Advice for May 1st in Rome

conquesodor

I will be in Rome on May 1st and leaving for a cruise the next day. I recently learned that May 1 is a big national holiday and that many things are closed.

If you have firsthand experience being in Rome on May 1, I'd love to get your advice on good things to do that day.

Sorry to confirm that most everything will be closed on May 1 -- and to compound the situation further, it is on a Monday this year so that even sites that may sometimes be open on May 1 but that are also closed on Mondays are not available to you.

The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill will be closed

The Vatican Museums (including the Sistine Chapel) are closed

The Pantheon is closed

Museums are closed

St. Peter's basilica is open

I've read that Castel Sant'Angelo is open, and their website doesn't list May 1 as a holiday, so it's likely...

Some churches will be open -- San Clemente (near the Colosseum) is worth a visit, certainly

Happily, many sites are outdoors -- you can visit Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, the Spanish Steps. You can get very good views of the Colosseum and Forums just by walking around them, assuming construction/restoration efforts allow a sight line. Some guide books provide good self-guided walking tours that may be just about the best option.

If there is something you REALLY want to see (e.g., the Vatican museums, inside of the Colosseum), make plans now to arrange a ticket or a tour early on the Tuesday morning before you head to the ship. There is no need to leave Rome early, you can get a half day of sightseeing in before you go to the port.