Disney Wonder Aft cabin - 7118

JenMJM

Hi, folks! I just got back from a short girls' weekend cruise on the Wonder, and I wanted to put out a word of warning to those of you cruising soon.

We stayed in 7118 (Oceanview w/ Veranda AFT). When the ship was moving quickly to get from one place to another, which was every night for us, the thrusters created a horrible vibration that you could feel in the bed. One member of our group of three slept on the pull out couch, which had less cushion from the vibration and shook all night. It was constant and neither she nor I slept well at all (our third girl is a super heavy sleeper and wasn't bothered as much). In addition to the vibration, the ceiling rattled constantly.

We took videos with full sound of the vibration, which will be sent to the cruiseline this week. Shims had been shoved in the space between the wall and the ceiling, but these didn't help with the noise. I would hope that the maintenance crew would address the ceiling issues soon, but if you are cruising in the next couple of weeks, you might want to bring a sound machine or download a white noise app if you are a light sleeper and staying in an Aft room.

Friends staying on the same floor and room type but Forward did not experience the same vibrations and noise.

Other than the room (and a couple minor annoyances that aren't worth reviewing), the cruise itself was WONDERful. :)

I suspect you were experiencing normal engine noise and the associated vibration. I make this differentiation because my understanding is that the thrusters are used only for short bursts while the ship is docking (I'm sure the Chief or one of our more experienced nautical individuals will correct me if this is wrong).

We've had thruster noise and vibrations which were not a problem only because they persisted for a very short time. We've also had a cabin with a "squeak" while the ship was moving, which was awful. GS did get us some help although it did not fully eliminate the problem.

Sorry you had a rough time, and thanks for reporting it here and to DCL.

I suspect you were experiencing normal engine noise and the associated vibration. I make this differentiation because my understanding is that the thrusters are used only for short bursts while the ship is docking (I'm sure the Chief or one of our more experienced nautical individuals will correct me if this is wrong).

We've had thruster noise and vibrations which were not a problem only because they persisted for a very short time. We've also had a cabin with a "squeak" while the ship was moving' date=' which was awful. GS did get us some help although it did not fully eliminate the problem.

Sorry you had a rough time, and thanks for reporting it here and to DCL.[/quote']

My husband and I usually stay in an Aft cabin on an upper floor, and I have not experienced such a sustained vibration (read: 8+ hours each night). It is definitely more noticeable when you are laying down. When were moving more slowly, there were no vibrations or noise whatsoever in this room, but it is most certainly a thruster effect, which unfortunately was not short bursts. I know what the short bursts feel like, and this was not that. I've also heard squeaking in our Aft rooms as a result of the use of thrusters, and this was way beyond that as well.

The friend who had the couch is a platinum Disney cruiser who has also cruised other lines, and she has never experienced this either. She thought it may be due to the fact that the ship is older, but who knows.

Thrusters are used for lateral motion (sideways) in order to facilitate docking and movement in small port areas (rotation or making a sharp turn in a channel) the vibration you were experiencing was the sustained pounding of the props that are at the rear of the ship, the possible cause could be that one of the propellers was out of balance or one of the tine's was bent, which is odd since the Wonder just came out of drydock which is where they should have addressed any issues with the propulsion. When trying to make it to the next port during the night, typically the Captain will throttle up to around 20-22knots to give the ship the best speed. Definitely let DCL know your issues with the vibration I've seen a recent video of a cabin on deck 8 aft that was so bad a light fixture on the ceiling was shaking so badly the guests thought it was going to shatter. This seems like a significant issue they might have to address very soon or they're going to have a lot of complaints.

Bartman and Moki'smommy are correct.

The thrusters are only used when docking. Vibrations while moving along at speed are from the props.

I believe this is the video Bartman referred to, and something is very wrong if were like that underway, but it appears they are docking. And the vibrations shown ARE from the thrusters.

And it appears the ceiling panel has no additional support for the light fitting.

Open and view in 1080 to see it more clearly or it is blurry.

[YOUTUBE]W9FeEGCWfw4[/YOUTUBE]

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

The fact that the vibration was so pronounced in the video and as related by the OP, I suspect there is something wrong with either one of the props or maybe the thrusters, something's out of balance or bent. I just hope it wasn't damaged or affected in the drydock, I would hate to think they would have to put it back in drydock to fix the problem.

The fact that the vibration was so pronounced in the video and as related by the OP, I suspect there is something wrong with either one of the props or maybe the thrusters, something's out of balance or bent. I just hope it wasn't damaged or affected in the drydock, I would hate to think they would have to put it back in drydock to fix the problem.

