Info needed for Boston hotel & worth arriving a few days early?

bigsky

I live outside Boston as well - you are getting some great recommendations here. The Seaport Hotel is very centrally located and in a safe area to walk around day or night. My teenage daughter went to a convention there last year and I was very comfortable with the kids walking around Harborwalk and the general hotel area as long as nobody was alone. Taxis are very plentiful in front of the hotel and the Silver Line "T" (subway) station is very close.

The Freedom Trail is really interesting, even if you aren't totally into history. I would recommend starting from Boston Common, and doing one of the official Freedom Tours with the costumed guides. We've taken guests in to the city and done the Trail both with the guides and with a self guided map - with the guide is much better.

Fanuil Hall and Quincy Market are definitely fun for shopping and lunch/dinner. If you aren't particularly hungry at lunch it can be fun to get a bunch of different foods from the center of the Market, and sample some different things. Newbury Street is also a fun place for shopping and lunch, if you are into that.

If you run into bad weather and want to do something inside, I think your best bets would be the Aquarium (located on the waterfront right behind Quincy Market), the Museum of Fine Arts, or the Museum of Science, depending on what you are into. All are IMO worth the time and money.

Unless you plan to venture out of the city I would not bother renting a car. Boston is definitely not very driver friendly - you will sit forever in traffic and have a hard time parking. I would either buy a day pass for unlimited travel on the MBTA system, or cab it around. It is a super walkable city if you end up with nice weather and don't mind walking.

Let me know if you want recommendations on restaurants and such. My husband works in the city and we go in a lot.

Thank you so much. Love getting info and suggestions....especially when it's to a place I've never been! The plan is to hit at least some of the freedom trail. I for sure want to go to Fanuil Hall/Quincy Market. Just depends on the time frame of how far we get and how much time is spent at the Hall. I think we'll just grab a bite to eat wherever we are at the time. This way we don't have to be at any area at a certain time. Not too picky where I eat....sometimes : )

Happy to be where we are located with the hotel.

Now to just get people to communicate in the roll call. Guess I'll find others to talk with here :D

Silver Line/Seaport hotel on Youtube

1). Minute 32 is the bus stopping at World Trade on .Congress.

2). SL1 Silver Line at Terminal C -

3) hotel services and amenities -

Thank you for the links! Feel like I've been there already : ) I skimmed through the long video showing the full bus ride. Hopefully I get off at the right stop! :rolleyes:

Make sure you take a ride on the Swan Boats in the Public Garden (https://swanboats.com/). Stop at the "Make Way for Ducklings" sculpture. Also you will also be near Cheers (take photos don't eat there), the Esplanade on the Charles River (the Hatch Shell is where the Boston Pops play on the 4th of July), and Beacon Hill (the African Meeting House on the "back-side" of Beacon Hill is very interesting.

Boston is small and the public transportation is safe. Have a great time!

Make sure you take a ride on the Swan Boats in the Public Garden (https://swanboats.com/). Stop at the "Make Way for Ducklings" sculpture. Also you will also be near Cheers (take photos don't eat there), the Esplanade on the Charles River (the Hatch Shell is where the Boston Pops play on the 4th of July), and Beacon Hill (the African Meeting House on the "back-side" of Beacon Hill is very interesting.

Boston is small and the public transportation is safe. Have a great time!

Not sure how much time we'll have to do what we want. But will write down these suggestions. Thanks!

It should be in the 12-15 minute range. Almost as fast as a cab. Even faster if there's a line to get cabs.

ok...that's fine. I do remember you saying that video was from the South terminal. So wasn't sure distance with the south and C....good to know so I know what to anticipate. Free sounds better that paying! :D

very helpful & friendly thread so hope you don't mind an add. question, pls : can anyone tell me please which car rental cos. have shuttle service from port to airport? OR, is there a rental car location at the port? if so, which co./cos.?

looks like we'll be on same cruise as you bigsky, May 26 sailing of DAWN-? although I haven't even looked at roll call yet. we're currently booked w/NCL on different cruise late May, but will be changing today to Dawn sailing, 26 May (also interested in America's Cup!, among other reasons for making change)

we will spend some time in Boston post-cruise (vs. pre-cruise, we'll likely arrive day-of..), but want car after we disembark on 2 June. prefer to get car from airport location, as that's where we would return it, but if there is a rental location at port, that would work, too, i.e. pickup car at port, return to airport. I'm familiar w/which car rental cos. run shuttles between ports & airports in FL, but have never sailed out of Boston (been to Boston a few times - wonderful city! A LOT to do there, as has been suggested, all sounds good!

thanks in advance for any help w/car rental info & shuttles.

