Packing advice

Little Nell

We are coming to Alaska in July for a 3 week holiday encompassing Alaskan land tour, cruise, stay in Vancouver and the Rocky Mountaineer. I would be delighted for advice on what to pack and what not to pack. We are restricted to 23kgs of hold luggage and hand luggage. What would you say is the best balance between lighter and heavier warmer clothes? I have read that the Alaskan land tour is very casual and I assume the port days will be the same. What about on the ship? I know this is the Alaskan forum but I am sure some of you will have been on the RM and can give a view on this. Do people dress for dinner while on this tour? I would normally wear shorts or capri trousers on holiday. Would I look out of place wearing white trousers for example?

Any "must take" or "don't bother" to take advice would be much appreciated.

The packing question has been asked and answered numerous times. Just enter the word 'packing' in SEARCH THIS FORUM to find past responses. Wearing LAYERS is the key. And plan on doing laundry once a week. There will laundry machines at some hotels and on the ship or choose laundry service.

My standard response for Alaska is ......long and short sleeved tshirts (or whatever you normally wear as a 1st layer). This layer is next to your skin and would be changed daily so bring 7 or 8. The next layer is for warmth, so a fleece pullover, hoody, sweater, sweatshirt. You can re-wear this layer so only bring 2 or 3. The top layer will be a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded. Throw in a couple of jeans and khakis, pr sneakers, pr walking shoes. Add a couple of shorts/capris and swimsuit. A small back pack to store your layers, as well wallet, camera, snacks, sunglasses, gloves, hat/headband, binoculars. If you feel the need to be dressier for dinner on the cruise, pack black jeans or black slacks and black top and boost it with a fancy scarf.

If you're doing any specialty excursions like fishing, hiking, you may need additional items. Ask the vendor.

Look at past trip reports and you'll see that most people are wearing jeans/ khakis, sweatshirts, a hooded jacket, and carrying a small pack. No one is focused on what you wear and re-wear; pack for comfort and plan on laundry once a week. Alaska is VERY casual.

Thank you, Mapleleaves. That is very useful information. We are going with Celebrity so no washing machines on the ship unfortunately, just an expensive laundry service. I don't mind having a few items laundered but not a whole wash.

Edited by Little Nell

Little Nell: I am the person who responded to your question on the Celebrity forum, and also happen to be on your Millennium sailing too! We will be on the Millennium for fourteen nights as we will be taking it back to Seward.

Dress at the hotels on your land tour will be very casual with most folks in jeans or khakis at meals. Dress during the day at the ports will also be very casual.

As I am sure you know, Celebrity has dropped their formal nights for "evening chic" nights. But dress on Celebrity ships during the evenings on Alaska itineraries has always been much more casual than on non-Alaska itineraries. Celebrity dropped their formal nights in late 2105, we spent over 70 nights on their ships in 2016, and my sense is that this "evening chic" designation for certain nights is just confusing folks.

And just one more quick comment as I don't know if you have been on a Celebrity M-class ship or not. While the M-class suite staterooms tend not to have clothes lines in the bathroom, it is my understanding that the bulk of the bathrooms on M-class ships do have clothes lines and all of the Aqua Class staterooms we have been in on M-class ships certainly have them.

Any "must take" or "don't bother" to take advice would be much appreciated.

Since you are coming from Scotland - I'd pack the kind of clothes that you would wear Spring or Autumn.

Layers are key.

Here is a photo of my son from out last cruise - it must have been cool in Juneau that day.

7376373662_093fa5e9c5.jpgDSCF8195 by Amy S, on Flickr

Inland areas can get quite warm that time of year but for the cruise the cool to cold water temps will chill the area - as can areas near glaciers. Layers are the best bet. Also there are synthetic fabrics that hand wash very well and dry very quickly - as well as being light weight. Avoid cotton, except for jeans. A lightweight waterproof outer shell can be very handy. Also a rain hat with chin strap for when it is windy is handy although a snug fitting knit stocking cap that covers the ears can be a lifesaver out on cold decks viewing glaciers - even in July.

Thank you Northern Aurora. We were on Infinity a few years ago but I didn't need to do washing as it was EX UK and we could pack everything we needed. It is great to know there will be a line in the cabin and for larger items we will use the laundry. We will dress for evening chic night but less formally than usual. Thanks for the information about dress on the land tour and ship. It really helps with planning what to take.

Inland areas can get quite warm that time of year but for the cruise the cool to cold water temps will chill the area - as can areas near glaciers. Layers are the best bet. Also there are synthetic fabrics that hand wash very well and dry very quickly - as well as being light weight. Avoid cotton, except for jeans. A lightweight waterproof outer shell can be very handy. Also a rain hat with chin strap for when it is windy is handy although a snug fitting knit stocking cap that covers the ears can be a lifesaver out on cold decks viewing glaciers - even in July.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful information.

Hey Little Nell.

Being from Australia dealing with cold weather was a somewhat foreign concept to me. Sure it gets cold here but not that cold to most people. I had seen snow exactly once and that was in another state not my own. I like you had no idea what to pack. People suggested layering. To me that s putting a cami on under a blouse lol. I basically ended up wearing almost everything I had pack. Well at least I felt like I was. And I was walking round a bit stuff from all the layers. Haa haa. I recently found this article on an outdoor adventure type store and it explained the whole layering thing really well. I’d pack alot differently my next time .

It’s from a store called Katmandu and I can post a link if that’s okay. (No I'm not affiliated with them but I have bought their products and find them great)

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/be-inspired/tips-and-how-tos/how-to-layer-outdoor-clothing

“Each layer has a function. The base layer, which is the layer closest to your skin, manages moisture. The mid-layer keeps you warm. And the outer layer shields you from wind, rain and snow.”

It then goes into detail about each layer and shows you products on their site for you to get an idea on what the layer is.

I so would have worn less if I had found this site. I was literally wearing thermal tank from target, long sleeve top, T shirt, sweat shirt (jumper to me), rain jacket , scarf, beanie, leggings under jeans thick socks. All that and was just comfortable. When I got to Juneau I bought a big jacket to wear for glacier bay. Wore than on top and was still cold.

I think the right proper layers is the key to keeping warm. The idea of going into an outdoor adventure store seemed like I was being too drastic about the weather. But really that would have been the right thing to do for me.

To me the evening wear hasn’t really changed from destination to destination. Maybe a little with the cruiseline. It may be hot or cold outside but it will always be the same inside. So if you normally wear dresses or slacks on a cruise then stick with that. Ill post a few pics of my outfits from 2012

IMG_2784.jpg.b28a401a5afd33722cdf1f086b7be609.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg.0aca4299a4f6d616659c7d67014d4d21.jpg