Gratuities on Xpedition?

SMNYCruise

While reading an xpeditonreviews.com trip report, I noticed (on page 109) that the Welcome Aboard literature states that "international practice on board cruise ships" is to leave gratuity for the crew and naturalists. They suggest $5-$7 per day per guest. Yet the Celebrity brochure states that the voyage includes "gratuities while on board for the crew and lecturers as well as gratuities for the natural guides." Does anyone know which is the correct policy? For our family of four, the extra gratiuity charge could be substantial.

I just called Celebrity directly and they confirmed that all gratuities were included. I do think they should change their welcome aboard literature to reflect that additional gratuities are optional and not "international practice" with specific recommended amounts. Its misleading.

Gratuities are certainly included,but you will probably feel a need to single out certain crew members (particularly the Naturalists and Wait Staff) who go way out of their way to make the Xpedition such a wonderful experience,As was pointed out,the drivers and guides in Quito are independent contractors that Celebrity arranges,so you'd probably tip them the same way as any shore excursion.

Archived