Need Help - Size 0

mtaylor04

Mary,

Since your info doesn't tell us where you're from, I can only throw out the names of stores that may or may not be in your area.

Sak's and Lord & Taylor have large petite departments <g>, and size 0 is common, so there shouldn't be a problem finding that size.

NOrdstrom's, Bloomingdales and Neiman's also have petite departments.

Jane

I feel your pain. My DD is 17 and size 0. She is also 5' 1". Shopping for her can be difficult. In Canada Laura Petites had been helpful especially on their sale racks. I have bought things for her and had a dressmaker take in and shorten. Pants are another story.;)

MY 17 year old daughter is only 4 foot 8, she weighs 82 lbs ( she has a cronic illness which prevented her growth and keeps her tiny) I am having a VERY hard time finding "17 year old girl/young lady) fashions for her. The childrens department is just that, childrens. The juniors ( which she so longs to wear) are just to big. Any advice for my petite DD?

Thanks

In canada, Jacob Junior and Old Navy have been useful. Also Garage. Tops in the juniors department and pants in children's are the way I go with my DD. I tell her that great things come in small packages, like diamonds....that puts a smile on her face. She is barely 5'1" and 95 lbs.

In the States, we have found things in some of the junior stores in the way of tops. The cropped pants this year are working well.

As I said before, it is a challenge but it can be done.:p

It has been ages since I have gone to the mall...but a former colleague of mine was in her early 20's and very tiny (maybe 5', under 100 lbs).

She was devoted to Petite Sophisticates (do they still exist?), and the petite section of Nordstroms. Macy's may have been another option, I simply don't remember....but she never lacked choices at the larger department stores...and that girl had great style!

Best wishes,

~e

Thanks, I tried Nordstrom's but I only found size 2, maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I will try the other places.

We are in Arkansas

Mary

Where in Arkansas? If you are in Little Rock, I know Park Plaza has a couple of stores that cater to petites. Also, have you looked at Dillard's? Sometimes you can find a good sales person there that will help you look for outfits in your size. I know Dillard's will call other stores to see what they have available as well.

Mary,

Dillard's would probably be a good choice. Sorry you didn't find any in Nordstrom. The clothes exist, but the Nordstrom buyer apparently doesn't see a need to buy them. What I would do is talk to the manager of the petite department and ask them to pass on your comments to the buyer. It's all about numbers and profit. If a few people request the 0's, the buyer will get them in the store.

Jane

Were in the Northwest Arkansas area. Our Mall has a couple of stores geared toward smaller girls but they are frequently trashing looking clothes (imo). I want her to have (so does she) more grown up looking clothes. I will try Dillards and see what I can find.

Bluedevil - we often buy tops and swimsuites at Victoria's secret because they have petite 0's and sometimes double 0's. Items are expensive but they frequently go on sale. I like the site because you can sort by size. However, the pants never fit.

I will search petite sophisticate and see what I find.

Thanks for the ideas

Mary

Are the 5-7-9 shops still around? Seems to me they had those tiny sizes. Do a google search and see what turns up. Maybe Rue 21 would have some ideas. They are on-line and have stores.

Angie

I don't know if they still exist or not. But even if they do, woudn't they only sell 5's, 7's and 9's? Also, they sell/sold a regular, not a petite, fit.

Jane

I'm not sure if 5-7-9 is still around either, but back in the 80's they started carrying 0, 1, 3. I think this was because the standard sizes got bigger and what used to be a 5 or a 3 was now a 0 or a 1.

I hope you have luck finding her something. Everyone would much rather buy something that fits off the rack rather than guess how it will look with alterations. At 5'3' size 6, I often have to hem my pants, and I am lucky if with heels I don't have to hem my long gowns.

I remember looking at girls dresses in Dillards and seeing some pretty sophisticated styles, some with sequins and an A-line rather than the typical little girl Cinderalla look.

Be sure to let us know if you find something.

Mary,

Dillard's would probably be a good choice. Sorry you didn't find any in Nordstrom. The clothes exist, but the Nordstrom buyer apparently doesn't see a need to buy them. What I would do is talk to the manager of the petite department and ask them to pass on your comments to the buyer. It's all about numbers and profit. If a few people request the 0's, the buyer will get them in the store.

Jane

No size zeros at my Dillards the smallest is usually sz. 2- but most often sz 4. Meg can occasionially find a sz 1 in juniors. We have pretty much learned we have to have things altered. Normally too this can double the cost as to find a person who does a good job it is expensive.

I'm not sure if 5-7-9 is still around either, but back in the 80's they started carrying 0, 1, 3. I think this was because the standard sizes got bigger and what used to be a 5 or a 3 was now a 0 or a 1.

I hope you have luck finding her something. Everyone would much rather buy something that fits off the rack rather than guess how it will look with alterations. At 5'3' size 6, I often have to hem my pants, and I am lucky if with heels I don't have to hem my long gowns.

I remember looking at girls dresses in Dillards and seeing some pretty sophisticated styles, some with sequins and an A-line rather than the typical little girl Cinderalla look.

Be sure to let us know if you find something.

