Hotels in Barcelona, Paris and London? Transportation?

Where do you recommend to stay in these three cities for 1-2 nights each. Also, what is the best way to travel from Barcelona to Paris and then Paris to London? We are taking a transatlantic next May from Miami to Barcelona, then flying home from London six days later. However, staying and travelling in Europe for the first time is daunting.

Thanks to these boards, we have the cruise booked and our pre cruise hotel in Miami is booked with the help of TRENTS. I am truly grateful.

Thanks for all your help,

Dorie

There are several threads on Barcelona hotels that you could search for. It depends in large part upon your budget, of course. There are quite a few hotels on Las Ramblas (which I recommend because it's fun and funky plus it's close to the major attractions like the Sagrada Familia and the Picasso Museum), from modest hostel-type lodgings to a Meridien that was right across the street from us. We also saw several 5-star hotels further up the street.

We stayed at the Citadines Aparthotel on Las Ramblas, which is the main tourist drag. It was very nice - we had a studio apartment w/queen bed and kitchenette. We didn't use the kitchenette, but might have done so for a longer stay. The rate ws 131 Euros/night. Housekeeping services were extra, but as we were only there one night, we didn't use it. There are a couple of washers & dryers in the basement - 9 Euros to use them if you're mid-trip and need some clean clothes (didn't do that, either).

I think I might fly from Barcelona to Paris (takes about 1 hr. 45 minutes) and then take the train through the Chunnel to London. But I have to admit that the idea of being under the English Channel gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Sorry, I haven't stayed in Paris or London, so I can't help you there. Good luck!

I had a great experience staying at the "Premier Travel Inn County Hall'. Premier Travel Inn is a chain of hotels that has reasonable rates, clean rooms with private bath, and great locations. The County Hall location was right next to the London Eye, on the banks of the Thames River and @ 2 blocks from Waterloo station. We had a great view of the Thames.

For travel to and from the cities, I found out too late that going by air is the best option. There is a discount airline called "Ryan Air" that is very inexpensive. My older son and his girlfriend spent less on their flight from Lubeck, Germany to London than I spent just for a reservation on a train where I already had a 1st Class Eurail ticket.

Another option you could consider for London to Paris travel is the Eurostar train than travels through the chunnel. We did this and it was a great experience.

Dorie,

In London, we like the Cranley Hotel in Kensington. www.TheCranley.com

The hotel is small and very charming, rooms are very pretty, service is wondeful and the location in Kensington is superb. There are tons of great little restaurants in the area and it's located close to two tube stops.

Harrods and Victoria and Albert Museum are within walking distance.

In Paris, I like the Hotel Madison on Blvd. St. Germain and The Danube on rue Jacob. These are both small, charming hotels in the 6th arrondisement (aka Rive Gauche or Left Bank). If you have a bigger budget, I'd suggest Relais Christine on rue Christine or the Lancaster.

To get from London to Paris, I recommend taking the Eurostar through the chunnel.

Jane

Hi Dori: Just returned from Paris about a month ago. We stayed at the Hotel Muguet, and thought that it was quite nice. It was only 15 min. walk to the Eiffel Tower. I also booked a flight for 100 Euros (1 way) from Paris to London. For us, it was cheaper flying than taking the train.

For travel to and from the cities, I found out too late that going by air is the best option. There is a discount airline called "Ryan Air" that is very inexpensive. My older son and his girlfriend spent less on their flight from Lubeck, Germany to London than I spent just for a reservation on a train where I already had a 1st Class Eurail ticket.

Another option you could consider for London to Paris travel is the Eurostar train than travels through the chunnel. We did this and it was a great experience.

Flying from place to place in Europe is by far the easiest and generally the cheapest. RyanAir currently is giving away a million free tickets. HOWEVER, there are two warnings on the lowfare European carriers.

1.EasyJet and RyanAir are VERY strict on their luggage requirements. And it is VERY expensive if you have excess. Below is taken from the RyanAir website. EasyJet allows a total of 50 kilos checked, but the size of their carryon is so small that you will have to check your normal roller bag carryon. British Airways flies to all the places you are traveling to and their intra-Europe baggage is similarly restricted-Total checked pp is 51 pounds.

Checked Baggage Allowance:

Checked baggage allowance is 15kg per person (no infant allowance). Passengers may not use the unused allowances of others. Only passengers travelling within the same reservation may pool their baggage allowance. For health and safety reasons Ryanair will not accept any individual item exceeding 32 kilos. For health and safety reasons Ryanair will not accept any individual item exceeding 32 kilos and with combined dimensions of more than 81cms height, 119cms wide and 119cms depth.

Cabin Baggage Allowance:

Ryanair allows each passenger (excluding infants) to carry one small piece of hand baggage on board. The hand baggage must not weigh more than 10kg and be less than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, in dimensions. For the safety and convenience of all passengers, hand baggage must fit underneath the seat or in the overhead compartment.

Excess Baggage:

Checked baggage in excess of 15kg will be charged at the rate of £4.50/€7 per kilo (or local currency equivalent) in excess on all routes.

2. Make sure you are flying into an airport close to where you want to be. Some of the airports which state Paris, London, etc. on the low cost carriers are MILES away from where you think you will be. Just check it out completely.

THese are great tips and very useful information.

Greatam: It may be worth traveling light in order to use Ryan air. This will involve planning on my part but should be do able. Thanks, greatam, especially for all the baggage limitation info.

Jane, The Cranley looks great! Did you find it convenient getting from there to the tourist areas in London? And does it have an elevator? This may well be our choice for London.

MurielW, I am considering the Eurostar in case the luggage restrictions are more than I can handle on Ryan Air. Were there restrictions on the Eurostar as well? How was it going under the channel? I am a little claustrophobic, do you think that it would be a problem?

JXR, did the Hotel Muguet have elevators? I understand that not all hotels in Europe have these and I would have problems negotiating stairs due to a knee injury. the location sounds good too.

Critterchick, Yes, you are right these is quite a lot of information available on the Barcelona hotels. I have been looking at a number of suggestions. Thanks!

Thank you to all for your help. Nothing replaces speaking to people with first hand experience. I appreciate your taking the time to share your knowledge with me.

Dorie

Dorie,

Re the Eurostar, it was a great experience. The time that you are actually in the Chunnel is relatively short, I recall it being less than 30 minutes.

As for luggage, on the return from Disneyland Paris to London my son and I each had 2 very heavy suitcases plus our carryons. We were returning to London after visiting my family in Germany. Our relatives showered us with gifts and we had souvenirs from Disneyland Paris so our luggage was very heavy. We did pay a porter to assist us. There was also very strict security. My luggage was searched because it was flagged as containing metal - it was the lead crystal that my aunt had given me.

Note that the Eurostar has 1st class and 2nd class coaches. Although we had 1st class Eurail tickets they did not apply to the Eurostar. We chose to save some money by going 2nd class but we think that next time we would opt for the 1st class.

Archived