Mobility Scooters

luvbluseas

While you may disagree with Carnival's policy, it's their policy to make. Someone sitting here and calling people liars (with no proof I might add) is just plain insulting. As for what the poster intended to mean is pure speculation. All I have to work with are the words the poster used, not what their possible intent to say was.

Carnival says all scooters MUST fit in your cabin. The problem is this rarely happens. My husband has mobility issues and uses a walker. The people who leave the scooters in the hallway make it extremely difficult for him to get around. I wish people would listen and obey the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. We were on a 14 day Alaskan cruise with Holland America a few years ago. About every third cabin had a scooter parked in the hallway at night. This was before my knee surgery, so I really depended on holding onto the railings while walking down the hallway. Had to constantly switch sides to walk down when we encountered another scooter. All of them were supposed to also be parked inside the cabin as well.

I'm not sure of your personal experience, but I DID have to submit a report on why I needed a HA cabin and the dimensions of my scooter for our first cruise. I just booked our second cruise (HA again), and I was told that our previously submitted report would be accepted as "proof" of need.

14902940_10207611431146312_298510880583317856_o.jpg?oh=260f1a040f95db9a53e3284ea837e2ad&oe=59484998

We have had to submit a written statement also. We went and had ours signed by our Doctor (not required) just because we did not want any problems. We could send photos of his 1/2 foot but due to the fact that he not has a terrible wound on it (due to an idiot that made an incorrect insert for him) no one wants to see any pictures!

Sometimes it is impossible to get an accessible stateroom! The ships have very few of them and they do not require a signed statement that you honestly require one. We have been able to switch to one thanks to our GREAT Travel Planner! She called Carnival and called them on giving accessible cabins to those that are not handicapped and they admitted that 'maybe' they did. SO someone was moved and DH (with 1/2 of a foot) and his scooter that is too big to fit into a regular door are now in an accessible stateroom. We are sorry that someone had to be moved. But folks should not lie about being handicapped. I am sure that my DH would be thrilled to trade places with them, health wise. On Celebrity we always book Aqua and they only have 4 Aqua staterooms that are accessible. They are VERY hard to get!! If we cannot get one, we cannot cruise. Then we finally get on the ship and fellow pax can be very rude. NO one wants to let him on the elevator with his scooter. Do they think he is contagious? He can NOT do the stairs - he has no choice. In the past I have been forced to get on the elevator, hold the door and insist that they move back so that he can get on also. I can see that there is plenty of room - they just do not want to move for him - WHY?:confused:

AFTER this person was moved and we were given this cabin were we requested to fill out a form, the first time EVER. That is when we filled out the form and had our doctor sign it also. That was not required. This was something we had NO objection to doing.

I have a Pride Victory 10 also.. and I love it. For years I rented one for onboard from Special Needs At Sea at $250 each time. My husband had built a trailer for my scooter so that I can take it around our hometown and go shopping etc and on road trips. So one time we decided to sail NCL out of Boston a few years ago.. and we thought we'd try bringing the scooter with us. When we got to the port parking, we were told we had to put the trailer in one parking spot, and the car in another parking spot as they didn't have one spot long enough to keep the trailer attached. They charged us TWICE the parking as we took up two spaces..

Long story short, I was able to take my own scooter into the cruise port, and up onto the ship... and had my own all week.

So.. if you can figure out how to take your scooter with you to the cruiseport then you should be fine.. if you are going to take a car and trailer attached, be prepared for double the parking costs.. Just a heads up. Enjoy your cruise!

My husband had a used 4 wheel scooter for about 4 years now, it was not very reliable, but it worked for local shopping, etc. Whenever we traveled, cruised, etc. we rented him a Victory 10. We were very recently able to purchase a brand new 3 wheeled, Victory 10. Back when we bought the used scooter I was able to purchase a used Harmar Lift with swing arm. I got an amazing deal on it, I paid $300 and it was in perfect condition, it was older but as long as it works great, we did not care how old it was. We did just buy a new vehicle and even though it came "trailer ready" the Harmar requires the wiring be connected directly to the battery. That cost about $100. which was well spent. It is perfect having the lift and we feel it is a requirement. Due to his handicapped we go long times without his needing to take his scooter with him. Having the lift means that it can just stay attached and it never gets in our way because of the swing away feature. We have no storage problems, etc.

We could send photos of his 1/2 foot but due to the fact that he not has a terrible wound on it...no one wants to see any pictures!

:p Almost the same here, although both feet.

One trip to the pool/beach/hot tub and no one questions the scooter.

Just a question for those who leave their scooter outside in the hall. What are those of us that have scooters or walkers suppose to do when we come upon one that blocks us from going down the hall? Don't want to get into trouble and I haven't yet run into this problem but am curious. I know that it is a problem sometimes with trays and food left out on the hall but a scooter would be a lot bigger.

tigercat

I'm not sure of your personal experience, but I DID have to submit a report on why I needed a HA cabin and the dimensions of my scooter for our first cruise.

You did it voluntarily. You did not HAVE to submit it and its highly unlikely you would have been moved. I submitted it too but not because I had to, I did it to make sure they know that I actually need an HA cabin or I cant cruise. Moving me is not an option unless it is to another HA cabin.

My point is though, on Carnival, ANYONE can book an HA cabin even if its for no other reason than they want more space with the caveat that you can be moved if someone that is disabled needs the cabin. Ive never read about anyone being bumped from these cabins.

Edited by ryano

You did it voluntarily. You did not HAVE to submit it and its highly unlikely you would have been moved. I submitted it too but not because I had to, I did it to make sure they know that I actually need an HA cabin or I cant cruise. Moving me is not an option unless it is to another HA cabin.

My point is though, on Carnival, ANYONE can book an HA cabin even if its for no other reason than they want more space with the caveat that you can be moved if someone that is disabled needs the cabin. Ive never read about anyone being bumped from these cabins.

I believe that the situation was what someone posted earlier - it is close to cruise time and I think that CCL were filling grantee cabins. That is why the 3 accessible staterooms that were available at 10PM were gone at 7 AM - Carnival filled them, they weren't sold to handicapped passengers. Because they had us, verified handicapped passengers, they pretty much had to move us into one of them. We had sailed with them before, in an accessible cabin, but that time we did not fill in any paperwork. We did rent a scooter when we sailed with them before. We appreciate what CCL did and especially our TA, she is GREAT!