaches.

You take a cab from the port which is about $12 per CAB, not per person. There are plenty of cabs at the park when you are ready to come back to the ship.

That is great info and helps a ton! Thank you! We are visiting Cozumel, George Town, grand cayman and Falmouth, Jamaica

You should climb Dunns River Falls in Jamaica. It's an awesome experience but you need to take water shoes if you do. And plenty of cash for tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For our family trip to Falmouth my kids were 4 and 8 so I had to pass on Dunns River Falls as I thought it would be tough on the 4 year old. Plus - it's a long drive there and I was worried about a car seat.

We ended up reserving a private tour (outside company) for the Grotto / Caves. It was about 30 minutes drive there and about an hour spent in the caves but was a good duration for my family. We headed back to the ship around lunch time.

My favorite thing about Falmouth though was definitely the chair massage station in the port area. Because the price was so reasonable it actually felt more relaxing than my ship massage that was much longer! My DH and kids got back on the boat and I joined them when my massage was complete.

Also - my 8 year old was really into gems and minerals. Falmouth port is one of the easiest to grab the free hand out gems at the jewelry store if you need too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Liberty yesterday. This was also our first family cruise (our room had our 6yo twin boys, my wife and me). We booked an ocean view on deck 3. One tip is to get magnetic hooks and curtain rod clips. All the walls are metal. We pinned them up around the kids bunks and clipped blankets to give them their own 'fort'. They loved it and it helped during bed time.

31742841084_420defc3bd.jpg

Untitled by ikirumata, on Flickr

When we would be in the room, the kids mostly stayed in their forts, so space wasn't too cramped.

I was worried that having the pullman beds down would be too cramped, but I didn't mind having the pullman beds down. Im 5'10" and I could sit on the edge of my bed comfortably without worrying about bumping my head. The ladders to the pullmans are a different story. I managed to bump into those a lot.

In addition, the hooks doubled as ways to hang things, like wet swimsuits and badge lanyards.

The water slides have some requirements. The orange/green racing slides require 48" height. The float tube ride requires each passenger to be 75lbs. They are very stringent about these requirements.

Another tip is that the hot tub in the splash pad area is the hottest one on the ship! If you like hotter tubs, then that is the way to go! Plus, your kids can go wild on the splash pad and eat ice cream and still be in good distance to keep an eye on them. In addition, there is an adventure ocean person keeping watch.

Port side of the ship is smoking if that bothers you.

Boxed cereal is in the main dining room for breakfast. Good if you need to take some with you on excursions. Otherwise, use ziplock baggies for cereal from the dispensers.

The Arial show bored my kids (I thought it was amazing).

Ice skating is fun. They were open only 2 different days for a short period of time. If you want to ice skate, get in line early (30 mins) and bring a game to play while you wait. Another benefit from getting there early is that you wont have to put on a helmet that someone else had sweated in. They spray the shoes, but not the helmets. Just a pro tip for those who are put off by wearing some stranger's sweaty helmet...

On day 1, you can register your kids at kids club. They will give your kids a lanyard and punch a hole in their sea pass. Have them punch a hole in your pass while they are at it.

Everything seems to be on the back of the ship. If you have a cabin in the front (like us), be prepared to walk a lot.

Flowrider times are broken into Advanced, standup, and boogeyboard. Check the compass for times.

Arcade games are EXPENSIVE! $1.90 per game on some machines. Look out for free play day (for a couple hours). Ours was on Day 1. All games were free.

Have fun!

Edited by ikirumata

Definitely check the port boards for things to do. Your kids are at a good age for the stingrays in GC and dolphins/snorkeling at Chankannab in Coz (or several of the all-inclusive beach places there). River tubing (with or without the zip lines) is near Montego Bay, fairly close to Falmouth. Hilton Rose Hall has a good (although expensive) all-inclusive program. Nice float river, slides, pools, food but beach is rocky enough that even beach shoes don't help.

Check the Galveston board for info on parking. Several enclosed places within a couple of blocks of the port. If you get a chance check out La King's ice cream place on The Strand. This old-fashioned parlor has been on the Food Channel and is pretty neat.

Enjoy the dining room experience - if you can't decide between two main courses or two desserts, order both. Want just a plain salad, no problem. You won't believe the service you get. Kids menu has an awesome dessert that an adult can also order...