Cabin Air Conditioning

johnnylad67

Hi, am heading out to the Caribbean on Britannia for 14 nights in December and I don't cope well in air conditioned cabins, it just 'dries up' my airways, especially over night! I can always leave the balcony door open but I was wondering whether there are any electric fans they can provide instead? Has anyone managed to get hold of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, am heading out to the Caribbean on Britannia for 14 nights in December and I don't cope well in air conditioned cabins, it just 'dries up' my airways, especially over night! I can always leave the balcony door open but I was wondering whether there are any electric fans they can provide instead? Has anyone managed to get hold of one?

I know of folk who have got them...but they had to request them in advance. Suggest you phone P &O asap.

And a personal plea....to all with a balcony...nice as it is to have the door open, this can really b*****r up the aircon for other cabins. It can also cause noise elsewhere. The people in the cabin next to us on one cruise left their door open every night, and we could not understand why our aircon didnt work properly - at night only ( we were too hot)- and we had this persistent noise all night long that we could not identify. After 4 or 5 days we eventually spoke to reception about it, and apparently both problems were caused by next door leaving the balcony wide open at night. As soon as reception had a word with them, they stopped doing it and our problems stopped too! Fortunately for us they were a very nice couple, apologised to us and bought us a bottle of wine!

I find the best strategy to combat the dreaded dry throat syndrome is to adjust the red/blue hot/cold unit to as neutral as possible setting this will then not heat or cool much air and not pump out a huge volume of air either. Fill the sink with water at night plug is integrated into tap pillar, this humidifies the air a bit. Wedge the door open to the bathroom and it should be all right.

Regards John

And a personal plea....to all with a balcony...nice as it is to have the door open, this can really b*****r up the aircon for other cabins. It can also cause noise elsewhere. The people in the cabin next to us on one cruise left their door open every night, and we could not understand why our aircon didnt work properly - at night only ( we were too hot)- and we had this persistent noise all night long that we could not identify. After 4 or 5 days we eventually spoke to reception about it, and apparently both problems were caused by next door leaving the balcony wide open at night. As soon as reception had a word with them, they stopped doing it and our problems stopped too! Fortunately for us they were a very nice couple, apologised to us and bought us a bottle of wine!

I second this. On our 2015 Caribbean cruise on Britannia the corridor to the cabins and lift lobby was often uncomfortably warm, and we found our room was very hot at night. Mentioned it one day to the two stewards who worked our part of the corridor (they were both absolutely pouring sweat) and they said it was because of people leaving balcony doors open overnight. Apparently it also causes the ship to use more fuel (electricity working overtime? drag caused by open balconies?).

I've had that problem in the past - and found myself getting up every two hours or so to drink some water. I suspect that I must sleep with my mouth open. But it didn't seem to be a problem on my last cruise, on Aurora, and I wondered whether they could have improved the aircon during the last refit. Or maybe I've just got better at setting the controller optimally.

I find setting the control in the middle and the wet flannel on the bedside table stops me from getting a dry nose and throat, on all the ships. Nice though it is to open the balcony door, I don't really want to wreck everyone else's aircon!

Ask the steward for another hand towel or two if you have two air con units. Before you go to bed soak the towel in water, squeeze out till still wet and hang open on a wire coat hanger from the grid of the air con unit. leave in place overnight and ensure heating is turned down 3/4 way.

Secondly, a smear of vaseline in each nostril will certainly help.

Another tip is to take 'thin' cooker hood filter with you and place it between the air outlet and the grid. We left one in situ on disembarkation and on return to the same cabin six months later to find the filter black from the air con. Shows what we are breathing in so best to take all precautions especially if you have chesty problems.