SOLO onboard

aharris0614

To all:

My mom (a very active and friendly 77yo) is thinking about doing the 120 day world cruise - but has never cruised solo before. She has always cruised as part of a group, or with a friend or family.

For those of you who have done the longer, extended itineraries in the past, do you think she would feel out of place? Is it mostly couples onboard? Are there any activities geared towards meeting fellow single cruisers? What is the evening entertainment like? She loves to dance.

Thanks so much!

Ann Marie

Ann Marie --

Good question. I can't answer it but I do have a couple of suggestions of where else to post this question so that you might get answers.

First, there is a thread called All Things World Cruise started so that people could ask and answer questions about the WC. I would ask there even though you have already started a new thread for the topic because you never know who is subscribed to the thread but isn't following VO forum on a regular basis..

Second, since Viking hasn't yet had its first WC, you might try posing this same question in the forums of other cruise lines that have already done them --if you haven't already done that. Your question is a general kind of question (i.e. not cruise line specific) but aimed at a very small audience of experienced world cruisers, so you will have a better chance of getting an answer if you ask your question in a number of different places.

Third, I was going to suggest finding the WC Roll Call but you are already one step ahead of me.

As to the long World Cruise - I wonder how many people are actually on for the entire cruise vs picking a week, or few weeks along the way?

As to doing SOLO - I would strongly suggest doing a week on another cruise first just to get a feel. I would guess some folks would be very happy going solo, and some would not like it. I would hate to think if someone decided to do a 100 day cruise realized a few days in they did not like cruising solo.

As to the long World Cruise - I wonder how many people are actually on for the entire cruise vs picking a week, or few weeks along the way?

The Viking World Cruise is not being broken down into segments; within three months of announcing it last April/May it was more than 60% sold out (don't know where that number stands today). The only choice was to start in Miami or Los Angeles (with the cabins that sold from LA being offered as a 3 week Miami to LA cruise).