Question on the social media package

teddyton

Hub app and Internet packages are two separate things. HUB app is free to use while onboard and is only good onboard. You connect to ship wifi and see your sign and sail account balance, ship maps, fun times, set reminders for activities you don't want to miss, see your Pixels pictures if on Vista, see show times and movies and bar and restaurant hours. PLUS for a flat fee of 5 bucks per cruise, you can activate chat and send messages to other users onboard who also have chat activated.

Internet/wifi packages are for connecting to the outside world off-ship. You don't have to buy any Internet to use hub. There are 3 levels of service for internet packages and you can pay for them by the day or get a discount for buying them for the whole cruise.

For BOTH hub and Internet you put your phone in airplane mode and then go back into your device and turn on wifi. That way you don't accidentally connect to cellular data and run up big bills with Carnival and/or your carrier.

sent from my galaxy tab a

Further question on this topic, so weekly rates will be made available when I'm on the ship, as they are not advertised via carnival.com? Thanks, Patti

Further question on this topic, so weekly rates will be made available when I'm on the ship, as they are not advertised via carnival.com? Thanks, Patti

Right, when you get on-board and connect they will show you the discount for ordering for the entire cruise. I've never seen them published outside the cruise ships other than when people here happen to remember what theirs was.

Hi! If you try to open links on Facebook, posts with links, you will be blocked and prompted to pay for internet packages. The social package, I believe was $5 a day and allows access to instagram, Facebook, and messaging

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you buy this near the end of the cruise? Would want to confirm travel arrangements, etc, but don't think I'd use it at the start of the cruise.

There are several computers on each ship that you can use to check travel arrangements and even print boarding passes without costing a thing. On the Glory it is near the Creams coffee shop on the Promenade Deck. Don't know where it is on each ship.

Hi! If you try to open links on Facebook, posts with links, you will be blocked and prompted to pay for internet packages. The social package, I believe was $5 a day and allows access to instagram, Facebook, and messaging

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, I was assuming you already had the internet package

I'm interested in getting the Social Media package for my kids - For those of you have who used it previously is this something you purchase before hand? Or do you wait to purchase it once on board? And it looks like from the previous posts I can iMessage them (and others) with this package as well correct? I was also wondering whether it just logs in from your phone, or do you have to re log in to the individual sites (FB, Twitter etc) ... (just so I can make sure everyone has their passwords since they usually automatically log in)

I'm interested in getting the Social Media package for my kids - For those of you have who used it previously is this something you purchase before hand? Or do you wait to purchase it once on board? And it looks like from the previous posts I can iMessage them (and others) with this package as well correct? I was also wondering whether it just logs in from your phone, or do you have to re log in to the individual sites (FB, Twitter etc) ... (just so I can make sure everyone has their passwords since they usually automatically log in)

I may make some assumptions that are incorrect so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as it may have a bearing on the right answer:

First, you purchase it on board. Once you board the ship you put your device in airplane mode which turns off everything. Go into your device settings and turn WiFi back on.

This allows the device to connect to the ship wifi. This is no different than connecting to your home wifi or a public wifi at a restaurant or something. You're just on their network instead of yours.

From there they will show you the internet package options and allow you to buy for the entire cruise at a discount or pay the daily rate for 24 hours of service.

You can only have one device logged in at a time for any of the packages so if you want them all to be able to iMessage you they all need the plan. Otherwise they need to take turns.

The internet packages allow you to communicate off-ship so yes, you can iMessage others too or any other text app you all may have in common that the social plan supports (there are several apps and sites but ONLY those are allowed on the social plan. It blocks all other traffic).

Alternatively, if you don't need to connect to the real internet and the ship you are sailing has it, you can all download the HUB app before the cruise and pay 5 bucks per device to enable chat for the entire cruise. Again, pay for chat once you get on board. That's a one-time fee by the way, not per day. You don't have to buy any internet package to use the HUB app but it is limited to onboard only. Can't surf the internet with HUB.

Once you have all the phones or tablets you want set up they would just go to their facebook or twitter or whatever like they normally do. It never hurts to know your passwords but man, I sure do get not remembering them all and sometimes the auto-login just freaks out and makes you login anyway. But ordinarily, they would just open their apps as they always do. You're already on the ship wifi by now and it will allow them to connect to their accounts.

hope that helps!