Unlimited Internet on Solstice - pricing & discounts?

CCC's

Hi fellow cruisers. Will be on Solstice with my daughter on 3 April 2017 and considering purchasing unlimited internet whilst on Solstice (10 day NZ cruise).

Firstly, what is the cost and is it better to purchase before sailing or when on board. Secondly, we are Classic in Captains Club so is there any discount applied to the cost.

Also, how is the internet speed or is it still dismally slow?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi fellow cruisers. Will be on Solstice with my daughter on 3 April 2017 and considering purchasing unlimited internet whilst on Solstice (10 day NZ cruise).

Firstly' date=' what is the cost and is it better to purchase before sailing or when on board. Secondly, we are Classic in Captains Club so is there any discount applied to the cost.

[/quote']

There is a 10% discount when you purchase in advance of the cruise.

There is an additional discount when you have Classic status. It can be applied pre-cruise (but you may have to call and speak with someone who knows about it) or on board.

We did SYD-AKL 12 nights Nov-Dec 16, can't help you on pricing as we had it included as Go Best package perks. The ship was post drydock in Oct 16 where it had Excellerate rolled out. We had good WiFi in our cabin and all around the ship.

Speeds did vary - download from 1.5Mbps to 9.68Mbps average about 4Mbps, sufficient to watch Netflix no problems ...which my DW binged on. I always had Pandora playing in the cabin or my earphones when at gym etc. Upload is atrocious from 0.22Mbps to max 1.20Mbps with avg 0.85Mbps (upload rate will impact your ability to do Facetime/Skype video calls however I never had any issues for voice only Skype/Facetime). ping/latency times varied from. 665ms to 932ms with avg of about 800ms.

Altogether I was very surprised at how good and reliable the internet was, there was only one night when crossing the southern Tasman that there was any outage. I also like how if you had the unlimited internet you could utilise any of your devices (only one at a time) by simply logging on with the new device and kicking off the other. Hope that this helps. Enjoy your cruise, I know we certainly did!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you Bagwhan and Caribill for your responses. Much appreciated.

I found that the Netflix you get is a little different to what's on offer here in Australia, your Oz log in will work fine, but you will only be able to access USA Netflix content as the satellite Internet thinks that you are downloading in Miami and so any geo restrictions are USA based. The content is similar but not the same, so if you are going to start a series that is on Netflix USA make sure you binge it all down while on your cruise otherwise you might have to wait a while to get any remaining episodes!

Also we found that we could not operate our 'Foxtel Go' which is only good for within Australia/NZ region as our URL indicated to Foxtel that we were in Miami. I think we had the same issues accessing ABC iView; SBS On Demand etc.

Cheers

John