Deck 8 signature suite on Zuiderdam

caggfamily

I'm going to be on a 10 day partial canal transit on the Zuiderdam in November and am booked on deck 8 - I always choose decks that are sandwiched between other decks to minimize noise, but my parents are already booked on deck 8 and want me next to them.

I do not have the option to change decks, so I'm looking for advance info from anyone who has been below the lido deck - we are below the bar area I believe. How bad is the noise compared with being below other cabins? We have been below quiet cabins and noisy. I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks.

We've had deck 8 cabins under the aft pool deck on the Eurodam, Koningsdam, and Oosterdam. (On the sides, not the stern.) We are early risers, so the only significant noise we heard was some loud music at night, not the chair scraping as the stewards straighten out the deck chairs early in the morning that some people complain about. I think most of that noise happens out near the stern railing, not under the bar area.

Edited by jtl513

- we are below the bar area I believe.
I incorrectly thought you meant the Sea View bar until I just realized that you said Signature suite. I've never had a cabin below the Lido bar, but suspect you might hear a lot of footsteps there. We once had a cabin below a Lido cabana on the Nieuw A, and heard a lot of footsteps on the night of the dessert extravaganza.

Edited by jtl513

We had SS on Zuiderdam deck 8 for Panama Canal cruise in December. No problem with noise from above. Ours was 8095 so might have been a little aft of yours. But, don't believe you will have any problems with noise. Loved our location as close to elevator and could be up to Lido for morning coffee and back to room in about 2 minutes.

Jane

• Like 1

We were on the Zuiderdam in October. Our suite was under the Lido dining area, and we heard no noise at all.

Ours was 8095 so might have been a little aft of yours.
Being back under the carpeted dining area is a lot different than being under the Lido Bar area on one of the two passageways between the pool and dining areas.

Edited by jtl513

Being back under the carpeted dining area is a lot different than being under the Lido Bar area on one of the two passageways between the pool and dining areas.

True - which is why we normally book there and select "do not upgrade".

I was on Zuiderdam last month in cabin 8099, a signature suite mid-aft where the "bump" is on the side of the ship, so we had a huge z-shaped balcony.

No noise from above at all! No footsteps or furniture sounds, nothing. We were very pleased with it, as it was so quick to go upstairs to the lido for the bread pudding or outside to the seaview bar and pool. The dining room was a quick elevator ride down too.

My only extremely minor issues would be next time I would prefer a cabin on the port side if doing the same itinerary, as there seemed more to see on that side. Also, I felt the movement of the ship more than I have on say deck six previously, especially at night when the ship is racing to the next port. All very minor, as you can see.

Cheers

I was on Zuiderdam last month in cabin 8099, a signature suite mid-aft where the "bump" is on the side of the ship, so we had a huge z-shaped balcony.

No noise from above at all! No footsteps or furniture sounds, nothing.

Again, IMO that is not the same as being below one of the two un-carpeted traffic corridors between the pool and dining areas.

No noise from above at all! No footsteps or furniture sounds, nothing. We were very pleased with it, as it was so quick to go upstairs to the lido for the bread pudding or outside to the seaview bar and pool. The dining room was a quick elevator ride down too.

My only extremely minor issues would be next time I would prefer a cabin on the port side if doing the same itinerary, as there seemed more to see on that side. Also, I felt the movement of the ship more than I have on say deck six previously, especially at night when the ship is racing to the next port. All very minor, as you can see.

Cheers

We have this suite on our cruise coming up in 6 weeks...can I ask how the breeze was while underway? We've had an angled balcony before on RCL and it wasn't an issue...just wondering with this one, as well as shade coverage.

Thanks for any information!

Being four times in a Signature suite under the Lido deck, I must admit the noise is unpredictable from one cruise to the next.

It depends on the activities planned, the busyness, the differences in clearing, and maintenance.

No way to predict anything, Noise can't be that bad, unless you have a grinder right off your balcony!!!!!!

Sail in peace, and ignore any minor noise if present :)

Edited by OceanTraveller4ever

We have this suite on our cruise coming up in 6 weeks...can I ask how the breeze was while underway? We've had an angled balcony before on RCL and it wasn't an issue...just wondering with this one, as well as shade coverage.

Thanks for any information!

No wind issues or lack of shade at all for us! I found the side with the table and chairs was rarely in direct sunlight, while the loungers were much of the time.

No wind issues or lack of shade at all for us! I found the side with the table and chairs was rarely in direct sunlight, while the loungers were much of the time.

Perfect! Thank you so much!

This is our first suite stateroom and I think the thing I'm looking forward to most is having the regular table and chairs on the balcony to enjoy morning coffee or cocktails and snacks in the afternoon. It was always so hard to accomplish that with the tiny side tables on the last two balcony rooms we had.

Being four times in a Signature suite under the Lido deck, I must admit the noise is unpredictable from one cruise to the next.

It depends on the activities planned, the busyness, the differences in clearing, and maintenance.

No way to predict anything, Noise can't be that bad, unless you have a grinder right off your balcony!!!!!!

Sail in peace, and ignore any minor noise if present :)

Ditto. Noises are also different, depending upon itinerary/scheduled-activities. Not bad enough to avoid though, IMHO.

Frankly, I've been far more annoyed by our neighbor's incessant day-time balcony furniture dragging and balcony door slamming than the noise from the Lido.

We were in 8147 on the Westerdam (identical layout to Zuiderdam), which is a corner aftwrap under the Sea View bar area. We were in Alaska in September, and it was cold, and the area wasn't greatly used, so it didn't bother us much.

BUT the day we were in Glacier Bay and when we pulled in and out of ports, we could definitely hear chairs sliding across the deck, we could hear people talking above us and smell their cigarette smoke. We also woke to a big piece of chocolate cake splatted on our railing and deck the morning we pulled into Glacier Bay, presumably blown down from above. I imagine if we were on a warm weather cruise it would have been more annoying. We were also out photographing a spectacular sunset one evening with fancy camera set up on a tripod when we suddenly had water pouring down on us from above. The crew were swabbing the pool deck above us. In the future, we'll try to book lower decks because of all this, but if deck 8 were the only aft facing cabins available, I'd book them again in a heartbeat.