Never cruised before

Therain

I don't know what I'm doing. This is my first visit to cruise critic and my first cruise. Any information to help would be appreciated. I am going on Norwegian Escape May 27th to Western Caribbean.

Scroll down to Cruise Lines "A - O" and post your question(s) in the Norwegian Cruise Lines board.

Welcome to CC! AS the previous poster said, you can find NCL specific information on their board. There is a forum for first-time cruisers that will provide a lot of very helpful hints. You can post any cruise-general questions there and get kind assistance.

For help in the ports, there are forums for that as well :) Spend some time here and you will find enough information to make you feel like a seasoned cruiser before you even hit the port.

I don't know what I'm doing. This is my first visit to cruise critic and my first cruise. Any information to help would be appreciated. I am going on Norwegian Escape May 27th to Western Caribbean.

I found just reading lots of posts here was really helpful. I didn't really know what to expect or even what to ask, learned a lot form this board, and also the one linked for your cruise line.

A lot of great info on numerous forums. It took me a while before I was able to bookmark several different links. Take reviews with a grain of salt and don't get overly worried if you see bad reviews. I've yet to have a "bad" cruise as I'm going to have a great time and look at the glass 1/2 full. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Look under the Roll Calls section for NCL and then for your ship and see if someone has started a Roll Call thread for your sailing date. Active threads are a lucky break because they will very often include people with experience on your particular ship.

Also check out the Ports of Call ports and departure port that apply to your itinerary. Along with this check out TripAdvisor.com (sister site to CC) and post questions there for port stops. Designated Destination Experts (DEs) there are often locals with the inside scoop.

I can't recall where it was but there is a sticky thread somewhere with posting tips and one of them was to use as descriptive and specific a thread title as possible. Your's was reasonable but the one that most causes groans is "Questions???" - better might be "Questions about what kind of coffee creamer is available on the MV Minnow?"

It's so funny how complicated the cruise experience is. You've been given great advice. We felt just overwhelmed at first and didn't know any of the "jargon". Start with your roll call and then the ports and you'll be fine. We were super surprised at how much we loved our first cruise. The best info we gathered was how to pack, what to bring, how to check in, where to go and looking at the Dailies( schedule) in advance. You must be so excited!

Before each of our cruises, I always go on the website for the cruise line and read everything about my ship and also the FAQs.

My two pieces of advice for anyone: never fly into your embarkation port the same day of your cruise. If you live within driving distance, that might be good (we're an hour's drive from the Port of Los Angeles, and we would also be on the road by 10am...but have talked about staying by the port some time instead).

the other one: don't try to do everything onboard and in port. Part of the enjoyment of a cruise is taking time to relax. Look over the ship's daily newsletter and see if there's something interesting you want to do. Don't over book your port stays -- sometimes it's good to be flexible (and this is coming from someone who is a compulsive planner, myself).