Visiting the USS Iowa Before a Cruise

sjmbruce

I know once my husband finds out that the USS Iowa is so close to the cruise ship, he's going to want to visit it.

Our cruise departs on a Monday at 4:00 from San Pedro.

We will be spending the night in San Pedro on Sunday, but won't arrive in time to see the Iowa that day. On Monday, it opens at 10:00 and we'd like to start the boarding process for our cruise around noon.

Will a of couple hours be enough time to explore the Iowa?

Should be perfect...In fact, it makes sense to work this into the suggestion I made on another thread...Drive over to the terminal and drop your luggage at about 9:30 (I think they should be accepting luggage by then)...Then drive back over to Hertz or Enterprise, drop your car, then walk over to the Iowa...After your tour, just continue walking along the waterfront to your ship...

Should be perfect...In fact, it makes sense to work this into the suggestion I made on another thread...Drive over to the terminal and drop your luggage at about 9:30 (I think they should be accepting luggage by then)...Then drive back over to Hertz or Enterprise, drop your car, then walk over to the Iowa...After your tour, just continue walking along the waterfront to your ship...

That's a great idea! My next step was to try and figure out the whole drop off the car/lug bags/get to the pier issue. As long as they're accepting bags, that would be perfect for our morning. Thanks!

This sounds like a good idea for us too.

We have visited the Mighty Mo in Hawaii which is a sister ship of the Iowa. Is there anything unique about the Iowa that would be of interest (The Missouri was the ship on which WWII ended when the Japanese surrendered - plus there is a place where the ship was hit by a Kamikaze plane)?

Likely because it is so handy we will visit anyway, but the idea of checking in your luggage for the cruise first and then heading over sounds like a good plan.

Don

Is there anything unique about the Iowa that would be of interest?

Well...It has FDR's bathtub. FDR used the Iowa to get to the 1943 Teheran Conference to meet Stalin.

You can read the history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_(BB-61)

...or get other information on the official website:

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/

This sounds like a good idea for us too.

We have visited the Mighty Mo in Hawaii which is a sister ship of the Iowa. Is there anything unique about the Iowa that would be of interest (The Missouri was the ship on which WWII ended when the Japanese surrendered - plus there is a place where the ship was hit by a Kamikaze plane)?

Likely because it is so handy we will visit anyway, but the idea of checking in your luggage for the cruise first and then heading over sounds like a good plan.

Don

We also saw the Missouri when we were in Hawaii. We were part of a tour group so there was very limited time to explore on our own after a short tour on deck. I'm hoping we'll be able to see more this time around. Not having to lug bags around is an added bonus!