Foreign Currency for Southeast Asia?

toxicesq

I'm on the February 4 Southeast Asia cruise. I typically purchase foreign currency from my bank at home rather than having to search for ATMs in the foreign country. I'm wondering whether and how much foreign currency I will need for Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong. I'm doing primarily Oceania tours so I may not have access to local ATMs anyway. I expect that any shopping they bring us to will take (my no foreign exchange fee) credit card or US dollars, but I'd like to get to some local markets. I've heard that Cambodia accepts US currency, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether I will need local currency in other countries or can get by with dollars or a credit card.

Thanks.

It really depends on what you will do and buy.

Hong Kong most places will take a Cc and many will take USD but at a significant discounted rate.

Cambodia. Yes USD is accepted.

Vietnam you will need VND at most places. Local shops and tourist place will not take USD.

Thailand. Depends where as CC are accepted most places. Local small shop will require Thai Baht.

Singapore. CC are accepted at most places. USD is not.

We did a similar trip last year. I bought HKG, Baht in advance. Had sufficient VND and SIN from past business trips to cover tips and local food stalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums