Which Hotel in FLL: Embassy or Marriott Beach

salamicruiser

I have booked the marriott beach for night in mid december, prior to embarking on cruise. We will have had two nights in Sawgrass (shopping), the Embassy suites has come up at roughly the same price - I will have an 18 year old and 15 year old. Which one would be best? (bearing in mind they enjoy eating!):) Thanks so much to the Trents for so much help on this trip!

Well Embassy Suites and I assume you mean Harbor Beach Marriott are apples and oranges. Embassy Suites is a very nice hotel in the middle of many many restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores, but the Harbor Beach Marriott is a gorgeous resort with a spectacular pool and on the nicest part of Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Strictly comparing hotels IMO Harbor Beach Marriott is a nicer hotel, but Embassy Suites rooms are true 2 room suites (currently being remodeled), and might be more comfortable for a family. I guess what's "best" depends on how much your family loves the beach and swimming. If they're not into that stuff then Embassy Suites is within walking distance of everything you could want (except the beach), but if they want to spend time on the beach or in the pool I would go with Harbor Beach Marriott and take a taxi to dinner if you don't want to eat at the hotel.

It's about 25-30 minutes from 17th Street to the Sawgrass Mills. Consider renting a car, its an easy drive and should cost less then cab fare. Why cab it from the Marriott? The water taxi stops right at your hotel and from there you'll have dozens of good restaurants to choose from. ;)

Couldn't get in to the Marriot Marina (full up) - the Embassy Suites swimming pool won't be up and running until the new year I have been told by reservations. How close is Publix? Thanks to you all for your advice. I worry about driving so afraid it will be cabs all the time! How far is the Marriott Beach from the Port? (yes, I know another question!).:rolleyes:

Harbor Beach Marriott is 5 minutes from Port Everglades, a couple more minutes to Publix. Publix is in a large strip mall behind Embassy Suites.

No need to worry about driving down here. It's flat, easy to get around, and everything's very well laid out... Go too far west and you hit the Everglades, go too far east and you hit the ocean ;)

I vote Embassy Suites. Nice Large rooms, free full breakfast and evening managers reception. Great Mexican restaurant right next door. Publix is behind Embassy. They will take you to the ship and drop you off at no additional charge and pick you up if you are staying when you come back from your cruise.

They're both nice hotels and they both have their advantages, but it's NOT a "no brainer" in favor of Embassy Suites. In fact, if you like the beach, want a hotel with a spa, or like a nice big pool then it's a "no brainer" in favor of Harbor Beach! Have you ever been IN the Harbor Beach Marriott? Not the Marina Marriott, but the Harbor Beach Marriott... The Harbor Beach Marriott is a 4-star RESORT & Spa, directly on the nicest, widest part of Fort Lauderdale Beach... http://www.marriottharborbeach.com/

While the Embassy Suites is in a "better" location as far as restaurants and stores go if you're on foot, and yes, the rooms are bigger, the Harbor Beach Marriott is a better hotel overall, and one that you really have no need to leave for anything.

When comparing these 2 hotels you have to decide what's more important to YOU, and that's something that no one can decide for someone else.

One shopping question is there an Old Navy close to Sawgrass Mills?;)

Afraid not. But there is one nearby, about a 15 minute drive from where you'll be staying . ;)

OLD NAVY

OAKWOOD PLAZA

3801 OAKWOOD BLVD

HOLLYWOOD, FL 33020

Phone: (954) 927-4256

When your at Sawgrass Mills be sure to check out Nordstrom Rack. A great selection of clothing at some really low prices.

I am really looking forward to Sawgrass, I think there is a cinema there so hope to finish off our shopping with dinner and film! I will certainly visit that shop you mention. I understand there is a supertarget and walmart very close - both stores we enjoy going to on our visit to the US.What other stores are nearby to Crowne Plaza, any in walking distance?:)

Yes, there's a Walmart in an out building at Sawgrass Mills, a Super Target that's attached to the mall, and a 23 screen movie theater.

You can access a directory on their website of all the stores in the mall... http://www.sawgrassmillsmall.com/

If you've never been to a Cheesecake Factory restaurant there's one of those in there you might like to try... http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/

They're EXCELLENT... VERY yummy!!! If your kids enjoy eating, they'll LOVE Cheesecake Factory! ;)

I understand there is a supertarget and walmart very close - both stores we enjoy going to on our visit to the US.What other stores are nearby to Crowne Plaza, any in walking distance?:)

Yes they're both nearby. There's also SAM's Wholesale club right next door to the Crowne Plaza. Even if your not a member you can get a day pass. Directly across the street is the Sawgrass Mills and yes, you can walk to it. http://www.sawgrassmillsmall.com/static/node784.jsp;jsessionid=aTN4iuTdrr6eWith over 300 name brand stores it will keep you busy for awhile.

On the ring road around the mall is the Bahama Breeze Restaurant. http://www.bahamabreeze.com/ If you've never been to one, try to. It will certainly put you in the mood for your cruise. It's within easy walking distance to the cinemas. So many options, so little time. ;)

I kept reading all the cruise critic info (hours and very addictive) trying to decide where my daughter and I should stay prior to our Christmas Cruise. I new that there were cheaper choices but not in favorable areas. Several of the main cruisers (Rev. Neal, Trent, others) always spoke favorable about the Embassy Suites. I had stayed previously at one in Memphis and enjoyed the experience. After seeing that they transported us to the port, provided a full breakfast in to boot, and where sitting close to great Restaurants we could try for dinner (following all the suggestions on this site), I decided that the 200. (a little less) was worth it, in order to start us off on an up beat for our cruise. As the days pass, I get more and more excited...

LInda

Archived