Summit Review January 7-14th

jillylamb2016

This was my first sailing with Celebrity and I don't think I will be sailing with this line again. While we enjoyed the food and ports (this one in particular was very port intensive), we were not impressed with the entertainment or the fellow passengers. The entertainment was geared toward an older crowd and I would say the average age on this particular cruising was 60+. My DH and I are 39, so we did stand out like a sore thumb. In addition to the age difference, we experienced many rude, and demanding passengers. Most of that was directed toward the staff, but some of this was actually directed at ME! There was a lot of pushing, complaining, whining about the quality of food and lack thereof (really?), and one passenger even told me how to "close the elevator door" because it wasn't closing fast enough for her. Jeez! Talk about impatient. I know how to press "Close Door", but it usually closes on it's own folks, if you are just patient enough :) Witnessed an older gentleman screaming at the bartender unnecessarily, because he didn't speak English well enough for the man to understand that he was just waiting on the card processor. We were the non-class people on the ship who didn't belong to Aqua, Concierge, or Suite classes with extra perks and restaurant/bar access. We only paid 600 dollars per person for this sailing, so I wouldn't expect it, but Celebrity and other cruise lines have certainly found a way to define a new class or casse system within a cruise ship. Kind of demeaning, if you ask me. But, I am fine with taking my non-fancy butt to the MDR every evening. The food was wonderful and I simply can't complain about it! Great filet and lobster on the evening chic nights.

I go on a cruise to enjoy it and try to have a positive attitude even when there an unexpected things happening, like a cancelled tour, windy conditions (that's Winter in the Carib for you) or a screaming child in the cabin next to you (Murphy's law - 5 kids on the whole cruise and the worst one ends up next to us, ha!).

The Summit is getting a little old and tired, but overall it's a beautiful ship and if you are more interested in the ports and don't need the best in entertainment, then you're golden! The staff was WONDERFUL and so was the captain Alex. Very upbeat guy, but I have heard that captain Kate beats them all; wish she would have been on our sailing so I could see my first woman captain. Oh well. Maybe, she'll go find a job with RC.

Sorry you encountered that. I was on the Summit in early December and had an opposite experience. That was in fact my 3 time on the ship since I love it and and the ports. I'm 43 and there were plenty of people on board my age or younger or slightly older. While I've not gone to any of the shows there were plenty of other things to keep you occupied in the evenings. The Silent Disco was great in December. Also spent most nights up in Revelations dancing until 2 am. I never noticed any difference between room categories other than I wasn't dining in Blu or Luminae, no one ever asked or cared what type of cabin I was in. While you can't do anything in regards to the other passengers I've usually encountered very nice people. For me it's the staff that and their attitude which is nothing but pleasant that will also keep me coming back.

I don't know why some people act like they are so "above" other passengers and the crew. My father always told me that when you see someone acting like an a..hole you should nicely tell them because maybe they don't know it.

:)

I think many of those people post here ;)

So sorry you had a bad experience. As far as the age difference I experienced a similar demographic on the Reflection the same week. Of course we are older (50's) but I'd say most of the people were older then us. Personally I don't know why that matters as I have friends from the 20's to the 70's.

As far as the attitude of the snobbish passengers your encountered I do not think that is limited to Celebrity or the Summit.

Glad you enjoyed the food.

My wife and I were on the Summit for a 5 night cruise last week - Jan 16 to 21.

We usually take 14 night cruises but this was last minute and very enjoyable. I commented to my wife about the ages of passengers being so much younger in general than on longer cruises. Naturally, because the longer cruises - not in the summer are the people who do not work anymore or who have jobs that will give more than two weeks at a time vacation. The OP and husband are 39 and do not fit the longer cruise demographic. I am surprised to hear she feels she did not fit the demographics of a short cruise.

With 2,000 passengers, you will find a few jerks. Everyone finds a few. So what? Don't let a tiny percentage spoil your fun.

We also thought the food was excellent. The staff and crew were excellent and Captain Alex had a great personality. The Cruise Director, Chris Sweets, was good. I am proud to say I was the only one who beat him in the "Yes - No" game in the Rendevouz Lounge!

To the OP, don't give up on cruises but maybe try another line like Princess or another time of year that attracts the younger clientele.

I was on this sailing. No complaints. Stateroom, service, and food were all very good. I don't recall any unruly passengers, but I usually ignore them. I do have to agree with the op on one point. I don't like the direction that the class system is taking Celebrity.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

.. I don't like the direction that the class system is taking Celebrity.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

I'm not thrilled with it either, but I will gladly sacrifice one small lounge, and one small dining area to get my keep my room cheap by someone willing to pay what they are charging for the suites. If you pay $5 or $10 thousand dollars for a week cruise you should get some benefits that I don't get...especially when we spend less than $2 thousand for the two of us.

I'm not thrilled with it either, but I will gladly sacrifice one small lounge, and one small dining area to get my keep my room cheap by someone willing to pay what they are charging for the suites. If you pay $5 or $10 thousand dollars for a week cruise you should get some benefits that I don't get...especially when we spend less than $2 thousand for the two of us.

I couldn't of said it better! That is exactly how I feel. We were on the Summit last August and I felt there was a good mix of age groups. Some kids too. I loved this ship.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I were on the Summit for a 5 night cruise last week - Jan 16 to 21.

We usually take 14 night cruises but this was last minute and very enjoyable. I commented to my wife about the ages of passengers being so much younger in general than on longer cruises. Naturally, because the longer cruises - not in the summer are the people who do not work anymore or who have jobs that will give more than two weeks at a time vacation. The OP and husband are 39 and do not fit the longer cruise demographic. I am surprised to hear she feels she did not fit the demographics of a short cruise.

With 2,000 passengers, you will find a few jerks. Everyone finds a few. So what? Don't let a tiny percentage spoil your fun.

We also thought the food was excellent. The staff and crew were excellent and Captain Alex had a great personality. The Cruise Director, Chris Sweets, was good. I am proud to say I was the only one who beat him in the "Yes - No" game in the Rendevouz Lounge!

To the OP, don't give up on cruises but maybe try another line like Princess or another time of year that attracts the younger clientele.

Thanks for your review

May I ask a question about disembarking on the Summit, how much time did it take to get off the ship ? 😏