39m/37f What would you recommend ?

riekl

So we are looking for something to do on St. Martin. Neither of us really enjoying shopping so that is likely out, and most tours put us to sleep so I'm thinking a beech/snorkeling time? But not limited to that if you have a better idea!

If so, what beach would you recommend for us? I don't care if its topless or not, I want gorgeous views, nice water, not super rocky. Somewhere that sells drinks (i doubt there is a beach that doesn't) and isn't 'too' out of the way to get to from the cruise terminal.

Suggestions? I"m thinking mullet from what i've read but please chip in !

So we are looking for something to do on St. Martin. Neither of us really enjoying shopping so that is likely out, and most tours put us to sleep so I'm thinking a beech/snorkeling time? But not limited to that if you have a better idea!

If so, what beach would you recommend for us? I don't care if its topless or not, I want gorgeous views, nice water, not super rocky. Somewhere that sells drinks (i doubt there is a beach that doesn't) and isn't 'too' out of the way to get to from the cruise terminal.

Suggestions? I"m thinking mullet from what i've read but please chip in !

I love Mullet but I wouldn't say that the view is "gorgeous". I like view from Little Bay better. I like Mullet Bay beach better though. Little Bay is only about 10 minutes from the pier. Mullet is usually 30 ish but could be much longer.

Grand Case has my faviorite view over to Creole Rock and Anguilla in the distance. We all like different things. Some people's faviorite view from a beach might be a jumbo jet coming in to land and the island has that to.

I love Mullet but I wouldn't say that the view is "gorgeous". I like view from Little Bay better. I like Mullet Bay beach better though. Little Bay is only about 10 minutes from the pier. Mullet is usually 30 ish but could be much longer.

Grand Case has my faviorite view over to Creole Rock and Anguilla in the distance. We all like different things. Some people's faviorite view from a beach might be a jumbo jet coming in to land and the island has that to.

Amen to that...everyone's idea of a beautiful beach is different :D. We all enjoy different things

Personally, Mullet isn't for me (way too many people, don't like the snorkeling, not terribly fond of the view....but its certainly nothing to scoff at!).

My favorite beach on St Martin is Baie Rouge. Very pretty with nice sand, never crowded, has restaurant/bar/loungers, etc. Gorgeous views.

I also am fond of the beach at Grand Case on the French side and, on the Dutch Side....Simpson Bay Beach. For a cruiser, I would recommend going to Karakter and as long as you order something (even if its a bottle of water) you will get a padded lounger for free. Its a Dutch owned restaurant/bar and is frequented by Dutch St Maarteners and visitors. I used to live there and now take land vacations at least once per year there so when I go to Simpson Bay beach, we just set up our spot anywhere we see fit (its not a tourist beach even though it is a very long stretch of beach so there is usually very few people on it) and we don't worry about loungers/umbrellas (shade is found under trees). But the airport IS nearby so even though it is beautiful and you have a great view of the yachts and all (depending on time of year), you will also hear and see planes arriving and taking off while you are relaxing on the beach which may not be for some people. Baie Rouge and Grand Case don't have that.

I re-read my post and want to make sure that I am clear. Maho Beach is the tiny "beach" and the end of the airport runway that people clammer to in order to see the departures/arrivals. I just want to make sure that you know that I am not talking about that place! Maho is close to Simpson Bay beach but nowhere near the same thing :D

I re-read my post and want to make sure that I am clear. Maho Beach is the tiny "beach" and the end of the airport runway that people clammer to in order to see the departures/arrivals. I just want to make sure that you know that I am not talking about that place! Maho is close to Simpson Bay beach but nowhere near the same thing :D

I love Simpson Bay beach but the view is really no better than Mullet don't you think.

Baie Rouge can be beautiful. It was my first St. Martin beach. That was back in 1992. We went at sunset last November and it was lovely but I have been there at times when there are large rocks as you enter the water.

Have you been to Happy Bay? It's not an easy one for cruisers but it's a lovely beach.

PS- my daughter the fish said that the snorkeling on the far end of Mullet nearest the condos and along the rocks was very good in December. She liked it better than the snorkeling to the right of Baie Rouge that she also snorkeled at during the same 10 day holiday.

Edited by Karysa

I love Simpson Bay beach but the view is really no better than Mullet don't you think.

Baie Rouge can be beautiful. It was my first St. Martin beach. That was back in 1992. We went at sunset last November and it was lovely but I have been there at times when there are large rocks as you enter the water.

Have you been to Happy Bay? It's not an easy one for cruisers but it's a lovely beach.

PS- my daughter the fish said that the snorkeling on the far end of Mullet nearest the condos and along the rocks was very good in December. She liked it better than the snorkeling to the right of Baie Rouge that she also snorkeled at during the same 10 day holiday.

