Review of 10/31/05 Tahitian Princess cruise

lovetotravel77

I wanted to pass on a few notes on our cruise. We just got home yesterday and I know that many are interested in any info they can get. We left to go to Tahiti early on 10/28. Very empty flight! We stayed in an OWB at IBC in Tahiti. The room was WONDERFUL! We snorkled everyday off our dock. There was coral only a few feet from our OWB. Then there is a shower on the dock to wash everything off with. The show that is at the IBC of the tahitian dancers was not very good. All in French and Tahitian. I didn't know what was going on. It also was very Hawaiian not Tahitian. The food for the show was terrible, and it cost $80.00 pp. If you feel you really need to see the show you can watch it for $5.00pp and it really was a $5.00 show.

We ate at Belviders (?). We loved it. They picked us up at the hotel. The ride was very interesting. The view was great! We saw our ship pulling into port while we were eating. Go at 4:30p for the sunset. $55.00 pp which included the ride. Good deal.

We brought pearls at the Tahitian Pearl Market in town. They will pick you up at your hotel if you want. The best pearls are on the ground level and next best price on 2nd level and lowest quality on 3rd floor. We brought some on first floor for me and some on 3rd floor as gifts. We felt we got a great value for excellent pearls. The third floor in an 18k gold setting that we picked out (we also picked out the pearls and had them set while we waited) were about $100 each and of course the higher priced ones on 1st level range from $750.00 to 10,000. The skys the limit. We also brought flowers in the market for the room.

We arranged for a private tour from an English speaking guide to see some of the island. He did a very good job! Carl's Tours and Transfers. Email at carls.cab@mail.pf. We did a half day tour, but he would do whatever you want.

Boarded ship on Oct 31st. Beautiful ship. Very different from any other Princess ships lots of wood and deep rich colors. Our room was just a regular balcony room. We loved having a balcony, get one if you can. We were in room 7044. Rolando was our room steward and did a great job. In fact, everyone on board ship was very excellent. We had Jo El as a waiter and Petre as asst waiter. Both excellent.

Our first stop was Moorea. Very beautiful island. We had nothing arranged for morning and thought we would go to dock and see if we could hire a taxi to take us to 2 view points about an hour. We did have a hard time hiring someone. They all had vans and wanted to get them filled before leaving. But we were on first tender and it was only about 8:15am and talked someone into taking us. In fact we got along so well that he took us around the whole island. He spoke excellent English, he was born in California. If anyone meets him tell him you heard about him from Tammy and Aaron and see if we can get his email and post it on this thread. We would love to write to him. He will understand why you are asking for it.

Afternoon we went on Dr Pooles Whale watch. Good news for all booked on that tour in the next month or two. There are 2 set of mothers with babies who are nursing. They will not leave the protection of the reef until babies are done nursing, so you may see and swim with whales. We did and took pictures in the water with them! Great time.

Then we had 2 days at sea. Next Nuku Hiva. We arranged a seven hour tour with Claude email claudepua@mail.pf. it was $250.00 and worth every penny. Do this if you can! We loved it. He took us to the north side of the island which is beautiful. We loved it. For those going to Nuku Hiva and Hiva Oa, you are in for a treat. Wonderful islands! Be sure to bring extra cash to buy carvings. Their wood carvings were wonderful. We did find better workmanship and prices on Hiva Oa, but you never know if you are going to make it in to either island, so if you are at Nuku Hiva buy something and bring extra if you are able to make it in to Hiva Oa.

On Hiva Oa, the water was so rough they almost called off the tenders. Be on the first one, if they get you there, they will have to get you back! Princess arranges for people to drive you into town. We arranged with our driver to take us on a tour after the show in town. He left us off at the gravesite of Gaugain and we walked into town. Brought our wood carvings and watch the show which was wonderful. Then we met our driver and he took us on a 2 hour tour. Great time.

Next another day at sea. Then Rangiroa. Let me say this, it is kind of interesting to see this type of island. It was long and narrow. But unless you have a great desire to see the church, don't spend the $15.00 pp to go into that small, small, small town. No point going. No shopping, nothing to do except wait for the bus to take you back. More shopping at dock and if you walk up the road about 15 or 20 min you can see the ocean and a little of island. Some people hired to small boat to take them to the Blue Lagoon to snorkle. I wish I had done that. We had a snorkle trip arranged through Princess for afternoon, so we went into town (what town) in morning and went back to ship to eat and get bathing suit on and did our snorkle trip which was GREAT! I saw a hugh eel! and tons of fish. I would have booked a morning snorkle and afternoon snorkle if I had know how nice it was.

Next we arrived at noon at Raiatea. After so many days at sea and in so small ports it seemed like we had arrived at a big city! Lots of shopping in the town. We went on the sunset cruise and just loved it. Nice stop I just wish we had more time here and less time at Rangiroa so we could have seen more of the island.

Our last stop was Bora Bora. What can I say. Bora Bora is beautiful. The water was what really makes it beautiful. We arranged on our own to hire a 4hr boat trip around the island with stops for snorkling and a small lunch on a motu. We loved it. Our guide was Alex, he did a great job. email moanatours@mail.pf. Swam with snarks, manta rays. It was wonderful I would do it again. Afternoon we walked around town and shopped some. Others who went on Princess circle island tour said that the tour kept stopping at one shop after another shop until they finally said "NO MORE SHOPPING" They didn't really like it too well.

I hope this helps others. I wrote what I wanted to know before I went. You know about the ship and Princess, but the islands and info on what to do is of more interest. Hopefully it is some help to you.

Lovetotravel77

• 1 month later...

Archived