Norways Midnight Sun

Hi I am going on the Norways Midnight sun cruise on the 11th June and i am going to the following places

Flam

Bergen

Hellesylt

Geierenger

Molde

Trosmo

Honnivsvag

Harstad

Leknes Loften

Alesund

I want to know if best to do a booked excursion also how far from where the ship docks is it to town centre also to see who else is on this cruise and to arrange a meet up for everyone either at sailaway or during the evening in one of the bars

Thanks

Kieran

Bergen, Alesund, and Tromso you should be fine if you just want to walk around. When I was there the ship docked pretty much in town if not very close to.

Flam you'll definitely want to book, most people do the railway and I highly recommend it.

Honningsvag you'll want to book.

Lofoten you don't have to book, but because of the way it's so spread out doing a tour is a good way to see some really beautiful sights.

Bergen, Geiranger & Alesund are all easy DIY ports.

In Alesund I walked up the 400+ steps to the viewing point, only to see the tourist train waiting there - so you can do it the hard or easy ways.

As well as exploring Bergen & Geiranger on foot I've done RIB boat rides into the fjords on 2 different trips. If Thomson offer this I'd highly recommend it - great fun!

Geiranger is quite small, but I think there is a tour further out, can't comment on that though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd recommend the Mount Dalsnibba Tour at Geiranger - tickets from the Tourist Office close by the tendering point. Make sure you get off at the Fjorland Centre on the way back - not so much to see the exhibition there but to be able to walk back down half a mile or so by the side of the river.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last time I was at Geiranger I walked right from the tender landing point and reached the bridge over the river after about 450 yards. Cross the bridge and follow the footpath to the left along the river. It has lots of stairs etc and you get good views of the scenery. After 350 feet and about 500 yards you can take the easy way back via the road or continue to Fjord Centre Exhibition and Museum.

If you're into walking, pick up a map of the hiking trails at the tourist office in Geiranger and look for #13 (from memory) to Westeras. Walk out of the village past the beautiful hexagonal shaped church and on the left on the main road you will see the sign for Westeras. It's a well marked path through trees, over streams (there are little bridges) and eventually you will come out of the trees and see the Westeras (ex farm) building above you. It's an uphill walk taking perhaps 45 minutes but is spectacular situation with and outside terrace overlooking the Fjord. One of our top places to go for coffee and waffles. We generally walk back along the track from the farm to the main road and after losing some height (you are walking on the road here but lots of people do and as it's a zigzag road, traffic isn't coming at a pelt) we strike off left so we approach the village from the opposite side of the valley (and water) from the walk to Westeras. Look for the signs to Geiranger as long as you keep going downhill you can't go far wrong. You will come to the visitor centre eventually and that's where you will see all the steps back down to sea level. The waterfalls and scenery along this step walkway are spectacular.

Awesome place - in the true sense of the word!

Agree Alesund, Bergen, Tromso easy DiY. Get the shuttle into town at Tromso then again if you can walk OK, go over the bridge towards the Arctic Cathedral to the cable car. Go early before the trips. Fabulous views from the top. In the afternoon we went to the Tromso University Botanical Gardens more or less opposite the berth - free and a riot of colour. So unexpected.