how do you get upgrades?

smith6

This will be our 10th cruise will Celebrity and we have never been offered an upgrade. Just wondering what is the procedure on getting upgrades are they offered or do we ask for them. I often read of passengers saying they have been receiving them but how do you get them? Any info would be helpful.

Been sailing since the 90's. Only received an upgrade (unrequested) about 8 times. Once RCI called me and asked if I wanted to pay for an upgrade. (I did) Seems the best way to me was to book a guarantee. If I book a certain room, most times that is the room I get. Am Diamond on Royal who most times gives me the best upgrade from a guarantee. Princess never. Celebrity, once upgraded a whole group of us. Never seems to have rhyme or reason. Just book a room you are happy with and don't expect anything but that room.

The best way is to pay for it. Twenty six cruises with X and we've never had an upgrade, although we have been given the best available cabin when booking a guarantee. Princess has given us real upgrades-oceanview to balcony and balcony to full suite. Cunard has done the same, but these occured some years ago, so I don't know what would happen today.

The best way is to pay for it. Twenty six cruises with X and we've never had an upgrade, although we have been given the best available cabin when booking a guarantee. Princess has given us real upgrades-oceanview to balcony and balcony to full suite. Cunard has done the same, but these occured some years ago, so I don't know what would happen today.

We initially buy lowest cabin category we can be happy with (OV) and migrate up as price reductions become available. You need to check frequently, even after final pay.

Concierge sometimes has unsold inventory and prices MAY drop below veranda briefly on a limited GTY basis. You may get least desirable location (under pool, under buffet). GOOD LUCK

Free upgrades are definitely extremely rare on Celebrity. The exception is with booking guarantee categories (GTY). You give up choice on which specific stateroom you receive, but are far more likely to be upgraded (of course the downsize risk is not receiving an upgrade and being placed in a stateroom with an undesirable location, such as above or below a noisy venue). I have lucked out with a couple of nice upgrades when booking a GTY, but also once received a very noisy room - so it is a roll of the dice.

Aside from booking GTY, best strategy is to book lowest category you are comfortable sailing in and check for price drops (especially soon after final payment); then you might be able to score an inexpensive upgrade if a higher category drops to not much above what you paid your stateroom. If you booked with a travel agent you have to contact them to arrange the paid upgrade; if you booked with Celebrity (and kept your reservation with them) you just call them. I recently upgraded from an Oceanview to a Balcony for $100 per/person for my upcoming 15 night cruise via this method.

We book multiple cabins and want the cabins together so getting offered an upgrade doesn't work for us, but we always check the prices after booking. We booked an OV and yesterday noticed that for our cruise, the price of a balcony with the same perks, was the same price as our OV. I called the TA and found it was a gty, but that for $20 more we could get a balcony with an obstructed view. This still wouldn't work for us, but then we found that for $70 pp, we could get a balcony (again, with the perks) and get a great location. That's the only way we ever upgrade...we pay a little extra. It pays to just keep checking it for yourself.