If it were a problem with the props, then it would be expected that the large vibrations were more constant than start stop like they were in the video.

Thats why I think what we saw were the thrusters when she was docking as it was intermittant, and the ship appeared to be going very slowly or stopped.

The thrusters do make the ship judder and shake like that with the rudders turned hard as well, but that seemed very violent for deck 8.

The constant hum vibration you could see in the light by the bed would be more consistent with a prop imbalance at high revolutions.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I didn't watch too much of the video, but in the first couple of minutes, the light fixture has vibrations that rise and fall in intensity with regularity, almost cyclic. This is not caused by either the thrusters or damage to a propeller, as thrusters would be in longer intervals, and not cyclic, and damage to a prop would be constant.

I believe the vibration in the video is caused either by the rudders tracking back and forth to keep heading in following seas, or just the stern digging in to the seas a bit at each wave, and then coming higher in the water and causing the vibration.

I think the reason this has showed up is the addition of the ducktail to the stern has changed the harmonic frequency of the hull, and at certain propeller speeds, the new hull structure vibrates differently. These cabins happen to be in an area of the hull that resonates at this particular frequency, and starts to shake. This phenomenon is common in shipbuilding, which despite the technology available today is still more art than science, and the harmonics of a ship can vary even between sister ships who are considered to be identical. My company operates a class of 12 "identical" tankers, and after sea trials, each one required additional structure to prevent machinery from vibrating violently, and nearly every ship had this problem in different locations, and at different propeller speeds and hull speeds. I'm confident that Disney is aware of the problem, and is determining the best route to handle this, i.e. where to reinforce the ship's structure around these cabins to mediate the vibrations, or at worst, how to reinforce the non-structural cabin walls/ceiling to stop the worst of the "symptoms".

In 2012 we were on the deck 7 starboard aft corner of the Fantasy. Shook similar to the video. Things falling off tables, couldn't sleep.

We were excited about the big corner room with veranda but quickly were worried we wouldn't sleep for 7 days. We were trying to figure out if one of us could stay with the kids and the other crash in a common area sofa somewhere else on the ship and rotate each night to get sleep.

We told guest services that night and they were able to get us a new room the following morning (7118) which is toward the aft end of midship. Totally different experience. Of course you feel mild vibrations, but nothing like the aft corner and not a problem at all.

The staff said that our captain had a reputation for going as fast as possible at night. Not sure if that is true

Kudos to Disney for helping us out. Our new room was even an upgrade (Deluxe family veranda)

edit: just realized the room we moved to is the same number as yours. Just note we were on the fantasy where 7118 is significantly forward to where it is on the wonder

Edited by Markt99

Okay, looked at the video all the way through, and further thoughts are that the vibration, if it just started when they started recording it, was what we refer to as "bottom bounce" where the water pulses from the propellers hits the bottom of the channel (in the final seconds it looks like the ship was coming into harbor), which is significantly shallower than the open ocean, and this pulse bounces back to strike the hull, and starts a harmonic. I have seen this phenomenon in water as deep as 30 meters, when the ship is only drawing 8 meters, much like the Disney ship. Ships will be affected by interaction with the bottom out to around the 100 fathom line (600 feet deep), though the deeper it is, the less the vibration, but it still affects the power required to make a given speed.

Hi Chief,

Now I've had time to digest what you posted, as the time between the vibrations wasn't the same or the duration of them, would it possibly be from the props running in reverse (so the wash is going towards the ship) to bounce off the bottom, and so sporadically as they slow the ship down or are positioning her alongside the dock?

ex techie

Bottom bounce is more pronounced at slower ship speeds, since at higher speeds the hull has gone a distance, and the return vibration from the bottom has travelled farther and therefore is weaker. Again, the pulsating nature of the vibration is caused by outside forces, the waves. As a ship moves, it generates a wave of its own, and when you change speed, that wave moves along the ship, and affects the water flow past the propellers, causing the vibrations to pulsate. So, either due to slowing, or due to following seas, which is what the wave movement caused by slowing is the same as, fights against the water thrust of the propeller, therefore causing the pulsation of the vibration.

Typically, when running astern, the propeller vibration would be more constant, as the water thrust from the propeller going forward under the hull is orders of magnitude greater than the bottom bounce.

Bottom bounce is more pronounced at slower ship speeds, since at higher speeds the hull has gone a distance, and the return vibration from the bottom has travelled farther and therefore is weaker. Again, the pulsating nature of the vibration is caused by outside forces, the waves. As a ship moves, it generates a wave of its own, and when you change speed, that wave moves along the ship, and affects the water flow past the propellers, causing the vibrations to pulsate. So, either due to slowing, or due to following seas, which is what the wave movement caused by slowing is the same as, fights against the water thrust of the propeller, therefore causing the pulsation of the vibration.