Lynn

Hello Lynn, To my knowledge there are no car rental companies located right at the cruise port. I know that if you use Enterprise, they will pick you up right outside the terminal, although there is no formal rental car drop off or pick up area.

I unfortunately don't know about any rental agencies that offer shuttles from the cruise port to the airport or South Station, but I do know that the Silver Line bus has a stop right at the cruise port that will quickly and easily take you to the airport to access the many car rental agencies there. You can go onto http://www.massport.com to find fare information and when the buses run. I think a cab would cost you maybe $20 - Uber would be somewhat cheaper as it isn't far from the airport to the cruise port and it is extremely easy to Uber in Boston.

very helpful & friendly thread so hope you don't mind an add. question, pls : can anyone tell me please which car rental cos. have shuttle service from port to airport? OR, is there a rental car location at the port? if so, which co./cos.?

looks like we'll be on same cruise as you bigsky, May 26 sailing of DAWN-? although I haven't even looked at roll call yet. we're currently booked w/NCL on different cruise late May, but will be changing today to Dawn sailing, 26 May (also interested in America's Cup!, among other reasons for making change)

we will spend some time in Boston post-cruise (vs. pre-cruise, we'll likely arrive day-of..), but want car after we disembark on 2 June. prefer to get car from airport location, as that's where we would return it, but if there is a rental location at port, that would work, too, i.e. pickup car at port, return to airport. I'm familiar w/which car rental cos. run shuttles between ports & airports in FL, but have never sailed out of Boston (been to Boston a few times - wonderful city! A LOT to do there, as has been suggested, all sounds good!

Lynn

What are you planning to do with a car post cruise? If you're staying outside Boston or visiting sights outside Boston, that's fine. However, if you're staying in Boston for sightseeing, a car can be an expensive liability.

thanks for your prompt & helpful replies. we're not 100% sure yet 3xactly what we're going to do in Boston (area), post-cruise. If we decide to stay in the city, likely will drop idea of car rental. advice well-taken, thank you!,

thanks again for your replies. much appreciated!

Lynn

Lynn

Hi Lynn!

Roll call is non existent. It's there, but no one is chatting. Glad to hear you're on the same cruise. Air is pricey! More so if we hung out a few days after than before. We've cruised a lot, but never Ncl. My dh loves to sail and usually has a boat to play with. What age group are you in? [emoji16] You enjoy sailing as well? Maybe you should join roll call so

We can chat there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree about a car being an expensive liability if you are going to pretty much be staying within the Boston city limits, or anywhere else accessible by the public transit system. The MBTA transit system does run to some of the outlying tourist attractions that you might want to visit. Salem is a fun place to walk around for a day, as are Concord and Lexington which are also accessible via commuter rail. If you want to visit Cape Cod, there is a ferry that runs from the Boston wharf to Provincetown.

My husband works in Boston and completely knows where he is going whenever we do opt to take the car in, but unless I knew exactly where I was going and knew there would be places to park I would always take the train.

I agree about a car being an expensive liability if you are going to pretty much be staying within the Boston city limits, or anywhere else accessible by the public transit system. The MBTA transit system does run to some of the outlying tourist attractions that you might want to visit. Salem is a fun place to walk around for a day, as are Concord and Lexington which are also accessible via commuter rail. If you want to visit Cape Cod, there is a ferry that runs from the Boston wharf to Provincetown.

My husband works in Boston and completely knows where he is going whenever we do opt to take the car in, but unless I knew exactly where I was going and knew there would be places to park I would always take the train.

you 'Boston folks' are great! the places you mention are all under consideration... only staying thru the weekend, though... have been to Boston and done major 'tourist' sites, but it's been awhile so may stay in city-? if we were to go to Salem, Concord, or Lexington and get hotel there, would likely just take taxi from port when we disembark ship , as we'll have luggage and don't really want to lug luggage on public transport -- so how 'difficult' would it be to get taxi to airport, pick up car, then drive to Salem, Concord, or Lexington?

bigsky: yes we are sailors - from Annapolis, MD (east coast sailing capital ;-) I've never been to Bermuda. DH has & has sailed from Annapolis to Caribbean. we're excited to see America's Cup -- I'll continue on roll call. haven't been there yet, but I'll 'check-in' there next - look forward to 'chatting' w/you there or maybe via email? ( lap 3333 at hotmail dot com )

It wouldn't be bad at all to take a taxi from the cruise port to the airport and rent a car from there. All of the car rental agencies at Logan are located in one central place outside the terminal, so it would be easy for a taxi to drop you right off at the rental car hub away from the airport pickups and drop offs. From what I understand it is a little less expensive to rent a car from the airport location than it is from South Station or other outlying locations.

