CPAP question

34TigerLily

Not only is your CPAP carry on luggage, but it doesn't count as any kind of luggage on an airplane (at least on US airlines - federal law). You can bring a carry on AND your CPAP.

We will be on British Airways out of Dallas for our next transatlantic flight. Their rule is that it counts as an extra carry-on item unless you will be using it on the flight. Always check as each airline differs. We have a tag on DH's CPap bag that says medical equipment.

I have never had my own extension cord confiscated on any Princess ship. Which ship did this happen to you on?

Not to me. I've seen posters claim it's happened to them. I think the cords have to be the "3" prong type.

I had a patient who was getting up every 30-45 minutes and blamed it on his "prostrate". Nope, sleep apnea. He started using CPAP and slept straight through the night the first night.

I use a CPAP & unfortunately for me it's the ol' prostate.

A question for the spouses of c pap users: Is the machine loud? Does it keep you awake? My husband snores incredibly loud and also stops breathing. He's finally going to talk to the doctor about it and I'm sure a c pap is in our future. It can't possibly be as loud as he is, but I'm wondering what it will be like. I'm hoping it will mean better sleep for both of us.

The newer ones are whisper quiet. My older one(which I take on trips)isn't too noisy either. Kind of like a small fan.

Like you just did ;) Conditions, treatments and tolerances vary considerably. Everybody is different I was not Advising anyone to do anything without medical consult.

As I DID state, if you don't have sleep apnea, you really have no idea what it's like if you forget the machine or it quits out on you. I know plenty of people who had the machine stop(power failures the biggest issue)& their night's sleep was pretty much ruined. I hate saying it, but once you've been on the machine for a while, it's almost like an addiction if you don't have it every night.

• 7 months later...
As I DID state, if you don't have sleep apnea, you really have no idea what it's like if you forget the machine or it quits out on you. I know plenty of people who had the machine stop(power failures the biggest issue)& their night's sleep was pretty much ruined. I hate saying it, but once you've been on the machine for a while, it's almost like an addiction if you don't have it every night.

I would suggest buying a box of those prescription patches that go over the nostrils as a back up. I bought a 30-day box (which is expensive at about $100 Canadian) and tested the patches one night. In my case, I would say the patches were about 70% effective based on how I felt when I got up. Much better than if I never had anything. I had to get a doctor to prescibe the patches for travel and as a back up.

Pylon