LOL, well as we said, what is considered a "pretty view" is subjective. The views at Mullet and Simpson Bay are quite different so I cannot really say what others might say is "better". Mullet has the view looking out to sea. Simpson Bay has the view of Pelican Key and quite a bit of shoreline and the yachts anchored, as well as the sea view. I like the view from Simpson Bay better but I can tell you that I know people that like the view of Mullet better because they just like to look out and see Caribbean water. What I like better about Simpson Bay is that it is not at all commercial and is very quiet (as far as people are concerned). I also love that it is a long stretch of beach.

Happy Bay is lovely. There are lots of hidden "gems"...Friars Bay, Le Galion (not so "hidden" anymore), etc. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the beaches on the island. Its just that some are better suited for some people than others.

My kids and I were just there for a land vacay earlier this month. I tried snorkeling on the opposite side of Mullet (near the rocks where the wooden walkway used to be). It didn't occur to me to try the other end of the beach. Thanks for the heads up....will try there next time we go. That is, if my friends can convince me to go back lol. I kept telling them "this has become like a mini-Orient". Obviously it had been years since I had been there. :D

Oh Karysa, I forgot to respond about the rocks at Baie Rouge. Yes, earlier this month there were some large rocks at the shoreline. They didn't bother me or my kids (4 and 11). It was easy to cross them and then there was nothing but sand. But my parents are in their 70s and didn't want to take the chance of slipping. They could walk down the beach a bit further and enter without any rocks.

LOL, well as we said, what is considered a "pretty view" is subjective. The views at Mullet and Simpson Bay are quite different so I cannot really say what others might say is "better". Mullet has the view looking out to sea. Simpson Bay has the view of Pelican Key and quite a bit of shoreline and the yachts anchored, as well as the sea view. I like the view from Simpson Bay better but I can tell you that I know people that like the view of Mullet better because they just like to look out and see Caribbean water. What I like better about Simpson Bay is that it is not at all commercial and is very quiet (as far as people are concerned). I also love that it is a long stretch of beach.

Happy Bay is lovely. There are lots of hidden "gems"...Friars Bay, Le Galion (not so "hidden" anymore), etc. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the beaches on the island. Its just that some are better suited for some people than others.

My kids and I were just there for a land vacay earlier this month. I tried snorkeling on the opposite side of Mullet (near the rocks where the wooden walkway used to be). It didn't occur to me to try the other end of the beach. Thanks for the heads up....will try there next time we go. That is, if my friends can convince me to go back lol. I kept telling them "this has become like a mini-Orient". Obviously it had been years since I had been there. :D

We bring a thick plastic table cloth and put it on the sand and lay out towels on top so we can get away from the crowds. Easy to bring drinks ect when on a land vacation. Try doing this down at the far side of Mullet and snorkel there. I think that you will like it better. The sand is lovely and there is lots of it and it's quiet. Nothing like Orient down that end at all.

We bring a thick plastic table cloth and put it on the sand and lay out towels on top so we can get away from the crowds. Easy to bring drinks ect when on a land vacation. Try doing this down at the far side of Mullet and snorkel there. I think that you will like it better. The sand is lovely and there is lots of it and it's quiet. Nothing like Orient down that end at all.

Sounds like a good plan! Will give it a try :) thx

Personally, I love Orient and, assuming a good day weather-wise, I think the view (out to sea, Karysa, is what I am talking about now) is as good as any beach on the island. The beach itself - i.e., the sand, is among the best on the island. I always recommend adult first timers - especially of the OP's ages - see Orient. Plus, whatever anyone's pre-visit feelings or attitudes may be about Club O, it really is a unique place and worth a visit.

Personally, I love Orient and, assuming a good day weather-wise, I think the view (out to sea, Karysa, is what I am talking about now) is as good as any beach on the island. The beach itself - i.e., the sand, is among the best on the island. I always recommend adult first timers - especially of the OP's ages - see Orient. Plus, whatever anyone's pre-visit feelings or attitudes may be about Club O, it really is a unique place and worth a visit.

Fair enough.:)

• 1 month later...
Which beaches can you rent snorkeling gear at ? We have masks but will need vests at least maybe not flippers.

The part of your question that gives me pause is about the snorkel vests. I am pretty certain that Aquamania has them at Divi Little Bay - I would think that you could find them at Orient somewhere. There certainly would be jetski vests - but, snorkel vests - ? I know there has been snorkel equipment rental at Dawn in past and I would think still available, but, again, snorkel vests? not sure. Interesting question.

The part of your question that gives me pause is about the snorkel vests. I am pretty certain that Aquamania has them at Divi Little Bay - I would think that you could find them at Orient somewhere. There certainly would be jetski vests - but, snorkel vests - ? I know there has been snorkel equipment rental at Dawn in past and I would think still available, but, again, snorkel vests? not sure. Interesting question.

I would agree that Divi Little Bay would be your best shot for a place that carries a snorkel vest. Perhaps you can send an e-mail asking/requesting one OP. Wouldn't hurt.