Booked our cruise with Verizon reward points

PlanoDebbie

I kept seeing people talk about buying Carnival gift cards for a small discount using their Verizon wireless reward points. Apparently the cards are rarely in stock.

While looking at other options to use some of my points, I found that you can actually BOOK your cruise directly through the Verizon rewards website. Depending on the price of your selected cabin, they apply enough points to reduce the fare by about 7-9%.

I went through the Carnival website first, to select a cabin to find my price with them. Since our Valor cruise is a short 4 day Easter weekend cruise, we decided to try a Porthole cabin. We usually like Balcony cabins. The price on Carnival was going to be $995 for the two of us. Verizon applied 3700 points per person and our total fee paid was $921. That saved us $74 by booking directly on Verizon. We have 361,000 reward points, so using 7400 of them was no big deal. Our credit card was immediately charged, and the booking was already available on the Carnival website for me to do the online check-in.

Just thought I'd share our experience with booking through Verizon. Of course stupid Verizon timed me out as I was just entering my credit card information and had to go through the entire booking about 30 minutes later after it put our selected cabin back into the available porthole cabins to choose from. Too bad I couldn't have used ALL of my reward points to get the cruise for free.