Going Up The Amazon

RJChatsworth

I read that QV has just been some 600 miles up the Amazon to Manaus.

We have often thought about doing such a cruise, but have not done so on the basis, without any knowledge, that it might be quite boring.

Can anyone convince me that we have got it all wrong and perhaps missing one of the trips of a life time?

I read that QV has just been some 600 miles up the Amazon to Manaus.

We have often thought about doing such a cruise, but have not done so on the basis, without any knowledge, that it might be quite boring.

Can anyone convince me that we have got it all wrong and perhaps missing one of the trips of a life time?

You would be missing a trip of a life time. I mean, how often do you go fishing for piranhas in your everyday life, or listen to a concert in the jungle? We are on QV now heading to Rio, and had a fab time on the Amazon :)

Many thanks cruiseluvva and MawganTr, but I am still no wiser about what you see, the ports, the scenery, weather, wildlife, the native people, etc and then you have to come all the way back again to the open sea!

Ok, we took a walk in the jungle in Santarem and saw a massve boa constructer, ants as big as a 50p piece, saw a local folklore show in Parantins, took a tiny motorised canoe into the tributaries at Manaus and saw beautiful birds, the biggest moths I have ever seen 8-10" big, sloths, caymen, then went to the meeting of the waters and saw pink dolphins. We are fresly picked brazil nuts that have SOFT shells, ate pit cooked pirhana, fresh fruits that I had never seen before - or since!

The Opera House was superb. Pavarotti had been on a guided tour a few days before and given an impromptu performance.

The river itself was miles and miles wide in places, but at other places there were small villages, clusters of houses on stilts, there were floating house boats and schools that moved around as the area flooded each year. The jungle itself was amazing.

Had we not got other, new places to visit, it would be the first place we'd book to go again!

Edited by cruiseluvva