Capt. Bob's for a NON SWIMMER

Crusin Karen

Went to St. Martin last year and toured with Bernard which was enjoyable. We also did a Spencer Ambrose water excursion in St. Lucia. For our January, 2018 cruise to St. Martin we would like to do something similar to Spencer and I have heard of and read about Capt. Bob. HOWEVER, we don't swim that much except to cool off and float around! :p And we have never snorkeled. His excursion seems to be mostly doing this from area to area and even his beach excursion requires you to swim to shore from his anchored boat. We are interested in seeing the island from the water as well as just relax. Would this be a good fit for us? TIA.

I used Mr Ambrose in St Lucia. He was fantastic. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and knee problems. I asked if his tour was doable. He said, yes. AND it was. There were 3 crew members on the boat and I swear they almost carried me when I was having problems. They were so very kind and considerate and I would do his tour again. And highly recommend that our for anyone in any kind of shape.

Captain Bobs tour, for me and my friend (we both have disabilities) was very difficult.

I also asked Bob specifically about this tour because we had mobility issues. He said absolutely no problem, BUT it was a HUGE problem. It was difficult getting on and off the boat. When we anchored to go to lunch, it was over our heads, not waist height. It may be for other anchoring but not this time. I have been on many speedboats but this one was very bumppy.Three of us got bruises.

It would be so easy for the captain to just put a ** and simply state, this tour may be difficult for people with joint pain or mobility issues. THEN we make our own decision.

Are you healthy- take this tour. Otherwise beware. When i posted this on trip advisor he responded with a very long letter contradicting everything I said. Kindness and empathy would go a long way with captain Bob, with trying to deal with the disabled.

Yes, Ambrose is the one who everything will be compared to. Thank you for sharing your experience. There is another current thread with 99.9% of people saying how great Capt. Bob is/was. I imagine for them he was/is. But one man wrote in with concerns and it is sometimes just a few experiences that will raise a flag. I do not have mobility issues but I do have a very unusual circumstance and it's the swimming to the beach for lunch which is the kicker for me. Wading, yes, but if the boat has to anchor in water over my head (and I'm only 5' :eek:) I don't want to have to swim to shore, and BACK! Sorry you had such a bad experience. I keep hoping to book another cruise to St. Lucia so I can go with Spencer Ambrose again! ;)

Yes, Ambrose is the one who everything will be compared to. Thank you for sharing your experience. There is another current thread with 99.9% of people saying how great Capt. Bob is/was. I imagine for them he was/is. But one man wrote in with concerns and it is sometimes just a few experiences that will raise a flag. I do not have mobility issues but I do have a very unusual circumstance and it's the swimming to the beach for lunch which is the kicker for me. Wading, yes, but if the boat has to anchor in water over my head (and I'm only 5' :eek:) I don't want to have to swim to shore, and BACK! Sorry you had such a bad experience. I keep hoping to book another cruise to St. Lucia so I can go with Spencer Ambrose again! ;)

We did have to swim in but i read others did not. I am sure if you say something that they will make sure you are in close enough

SaveSave

I was thinking of asking if we could anchor close enough that I wouldn't be over my head. But I realize sometimes they have no choice if it's not deep enough for the boat. Also, I feel kind of silly doing that kind of excursion, then saying I don't want to swim! I'll figure it out, but thanks for sharing your experience.

I used Mr Ambrose in St Lucia. He was fantastic. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and knee problems. I asked if his tour was doable. He said, yes. AND it was. There were 3 crew members on the boat and I swear they almost carried me when I was having problems. They were so very kind and considerate and I would do his tour again. And highly recommend that our for anyone in any kind of shape.

Captain Bobs tour, for me and my friend (we both have disabilities) was very difficult.

I also asked Bob specifically about this tour because we had mobility issues. He said absolutely no problem, BUT it was a HUGE problem. It was difficult getting on and off the boat. When we anchored to go to lunch, it was over our heads, not waist height. It may be for other anchoring but not this time. I have been on many speedboats but this one was very bumppy.Three of us got bruises.

It would be so easy for the captain to just put a ** and simply state, this tour may be difficult for people with joint pain or mobility issues. THEN we make our own decision.

Are you healthy- take this tour. Otherwise beware. When i posted this on trip advisor he responded with a very long letter contradicting everything I said. Kindness and empathy would go a long way with captain Bob, with trying to deal with the disabled.

Everything MotherChic says is correct. I was with Captain Bob two years ago. I am not disabled but did not want to be in water over my head to swim to my lunch. The ladder is ridiculous & not a real ladder,,,,more of a metal pole with sticks on either side. A real swim ladder would have helped everyone. And God forbid you point any of this out to him at the tour or after. he was absolutely combative to me when I posted a follow up review. he just needs to tell the truth....you need to be an active adult that can climb and swim and is not afraid of big waves over your head. But that would cut down on his business. To add insult to injury, his captain that day made fun of those that were afraid to get off and swim to lunch....they could have grabbed us something from the restaurant as it was paid for but their customer service is not the best. We too had bruises from the incredibly rough ride. And we ride in a go fast boat in Florida all the time and so are used to bouncing around. This was more like getting hit in the ribs every 3 rd wave we hit. This tour is best for those under 35 years of age. So I have made sure that when my friends go to St Martin they know all about capt Bob!

Everything MotherChic says is correct. I was with Captain Bob two years ago. I am not disabled but did not want to be in water over my head to swim to my lunch. The ladder is ridiculous & not a real ladder,,,,more of a metal pole with sticks on either side. A real swim ladder would have helped everyone. And God forbid you point any of this out to him at the tour or after. he was absolutely combative to me when I posted a follow up review. he just needs to tell the truth....you need to be an active adult that can climb and swim and is not afraid of big waves over your head. But that would cut down on his business. To add insult to injury, his captain that day made fun of those that were afraid to get off and swim to lunch....they could have grabbed us something from the restaurant as it was paid for but their customer service is not the best. We too had bruises from the incredibly rough ride. And we ride in a go fast boat in Florida all the time and so are used to bouncing around. This was more like getting hit in the ribs every 3 rd wave we hit. This tour is best for those under 35 years of age. So I have made sure that when my friends go to St Martin they know all about capt Bob!

Thanks for your input. I really want to do this, but I am really having second thoughts. There is another excursion similar to this that I am looking into.