Motor Scooters on St. Thomas?

Darcy8

Can you rent motor scooters on St. Thomas? Would it be easy to get around the island on a scooter? We are travelling with some folks who like to travel this way and thought it might be fun. Thanks for any info.

Darcy8

Looking in the phone book, the answer is no. The Island is very hilly, the roads are narrow, the traffic can be horendous and we drive on the left. All together a recipe for a vist to the local hospital.It is really not safe for motor scooters. Take a tour and go to the beach and then enjoy the rest of your cruise in good health.

B.

Spent a week on St. Thomas Jan 05 and the traffic is horendous. From what I saw stop signs and traffic lights are pretty much ignored. There is not a straight road on the island and pretty much the only direction to anywhere is either up or down with lots of hairpin turns in between. It rains frequently and briefly and wet roads on a scooter would be treacherous if not deadly.:eek:

We were in St. Thomas last week on the Jewel Repositioning and actually saw someone get hit by a truck on a motor scooter. She was in a crumpled heap by the side of the road. No looking good at all. Narrow roads, crazy drivers and lots of buses make for a dangerous combination with scooters.

I agree not to rent in St Thomas

I've rented scooters on Cozomel and Bermuda and you couldn't pay me to drive one on St Thomas. As previously mentioned the roads are very hilly, narrow and crowded with open air trucks carrying smart tourists. I remember large potholes and corners where the trucks carrying us would stop and honk to let anyone know coming the other way we were coming through no matter what. If you want the independance spend the money and rent a car instead.

Archived