If you want to do Concord (minuteman national park, Lexington green, etc) one day and Salem another you might want to consider staying in Burlington or Bedford which are located between the two, have several decent hotels, and are easy ride from Boston. On your Salem day (witch museum, maritime park, house of seven gables) you might want to keep driving north and. Heck out Gloucester, Rockport, Newburyport. All interesting places to walk around.

I totally agree with this advice. Burlington/Bedford is a good location to find nicer suburban hotels, some of which have good rates on weekends because they are used by business travelers during the week. That area is my "home turf", so I can offer suggestions.

I think we have the same home turf 138! We are a little further out, off Route 2.

In May you will be looking at very high hotel prices right in the city because of all the college graduations. I know the Marriott in Burlington offers some great spring weekend deals including breakfast, and there are probably several other nice hotels with deals like that as 138East mentioned.

thete is a water taxi from Boston to Salem. That would be a fun day trip.

Boston has so much to offer, see, do. Historic, shopping, tons of great restaurants. You can catch a baseball game, take a duck tour, walk the Freedom trail, lots of museums-from children's health to science to art.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
It wouldn't be bad at all to take a taxi from the cruise port to the airport and rent a car from there. All of the car rental agencies at Logan are located in one central place outside the terminal, so it would be easy for a taxi to drop you right off at the rental car hub away from the airport pickups and drop offs. From what I understand it is a little less expensive to rent a car from the airport location than it is from South Station or other outlying locations.

If you want to do Concord (minuteman national park, Lexington green, etc) one day and Salem another you might want to consider staying in Burlington or Bedford which are located between the two, have several decent hotels, and are easy ride from Boston. On your Salem day (witch museum, maritime park, house of seven gables) you might want to keep driving north and. Heck out Gloucester, Rockport, Newburyport. All interesting places to walk around.

Just getting back to finalizing plans for fast-approaching cruise. thank you Boston Mom, 138east, Lorieb329 for your helpful info.

decided that we will rent car from airport, then drive to Burlington-Bedford, where booked hotel for weekend. we likely will want to go back into city one day or partial day, is there train/ public transport/park & ride from Burlington-Bedford-Salem-Concord into city? water taxi Salem-Boston a possibility, as well -- will look up details.

appreciate your helpful info - thank you again!

Lynn

Just getting back to finalizing plans for fast-approaching cruise. thank you Boston Mom, 138east, Lorieb329 for your helpful info.

decided that we will rent car from airport, then drive to Burlington-Bedford, where booked hotel for weekend. we likely will want to go back into city one day or partial day, is there train/ public transport/park & ride from Burlington-Bedford-Salem-Concord into city? water taxi Salem-Boston a possibility, as well -- will look up details.

Lynn

You're coming to my neighborhood! What hotel did you book?

Refresh my memory about the exact dates you will be doing this and what you might want to explore outside the city. On weekends it's possible to park at the T (train or subway) without having to be there by 8 am. Your choice of route will depend on which hotel you have chosen (did you book a cancellable rate just in case I have alternative suggestions?)

Lynn

Hi Lynn

There is a water taxi from Salem to Boston, and also commuter rail train to the city. Just got back last night from our cruise, wish we were going again!

Let me know if you need suggestions.

Lorie

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

booked the Marriott (Boston Marriott Burlington, One Burlington Mall Rd. yes cancellable)

will be there first weekend June. disembark NCL Dawn early a.m, Friday 2 June - will get rental car from airport, then drive 'that direction' :plan is to visit Burlington, Bedford, Concord, Salem -- any specific recommendations most welcome! - thank you!

Lynn

booked the Marriott (Boston Marriott Burlington, One Burlington Mall Rd. yes cancellable)

will be there first weekend June. disembark NCL Dawn early a.m, Friday 2 June - will get rental car from airport, then drive 'that direction' :plan is to visit Burlington, Bedford, Concord, Salem -- any specific recommendations most welcome! - thank you!

Lynn

You've picked one of the nicest hotels in the area that is centrally located between Concord and Salem and close to the Burlington Mall. You want to concentrate on Lexington, Concord, and Salem - not much in Bedford and Burlington. If you want to go in town, you should take the T from Alewife so you get the benefit of the frequent service.