About to Take a Royal Leap

SamFritz

We are very much in a similar situation as you, but we have exclusively sailed RCCL 5 times. We are also taking our first cruise with Celebrity on the Equinox this summer.

We love RCCL, but are looking to try something new and different. The S-class ships get such stellar reviews that we are very much looking forward to our sailing. My primary concern is going to be the age of the fellow passengers. (kindly, no offense anyone!) We are in our early 40's, and are sailing with 4 other couples of similar age. We'll make our own fun, but I just hope the feel of the ship is not too sedated. The focus of this cruise is relaxation, and I'm sure we'll get that.

Dan

We are a little older than you - I just turned 50 - but we worried about the same thing before our cruise in Dec. (Eclipse)

Turned out to be absolutely TRUE - I'd say roughly 75% of the passengers were older than us. Most MUCH older.

You know what? We absolutely did not care! We met a nice young couple (much younger than us - lol) and spent the evenings with them just hanging out and having fun. We also met a couple who had been married for 70 years (!!!) who were one of the most interesting and compelling couples I have ever met.

Of course, if you are traveling in the summer or on a shorter cruise (ours was 10 days) then there will be more families. But even if 90% of the folks on board are over 50 that still leaves 200-300 younger folks!

We did notice that everything pretty much died at 11:15 (Not kidding... exactly that time. It's as if everyone looked at their watches simultaneously and thought "OMG it's after 11!")

However, this was the most relaxing and fun cruise we have ever taken - and most nights we did not go to bed before 3am :) As you said - "We make our own fun!"

We are a little older than you - I just turned 50 - but we worried about the same thing before our cruise in Dec. (Eclipse)

Turned out to be absolutely TRUE - I'd say roughly 75% of the passengers were older than us. Most MUCH older.

You know what? We absolutely did not care! We met a nice young couple (much younger than us - lol) and spent the evenings with them just hanging out and having fun. We also met a couple who had been married for 70 years (!!!) who were one of the most interesting and compelling couples I have ever met.

Of course, if you are traveling in the summer or on a shorter cruise (ours was 10 days) then there will be more families. But even if 90% of the folks on board are over 50 that still leaves 200-300 younger folks!

We did notice that everything pretty much died at 11:15 (Not kidding... exactly that time. It's as if everyone looked at their watches simultaneously and thought "OMG it's after 11!")

However, this was the most relaxing and fun cruise we have ever taken - and most nights we did not go to bed before 3am :) As you said - "We make our own fun!"

Great info, thanks! Your comment about the simultaneous "OMG, it's after 11!" made me crack up. :')

Dan