Typically, when running astern, the propeller vibration would be more constant, as the water thrust from the propeller going forward under the hull is orders of magnitude greater than the bottom bounce.

Thanks as always Chief!

We were on the Wonder two years ago and my in laws room vibrated like this. It was AWFUL. It never stopped. Nothing would stay on tables. They deck six mid/aft. I told them to go to guest services and they were moved to another room. Someone from GS checked on them at dinner the next two nights and sent gifts to there room for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow. That's a LOT of noise! We just returned from a three-night cruise on the Wonder (room 5130--verandah) and the last night was horrible. There were waves, which I LOVED on RCI cruises), but on the Wonder, the whole cabin CREAKED. I mean, like an old house in a strong wind. I didn't sleep at all. It wasn't just the closet doors banging open and shut, it was the whole cabin squeaking and creaking. Though refurbished, is this ship maybe too old?

We were in an aft cabin on Fantasy two years ago, on deck 8, and encountered a similar but less offensive vibration. The ship was leaving San Juan, and headed up to Castaway Cay and they must have made the decision at the bridge to open the throttle. We had a similar vibration on that long high speed run to the Bahamas. I didn't bother to record it, as other aft cabins on other vessels have been about the same. We were on Liberty on the Seas in an aft cabin and also encountered a 'cyclic' vibration in the cabin that would cause the joint where the cabin wall (bulkhead) and ceiling (overhead) to vibrate and make noise. I always figured it was part of the charm of having the aft facing cabin....

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee

Hey folks - so, if I'm reading all this right, would a good summary be that primarily the outside cabins, particularly in the aft of the ship, would be most affected? Would it make sense that the inside rooms would be rather immune (even the aft ones) since extra "padding" surrounding them? Thanks.

Hey folks - so, if I'm reading all this right, would a good summary be that primarily the outside cabins, particularly in the aft of the ship, would be most affected? Would it make sense that the inside rooms would be rather immune (even the aft ones) since extra "padding" surrounding them? Thanks.

In my experience it is certainly more noticeable nearer the aft of the ship. I don't know if moving more to the center would make a difference? That 'extra padding' that you are talking about is all part of the ships steel internals. Yes, all the walls of the ship, in all the cabins is made of steel, so they will transfer the vibration still. I have never been on a ship that didn't vibrate a little, and roll a little, it's all part of being on a ship.

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

We were on the Wonder last weekend, and the last night the winds must have been a bit stronger. I heard creaking and cracking sounds all around me all night long. I have been on about 30 cruises (about seven of them Disney) and never had this happen before. The closet door was also sliding and banging off and on. I figured the creaking sounds (which sounded much like an old house when a strong wind comes up) were because the ship is so old. I was considering going on another cruise next month with my daughter, her husband, and their son, but having my own room. Hearing that others have lost sleep due to the noise makes me rethink that $1640 I'd have to spend. It was awful, not getting any sleep at all!

Just sailed the Wonder in January after having sailed her twice before. We had an aft cabin on deck 7, close to the OP cabin. 7132 I believe. We sailed out of Galveston on a fog delay and the captain had all engines at full RPM through our entire journey across the gulf, skipping Key West, to get to Castaway Cay at a reasonable time (we were still late).

The seas were relatively mild, but we definitely noticed vibration and noise greater than usual, although tolerable. We slept fine. Later in the cruise when the captain was at more normal speeds, there wasn't much of an issue at all. Having looked at ship speed, wind and sea conditions and listening to the Captain tell us what he was doing, I concluded that it was a combination of full RPM and the ship pushing against current and headwind to make speed that contributed to the vibrations. I was also guessing that the new Duck Tail contributed to the issues, but since our first cruise on the Wonder was Alaska, we never experienced those conditions. Our second cruise on the Wonder was SB Pacific Coast and I don't remember anything then either, but we were more midship. Point being, I really couldn't say if the vibrations existed prior to dry dock. That part is pure speculation.

I've been on other ships and other lines in aft cabins and they all have some sort of noise or vibration from the engine room at higher speeds. That's pretty normal and largely unavoidable I would think. These are big machines after all.

The same girlfriend who slept on the couch just got back from another cruise on the Wonder (with her husband and son this time), and they had a very similar stateroom but at the front of the ship. She said that the room was fantastic, no crazy vibrations whatsoever. Definitely an aft issue.