Wine prices in MDR

janny444

Hi everyone, does anyone know what the wines would typically cost back home? We think that most of the wines at £15 to £18 are no better than Supermarket wines at 1/2 the price.

By back home do you mean in a restaurant back home?

If so, then I think the pricing is pretty comparable. A £15 to £18 bottle on P&O would be the same price (or more) in a UK restaurant.

As comparing it to supermarket prices, then I would expect a 300 to 400% mark up to achieve the restaurant price, so a £5 bottle in the supermarket would be on the menu for £20.

For P&O, depending on the itinerary, there is the additional profit by the wine being duty free so saving on the excise duty and VAT on purchase and not having to account for VAT on the sale, around £4 extra profit on a £20 bottle.

I think P&O provide amazing value when it comes to drinks. I've found the markup to be far lower than in local resturants.

I have one example. In previous years P&O have sold a year old Escale Pinot Noir at around £15-£16 a bottle. It's a about £10 from a shop, and the local resturant chain Cote - £35.

I think that is more than reasonable.

Hi everyone, does anyone know what the wines would typically cost back home? We think that most of the wines at £15 to £18 are no better than Supermarket wines at 1/2 the price.

As others have said that's quite good since most restaurants will charge 3-4 times supermarket prices for their wines.

The wine price as with all the drinks prices on P&O are excellent compared to Cunard and the American lines. The onboard spend including tips is a big part of the total spend and with the weak pound now the overall on board spend will now be far less than the other lines who charge in $'s.

You cannot compare unless it is exactly the same wine. The only one we have found is the Billi Billi which is £18 on the ship. After lots of searching in shops we did find some at £14.50 a bottle.

Just done a check on the internet and found it for £12.00 if you buy one bottle and down to £11 if you buy 6 that is with a different company. So on that bottle the mark up is no where near the 100% you indicate above.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've yet to find a supermarket with the ambiance and service that I had in Oceana's Ligurian Restaurant just over a week ago.

Neither have I priced the cost of wine glasses and dishwasher powder in supermarkets but I'm sure it all adds up.

:rolleyes:

I've yet to find a supermarket with the ambiance and service that I had in Oceana's Ligurian Restaurant just over a week ago.

Neither have I priced the cost of wine glasses and dishwasher powder in supermarkets but I'm sure it all adds up.

:rolleyes:

Oh I don't know, the cafe at our Morrisons is not bad. :). :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am happy to the pay premium for wine when in a restaurant environment. Personally, I think that P&O is very fair with its pricing of drinks

I think their prices are amazing! I generally cruise on American ships and they are pretty pricey. I checked the link to drink prices on P&O just yesterday and thought Wow! Look forward to trying some premium wines on my cruise in May.:)