RCI European Shore Excursions

waterlegs

Can anyone recommend the ships shore excursions for ports of La Spezia and Naples? Some seem to be up to 11 hours long but ship is only docked for a total of 12 hours. Very undecided on which excursions to choose. How much time in advance of leaving port do you need to be back on the ship? Thanks in advance.

If you're on a ship tour, you don't need to worry.

And if you're cutting it that close, it REALLY needs to be a ship tour.

My father was on a tour once where the bus broke down, and the driver fixed it, but not before he had parts all over the place.

Edited by knittinggirl

In Naples this year we did the 'Pompeil & Amalfi Coast by land and sea' tour

Highly recommended. Includes lunch and it was very interesting.

What type food did you get for lunch? I was thinking that I might prefer the amalfi coast on land but dont know. Thanks.

What type food did you get for lunch? I was thinking that I might prefer the amalfi coast on land but dont know. Thanks.

It was 3 courses if I remember.

Salad & Bread

Cannelloni

Creme Brulee

Also included Wine / Cava / Water

You spend 3/4 hours getting shown round Pompeill by the tour guide (we had Luigi and he was so suited to the job. Very funny and knowledgeable). Then have lunch. Then spend time on a coach going along the Amalfi Coast. When you arrive in Amalfi you get about 40 minutes to explore / shop. Before getting a boat to Salerno to see more from the sea. Then back to the ship.

It was a long day but very much worth it

I think for both ports you need to decide what's important to you - history (museums, to a certain extent churches), architecture (again to a certain extent churches but also some cities) or scenery or of course one or more of them.

I think for scenery for Naples I would recommend an excursion to Capri or the Amalfi coast. Not sure about history or architecture when it comes to Naples.

La Spezia gives you a few options - you can go to Pisa to see the leaning tower (it's a bit of a ride to get there though). Or you can go to Florence. Or as others have mentioned Cinque Terre.

I did the excursion to Florence and really liked it (but it was a bit of a ride to get there). You can see a variety of things in Florence like the Duomo, Michael Angelo's David, great architecture, you can see some interesting churches like the church where Galilleo is buried. If you're read the book Inferno you'll see a number of the landmarks referenced in that book.

Whatever you go with, you'll have a great time. Enjoy!!

In Naples this year we did the 'Pompeil & Amalfi Coast by land and sea' tour

Highly recommended. Includes lunch and it was very interesting.

I have a friend who recommended this one as well. It's pricey, but I'll be booking it based on his description. I like the combo of views one way by land and the other way by sea. And since it is such a long day, I really don't want to make it all by tour bus (large or small vehicle ... it gets tiresome).