Possible to do Pompeii, Sorrento, and Positano/Amalfi Coast in 10 hours?

JagDawg Cruiser

Hi all,

This will be our first trip to Europe with our children (6 and 7) and will be in Naples for the first time for 12 hours. Is it possible to do Pompeii, Sorrento, and part of the Amalfi coast if we do a private tour? I'm thinking this is too ambitious for a DIY. I don't imagine we will do a full tour of Pompeii so may gain some time there.

Grazie!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did an even more ambitious for in 2009 which also included a visit to our guide's private farmhouse where his wife provided mall snacks of homemade wine, bread, cheese, sausage and olive oil. Mariano also took us to Sorrento and Positano and drove down the Amalfi coast. He got us a special guise to tour Pompeii too. Look on the web for Pleasant Travel or contact me at doulamom4mom at yahoo dot com and I will find his contact info. He was fantastic and we saw a lot yet had time to spend at each location

Joan

Is it possible -- yes, in the sense that you could accomplish it and people do it.

But before you make the leap, really think through the day. You're not going to have more than a "drive by" at any one place. Also, it's a lot of driving -- are your 6 and 7 year olds going to be happy with an extended day in a car? Finally, keep in mind that it's easy to fall victim to the "eyes are bigger than the stomach" when planning tours. But when you're actually on the go, day after day, you often wish you'd been a little less....ambitious.

If you do want to do this type of tour, it may be wiser to skip Sorrento, unless you have a specific reason for wanting to go there.

Consider whether the kids get carsick on very winding roads. One of ours always did and that coast road would not have been suitable for her.

You would also need to allow plenty of time. Last May we were self driving to Amalfi and the road was blocked for a full half hour because of a funeral procession.

Depending on your interests I would think of a half day in Pompeii and perhaps a stop at Sorrento for gelati and scenery.

Hi all,

This will be our first trip to Europe with our children (6 and 7) and will be in Naples for the first time for 12 hours. Is it possible to do Pompeii, Sorrento, and part of the Amalfi coast if we do a private tour? I'm thinking this is too ambitious for a DIY. I don't imagine we will do a full tour of Pompeii so may gain some time there.

Grazie!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since just yesterday I posted a similar question I thought I would copy it here for you to read. I received some very good advice on how to make it work for me, but it involves NOT getting back on the ship (in my case I am only missing a cruise up the coast to Rome). I sent out many requests for a quote of 1/2 day Amalfi tour and most people wrote back that because of the national holiday (April 25th) they would be unable to fulfill the 1/2 day request but they could provide a full day tour instead. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2450170 Hope this helps

Even with that generous time-window it's too risky to DIY using public transport due to the excessive demand for the bus from Sorrento to Positano and the same for the return.

But yes, perfectly feasible on a private tour.

It's always best if possible to start with the furthest point & work your way back.

The Amalfi coast is notorious for slow and stop-start driving thus not the place to be late in the day, whereas Pompeii is under half an hour from your ship.

Be guided by the tour operator, but IMHO a safer way to do it is from Naples across the spine of the Sorrentine peninsula to Ravello (at least a photo-stop) - Amalfi (straight through if you're not up with the clock) - Positano - Sorrento (again, straight through if you're not up with the clock) - Pompeii - Naples.

If you get hung-up on the Amalfi coast or find places so delightful that you want to give them longer you can then shorten your time at Pompeii or - if seriously troubled by time - skip it entirely to avoid missing your sailing.

Can't help re kids & car-travel, but the longest hop (Naples to Ravello) is only about an hour.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 3 weeks later...