Adriatic affair

of these, I've only done Dubrovnik

We caught the local bus outside the port to Pile Gate and walked the walls, well worth doing, you get some amazing views. The taxis by the ship are 13euros, by the bus station 2 mins away they are 10euros and the bus (that is on the road outside the bus station) its 150Kuna - get the 1a or 1b to Pile. You use the same stop at Pile to return which is only 3 mins from the Gate into the old town.Then had a beer and a wander and caught the bus back.

The walls only take Croatia currency(Kuna) for cash payments or you can use a credit card (possibly not AMEX I think)

The old town is lovely to wander round so unless you want to see anything specific, I wouldn't bother with a tour.

Split is easily explored on your own, but worth reading up about before you go so you know what you're looking at. (From someone who'd never heard of Diocletian before we stepped ashore there!)

Koper has a really good Hop on/off bus service from the dockside- you don't actually hop on and off- it's a trip to a lovely seaside town called Piran with scenic stops on the way. They give you 2 hours to explore there on your own then same bus back. Koper itself is attractive but very small.

In Venice you have the option of Thomson's trip which drops you off at St Mark's square and brings you back after 2-3 hours, or making your own way to waterbus to do the same thing (it can be a bit confusing). But if you want to see inside the main buildings then I'd book a trip here as it gets VERY crowded and the queues are long.

If you book the Doges Palace Secret Itinerary tour online, you get to jump the queue to enter the Doges Palace. About 12 people tour the attics of the palace where Casanova was said to have been imprisoned after which you are free to tour the palace by yourself

Were going to venice, split, dubrovnik, pula, koper and zadar.

Sent from my D5803 using Forums mobile app

Just my opinion, but:

Venice - I've both walked in and caught the monorail to Piazza Roma (I think!) and walked into St Mark's Square - you see so much just following the canals.

Split - I went on tour to the waterfalls at Krka National Park - good if you like nature.

Dubrovnik - first time I accidentally missed my tour & ended up walking into the city & round the walls on my own. By chance I found out how easy it is to explore on your own. Second time I went on the wine tasting mini-train - fabulous!! Though I did spend afternoon sleeping the morning's drinking off 😉

Koper - would highly recommend the Postojnska Jama cave tour!

Zadar - quite small and easy to explore on your own. Dont miss the sea organ on the opposite side of town from the port?

It's a fab itinerary. Enjoy!