5-7-9 is a problem for Meg too. We can find pants smaller there but they are like 7 0r 8 inches too long-it is hard to believe too. Meg is 5'1" in height weighs 85 pounds-and is DEFINETELY underweight but we STILL have to have pants hemmed when we find them small enough. Can you imagine a girl being 5'8" and needing a zero or double zero? She would not be anorexic-she would be dead. So why are these pants made so LONG?

Also the quality is pretty cheezy there-not good quality stuff at all.

No size zeros at my Dillards the smallest is usually sz. 2- but most often sz 4.

The advice I gave about Nordstrom can apply to Dillard's as well.

Substitute the word Dillard's for Nordtrom's in the advice I gave Mary.

"The clothes exist, but the Nordstrom buyer apparently doesn't see a need to buy them. What I would do is talk to the manager of the petite department and ask them to pass on your comments to the buyer. It's all about numbers and profit. If a few people request the 0's, the buyer will get them in the store. "

If the store knows that enough people will buy them, they will stock them.

MY 17 year old daughter is only 4 foot 8, she weighs 82 lbs ( she has a cronic illness which prevented her growth and keeps her tiny) I am having a VERY hard time finding "17 year old girl/young lady) fashions for her. The childrens department is just that, childrens. The juniors ( which she so longs to wear) are just to big. Any advice for my petite DD?

Thanks

Your daughter sounds like my Meg. Meg is 21 though and she is 5'1" but she only weighs 85 pounds and is a zero or double zero. (Zero is misses and double zero is juniors)

Unless we have something altered and bare that expense-alot of Meg's clothes come from the girl's department. She buys alot of stuff from Limited II and buys a 14 slim in slacks.

She does't though like the buy blouses there much. They ofcourse have no bust darts and things look "sacky" on her and make her look even skinnier and more "little girlish" then she is. Meg's measurements are 32-24-33 so she has a woman's figure-just scaled down.

But Limited II does have cute stuff and even though it is girl's stuff- it has a more "mature" look. You know ten year olds want to dress like they are 18 now-a-days. So maybe your daughter can luck out and find a few things there she would like.

But the long and the short of it is- as you well know-you have to do a LOT of shopping and alot of looking and trying on-to find things that work-and then ofcourse also you need a good seamtress for altering.

Look on Ebay. There is a tremendous amount of clothes in 0 and 2's. A lot of them are designer labels. A lot of them made for showroom samples. I just did a quick search-"gown + 0" - over 36 came up. And that was just for formal wear.

Good luck!

http://clothing.search.ebay.com/0-gown_Womens-Clothing_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ15724QQsatitleZ0Q20Q2bQ20gown

Are the 5-7-9 shops still around? Seems to me they had those tiny sizes. Do a google search and see what turns up. Maybe Rue 21 would have some ideas. They are on-line and have stores.

Angie

I just wanted to add about the 5-7-9 shops. I am not sure this is the same store that I shopped at 25 years ago. Boy I loved that shop then. Great stuff and very good quality.

When Meg got around 13 we could only find this shop at South Lake Mall in the Atlanta, Ga area. It was a good 30 miles away and because of traffic at least an hour drive for us but we would shop there. We would make a special trip 2 or 3 times a year to get stuff for her. Then it closed. I was told the whole chain went out of business.

Then about a year after Arbor Place Mall opened here in Douglasville- a 5-8-9 store opened up. Meg and I were so excited about it until we saw the quality of the clothing. Most of the stuff is kind of cheezy and cheap materials. Not the stuff we used to se in the South Lake Mall shop.

She has bought as I said a couple of pairs of slacks there (that we had altered) and occsaionially a shrug or a camisole-but the stuff does not hold up-she does good to get one season of wear out of it. She still shops there though because at lwast she can find tops and blouses that fit her there.

Look on Ebay. There is a tremendous amount of clothes in 0 and 2's. A lot of them are designer labels. A lot of them made for showroom samples. I just did a quick search-"gown + 0" - over 36 came up. And that was just for formal wear.

Good luck!

http://clothing.search.ebay.com/0-gown_Womens-Clothing_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ15724QQsatitleZ0Q20Q2bQ20gown

What a great suggestion!

Angie

I just wanted to add about the 5-7-9 shops. I am not sure this is the same store that I shopped at 25 years ago. Boy I loved that shop then. Great stuff and very good quality.

When Meg got around 13 we could only find this shop at South Lake Mall in the Atlanta, Ga area. It was a good 30 miles away and because of traffic at least an hour drive for us but we would shop there. We would make a special trip 2 or 3 times a year to get stuff for her. Then it closed. I was told the whole chain went out of business.

Then about a year after Arbor Place Mall opened here in Douglasville- a 5-7-9 store opened up. Meg and I were so excited about it until we saw the quality of the clothing. Most of the stuff is kind of cheezy and cheap materials. Not the stuff we used to se in the South Lake Mall shop.

She has bought as I said a couple of pairs of slacks there (that we had altered) and occsaionially a shrug or a camisole-but the stuff does not hold up-she does good to get one season of wear out of them. She still shops there though because at least she can find tops and blouses that fit her there.

Archived