PSA for Trip Insurance

slightlysilly

I am sitting at a lovely table by the pool at the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando. There is a snow storm in the northeast and the news said 2000 flights have been canceled for today. We board the Dream tomorrow. My cruise club is jam packed with really freaked out people.

For those who thought it smart to come in the day before the cruise, it wasn't such a good plan this time. For those who chanced it and decided to come in the day of, you probably lucked out big time.

If you are coming from the north in the winter time, get insurance to cover the cruise cost if you can't make it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so envious of you! I am in Eastern Washington State with a thousand feet of snow and currently freezing rain falling. Roads/schools/business closed. My cruise isn't until April, yet I still am worried we will still be snowed in by then :D

I agree that travel insurance is a pretty small price to pay for that peace of mind. There are a million things that can preclude a vacation from happening, and trip insurance helps cover some of them at least. I've never had to use it, but it is reassuring to know it's there.

Best wishes for your cruise. Enjoy!

I am sitting at a lovely table by the pool at the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando. There is a snow storm in the northeast and the news said 2000 flights have been canceled for today. We board the Dream tomorrow. My cruise club is jam packed with really freaked out people.

For those who thought it smart to come in the day before the cruise, it wasn't such a good plan this time. For those who chanced it and decided to come in the day of, you probably lucked out big time.

If you are coming from the north in the winter time, get insurance to cover the cruise cost if you can't make it!

I wouldn't be so sure that those who opted to fly in day-of "lucked out"...tonight's news referred to the nearly 5,000 flights cancelled today and suggested that it will take until mid-weekend for things to get even close to normal.

Tomorrow's flights will still be severely affected by this storm.

I wouldn't be so sure that those who opted to fly in day-of "lucked out"...tonight's news referred to the nearly 5,000 flights cancelled today and suggested that it will take until mid-weekend for things to get even close to normal.

Tomorrow's flights will still be severely affected by this storm.

But the people already booked on those flights for today and subsequent dates will be able to fly as they are booked. It's the people who were cancelled that will be massively delayed.

I must be missing something......You are in Orlando a day before your cruise. Great idea, but you know that part. You are comfortable. But the people flying in the day of the cruise are greeted with crazy departure weather are lucky? What am i missing? How did they luck out?

I must be missing something......You are in Orlando a day before your cruise. Great idea, but you know that part. You are comfortable. But the people flying in the day of the cruise are greeted with crazy departure weather are lucky? What am i missing? How did they luck out?

I believe OP was already in Orlando (arriving more than the day before). The people who planned to arrive the day before are facing the bad weather/airline delays.

The people who plan to arrive on embarkation day, apparently, are going to have good weather.

Not as simple as that. Even though the weather today is fine, almost all flights to Orlando out of Philly early this AM were delayed or cancelled because planes were out of position.

Whereas, if you were booked yesterday, once the snow stopped you may have had to go the long way, but you got there.

One person I helped get home from Houston to JFK went HOU-ATL-ORD-JFK... But they are home!

My point was to get trip insurance no matter if you are coming in the day before or day of. I know a lot of people advise to come in the day before and don't say anything about getting trip insurance, but a day before arrival wouldn't have helped anyone this week.

Edited to add: especially in the winter.

This happen to us in January. We were supposed to arrive the day before. Due to an ice storm they cancelled our flights, the night before we were supposed to take our flights to land the day before Cruise. They are going to put us on flight the day of our cruise. We opted to ditch the flights and drive to Miami. We were tired but we made it to our cruise.

Sent from my VS990 using Forums mobile app

The point is that travel insurance and coming in a day early are separate things and one really does not replace the other. Yes, I've joked about coming in a day early being "the best travel insurance," but in no way did I mean that it replaces insurance. Coming in a day early costs only a little and gives you a lot more options should something happen. Travel insurance will reimburse for some or all of your loss (depending on the policy) for a weather or other event. In addition, it will provide medical coverage that may not be part of your health insurance (again, depends on the policy). Different functions, both important.

This happen to us in January. We were supposed to arrive the day before. Due to an ice storm they cancelled our flights, the night before we were supposed to take our flights to land the day before Cruise. They are going to put us on flight the day of our cruise. We opted to ditch the flights and drive to Miami. We were tired but we made it to our cruise.

Sent from my VS990 using Forums mobile app

This is always our plan.

The past few years we have cruised in March, and weather can be all over the place. We plan to fly in the day before embarkation, and my husband always knows...if a storm is predicted and has a good chance to impact our plans, we will be in a one-way rental headed south...either to a location where we can easily get a flight OR all the way to Florida. We know we can get there in about 16-17 hours, tired but there in time to get on the ship without hoping and praying a flight can get us there after the storm.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you that book on opening day, do you get travel insurance directly from DCL or 3rd party? Since the reservation is fully refundable until PIF date, if one were to purchase a policy through a 3rd party, one would have paid for essentially nothing if the reservation is cancelled prior to that date. However, from what I understand, a policy through DCL ends to be expensive and I am not sure it's refundable if the reservation is cancelled.

LAX

I answered on your other thread where you asked nearly the same question. Thru DCL, the policy is fully refundable if you cancel before the penalty date. As you noted, policies thru DCL are costly and offer poor coverage compared to private purchases. See my other reply for the rest of the response.

I know credit cards cover collateral for rental cars... do any cover trip some portion of trip insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some do. You'll have to do some research what yours covers.

Often it's a minimal trip cancellation/delay coverage.

Yes, some cards offer a minimal amount of travel insurance, often with many restrictions. For instance, I have a card that requires a claim to be made within 7 days of occurrence. Translated, that means I'd have to be messing with filing a claim while I was on the trip if the delay occurred at the beginning. My private insurance allowed me 90 days to make a claim--meaning that I had time to get the necessary documents from the cruise line, etc.