Oceana Worry

holidaylover10

Have been eyeing up a Med cruise May 2018 on Oceana, I really like the itinery. But I am a little worried about bad reviews on the state of the ship.

Have only cruised on Celebrity ships previously which I love.

Is this ship as bad as the reviews portray? Will I be very dissappointed with P&O after crusing with Celebrity?

Have been eyeing up a Med cruise May 2018 on Oceana, I really like the itinery. But I am a little worried about bad reviews on the state of the ship.

Is this ship as bad as the reviews portray? Will I be very dissappointed with P&O after crusing with Celebrity?

No, we were on her at Christmas and New Year and she was fine.

Stop reading reviews and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

We were on Oceana at Christmas 2015 and were very disappointed with the state of the ship. There were loads of plumbing issues. Food was poor (this was acknowledged more or less by P&O). Atmosphere very poor for a Christmas cruise

Yet I know some folk love her!

To me there is no comparison at all with Celebrity

We have read about improvements recently as far as food is concerned and are sailin on Azura in April. Part of the attraction are the ports of call, part that it is a Strictly Come Dancing Cruise

If prices were in any way comparable and itinerary suited for me Celebrity would always be my choice over P&O

We did the Silhouette for the first 3 years she joined the Celebrity fleet. We loved her.

We also love Oceana --- something about her we just love.

Ok she isn't as new but the atrium is lovely.

Last August we had what I would think as probably our best August cruise and we have done Britannia as well.

Just go and enjoy and see for yourself.

Just don't expect a ship that is 20 yrs old and a cruise that I imagine is a lot cheaper than Celebrity to be as upgrade.

Enjoy

We have been on a couple of old rust buckets. We knew what they were going to be like before we got on, however, we decided to just go with the flow. A bad day at sea is still much better than a good day at work. Just go and enjoy the ride. mummsie :D

We were on Oceana in December, yes she is looking a bit tired but we had no problems at all. The cabin was clean and my only criticism would be that the shower stall is a tad small but we had been on her before so knew this before we booked. The food was better than we have had for 2 or 3 years on P&O. The staff were all very accommodating. There was generally a feeling of being on a "happy" ship.

Go on your cruise and enjoy it.

Edited by Josy1953
Spelling

Apart from SS Uganda, the Oceana was my first cruise ship .... I won't hear a bad word said about her .... even if it is true... which I don't think it is. For the record, the last time we were on her we loved it and I will happily sail on her again.

Edited by SoupPlease

For me Oceana is like an old pair of slippers, comfortable ;)

She does not have all the facilities other P&O ships have. There is no Epicurian or Sindhu restaurants or a Glasshouse wine bar. There is a Beach House in the evening and Café Jardin (the garden kaf which I do not like). No Crows Nest either despite what the P&O site says.

Many members of the crew told us that they love the ship and are very happy on her. I think the Captain has a lot to do with this - Andrew Willard. The best Captain we've sailed with. A real nice people person and the crew couldn't say enough good things about him. :)

Many members of the crew told us that they love the ship and are very happy on her. I think the Captain has a lot to do with this - Andrew Willard. The best Captain we've sailed with. A real nice people person and the crew couldn't say enough good things about him. :)

Correct, excellent captain and a wonderful ballerina as well.

Correct, excellent captain and a wonderful ballerina as well.

Now I am confused :D:D

Now the crew mentioned many times what a great Captain he was and how happy the crew were, but they never mentioned dancing :confused::confused:;)

Now I am confused :D:D

Now the crew mentioned many times what a great Captain he was and how happy the crew were, but they never mentioned dancing :confused::confused:;)

I will just say crew show and the last one on the right. You have to have seen the show. If I were not upon the sea.

:)

I will just say crew show and the last one on the right. You have to have seen the show. If I were not upon the sea.

:)

I thought they'd given up doing that cringeworthy rendition. I'm all for seeing talented crew but that is so old hat :)

I suspect that the biggest single factor regarding how passengers perceive a ship is the quality of the senior crew: captain, hotel manager, entertainment manager and head chef. If they can motivate the people under them to work hard and be happy, then the passengers will feel the benefit. (The chief engineer is obviously very important too, but their impact isn't usually so immediately obvious to the passengers.)

Of course what complicates matters is the crew rota system. Obviously people need holidays, but it does mean that a passenger's experience of a ship could be very different from that of someone who cruised a few months earlier and was luckier (or unluckier) in who was filling the senior positions.

I thought they'd given up doing that cringeworthy rendition. I'm all for seeing talented crew but that is so old hat :)

May be old hat and seen many times but it always brings the house down. So they keep on doing it.

And generally the theatre is full.

You are not forced to go.

May be old hat and seen many times but it always brings the house down. So they keep on doing it.

And generally the theatre is full.

You are not forced to go.

Yes I am, I like to see talent on display - it's only that one item :)

Edited by Brayman

Yes I am, I like to see talent on display - it's only that one item :)

More than I do, I have seen it twice but I get reports.

We did the fly cruise to the med on Oceana and had a brilliant cruise, and had no problems.

To counter this we have just done our first cruise with Celebrity on Constellation which is a similar size and age to Oceana. The fly cruise was very badly handled by Celebrity and to check in took over 2 hours after an overnight flight. We were not impressed.

Try Oceana you will not be disappointed.

We did the fly cruise to the med on Oceana and had a brilliant cruise, and had no problems.

To counter this we have just done our first cruise with Celebrity on Constellation which is a similar size and age to Oceana. The fly cruise was very badly handled by Celebrity and to check in took over 2 hours after an overnight flight. We were not impressed.

Try Oceana you will not be disappointed.

Without trying to sound like an Oceana cheer leader .....

We LOVED the Celebrity Silhouette (same cabin, 3 yrs in a row) but the way they handled fly cruises was horrific. First cruise, left at Rome airport 4 hours before the check in desk even opened with no advice re where the desk was or anything.

The fly cruise with P&O is much better. Have to say, they are well organised

Oh, this is all making us want to book a cruise on her now ----- not sure how we can afford it but we can but dream:D