Roll Call question

Vict0riann

Silly question, I guess... Can people who are not members of Cruise Critic "lurk" and read the roll call threads? I had an idea that for the roll calls, they couldn't. I know that before I joined CC I would look at threads on the main HAL forum, although of course, I couldn't post, but I seem to remember I couldn't access the roll calls at all.

We have a couple who seem to be joining some of our tours who are not on the roll call, and we can't figure out if they are reading the thread or it's just by chance that they are doing the same tours.

Silly question, I guess... Can people who are not members of Cruise Critic "lurk" and read the roll call threads? I had an idea that for the roll calls, they couldn't. I know that before I joined CC I would look at threads on the main HAL forum, although of course, I couldn't post, but I seem to remember I couldn't access the roll calls at all.

We have a couple who seem to be joining some of our tours who are not on the roll call, and we can't figure out if they are reading the thread or it's just by chance that they are doing the same tours.

They cannot access the RC unless they are CC members. So they MIGHT be members but chose not to join the RC and use the info for tours in which the tour operator is adding them to your tours.

This can get very confusing when one sets up the tour placing limits and keeping track and then someone contacts the tour operator directly and adds to your group without knowledge.

They cannot access the RC unless they are CC members. So they MIGHT be members but chose not to join the RC and use the info for tours in which the tour operator is adding them to your tours.

This can get very confusing when one sets up the tour placing limits and keeping track and then someone contacts the tour operator directly and adds to your group without knowledge.

Exactly!:) I have been thinking of posting on the roll call something like this: Mr. and Mrs. X if you are reading the roll call, please do post and join us at the Meet & Greet, so we can meet you before the tour..

What do you think?

Exactly!:) I have been thinking of posting on the roll call something like this: Mr. and Mrs. X if you are reading the roll call, please do post and join us at the Meet & Greet, so we can meet you before the tour..

What do you think?

Give it a try, but realize that anybody can google for tours and hit on the same tour operator you are booking with and they may have nothing to do with CC or ever have heard of it.

Happy planning, m--

To access roll calls you not only have to be a member be also be logged in. I often read roll calls before or after one I'm on for ideas, or to offer information if I can ... particularly when someone has posted incorrect info. Edited by jtl513

If it's a private tour, they can't be added without the organizers permission (or shouldn't be).

If it's individuals booking separately to form a group (such as those offered by Spain Day Tours), then those companies have the right to add people to fill the group to the maximum. The people who book might not even be on Cruise Critic but might be on the ship and/or simply want the same date. But, they do normally notify the organizer whose tour it is registered under.

There seems to ba a number of people (CC members) who don't want to participate in a roll call often for security reasons. A CC member is making a photo book for the next cruise I am on. There are a few people who are in the photo book (so they have read the RC) but have never posted to the roll call. Maybe your lurkers are like them.

We have a CC member who is not even on our cruise (she confirmed) but keeps posting tours info trying to solicit participation. Bizarre. My understanding is that you have to be part of the cruise and roll call. You could try red triangling and see what Walt says.

We have a CC member who is not even on our cruise (she confirmed) but keeps posting tours info trying to solicit participation. Bizarre. My understanding is that you have to be part of the cruise and roll call. You could try red triangling and see what Walt says.

Lizzie, that is definitely AGAINST guidelines. No soliciting is permitted on roll calls. Only tours for people actually on the cruise.

I suspect $ are the motivation in the case of this poster on your roll call, but it is just a guess.

Thanks, all. It is very true that these people may just have happened to have signed up for tours which were started by one of our roll call members. We had that happen, too, on our last cruise, where the tour company required everyone to "register" individually with them - like Spain Day Tours.

Lizzie, I agree, pushing tours would definitely be a "no-no"!:eek: